CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar

Need Help Selecting Wedge

Hi,

I'm having all sorts of problems hitting my sand wedge and was wondering what users on the forum would recommend for a different type of wedge.

About 80% of my shots using my sand wedge are "skulled" If I end up not "skulling" the ball, I will hit a line drive that will fly 150. My sand wedge is 56 Degree with 12 degree bounce. I have no problems hitting my other irons. What would be your recommendations for loft bounce and forgiveness.

thx..
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    With all due respect your wedge specs are fine. I would suggest taking a lesson or practicing a couple hours to get the feel for sand. From what you posted you are hitting the ball first instead of hitting the sand first. Pick a spot 1 to 2 inches behind the ball and blast the sand.

My problems are not in the sand. I have no problems whatsoever hitting in the sand.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Sorry I misunderstood your comments.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    12 degrees of bounce is a lot to play off the fairway. My gap wedge has 4 degrees, my lob wedge has 6.

the more bounce you have, the more often you will blade the ball (off short grass) because the blade actually sits up quite high.

I would suggest the Titleist Vokey or Cleveland wedges ... I carry 4 wedges, PW, GW, SW and LW (47, 51, 56 and 60). My 56 (SW) has the most bounce with 8. I really like the dark colored "rust" wedges.

GolfWorks can make you custom wedges with a lot of possible combinations of loft and bounce

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    Are you playing the ball back in your stance or toward the middle? Right now the grass is soft and if you are playing the ball back in your stance you should be ok.

Swing thought - hit down on the ball to go up! (follow through)

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I have a Cleveland 56* SW with 12 degrees of bounce and had the same problem as you. Then I learned(and still learning) to hit down on the ball and the skulling went away.

72 Divots
    Hello,

Sounds like it may be a bounce issue - particularly for firmer fairways. I tried some wedges at Kevin Haimes before purchasing and found the process most helpful. Unless your going the cheap route, I always suggest trying before buying.

Sand Wedge davemiddle is on a distinguished road
    I agree with the person who said to play the ball furthre back in your stance.

With a sand wedge and that amount of bounce playing the ball too far forward leaves little room for error. You have to hit it perfect other wise you skull it and it goes 75 yards about 10 feet off the ground.
    Try to play it slightly back of center - when I was shown this the first time it was rather uncomfortable but after getting used to hit- my distance control got much better and I rarely skull it
    This worked for me- good luck

Thanks Guys, these are great tips. I wil lsurely try this and hope it helps.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead
    Hi,

I'm having all sorts of problems hitting my sand wedge and was wondering what users on the forum would recommend for a different type of wedge.

About 80% of my shots using my sand wedge are "skulled" If I end up not "skulling" the ball, I will hit a line drive that will fly 150. My sand wedge is 56 Degree with 12 degree bounce. I have no problems hitting my other irons. What would be your recommendations for loft bounce and forgiveness.

thx..
    If the courses you play most often have soft, fluffy sand in the bunkers and deep, thick rough - then my advice would be to keep your 56* sand wedge with 12 degree bounce for those shots and get a low-bounce gap wedge to use from the fairways. If you don't have room for a gap wedge, then get a sand wedge with less bounce.

Personally, I think that (whenever possible) you are always better of to get equipment that is suited to your swing rather than changing your swing to suit your equipment.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    [/QUOTE]
    Personally, I think that (whenever possible) you are always better of to get equipment that is suited to your swing rather than changing your swing to suit your equipment.[/QUOTE]

.....ya, once the swing is developed...... I think it is really easy to spend alot of money changing equipment when the swing is not finnished developing.
    I went out and had a set of shafts bent to compensate for what has turned out to be a 'too upright' stance. If the 56* 12bounce is hard to hit and the other clubs are working out, a couple of weeks at the range and a couple of rounds working on the kinds of sugestions above just might solve the problem.
    .......and it sure is fun to buy more equipment he!he!

Thread Information