CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Ball Flight Preference (General)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low Straight

1 2.50%
  • Low Fade

0 0%
  • Low Draw

1 2.50%
  • Medium Straight

7 17.50%
  • Medium Fade

5 12.50%
  • Medium Draw

13 32.50%
  • High Straight

1 2.50%
  • High Fade

2 5.00%
  • High Draw

10 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road

Ball Flight Preference

What is your general preferred ball flight (poll) and what is your actual ball flight (comment)?

When I am talking about ball flight, I am also saying the preferred trajectory in addition to direction.

You can also comment on preferred ball flight for different shots (tee shot, approach shot).

I'll start.

For Driver or Tee shots, I would prefer to hit a medium to high slight draw, but I am playing a high cut. Tough to get any roll in Ottawa courses.

For long irons, I would prefer to hit a high slight draw, but usually is a high push or low punch.

Medium irons down to wedges, I prefer a medium slight draw, and is usually the case if I hit it right but misses tend to be on the right.
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Personally I would love to be like my wife----conversation goes like this me---" where did you end up ? " her "in the middle of the fairway--where else ? " It was only 150 yds---I bought her a dozen balls for xmas 2 years ago and she still has 10 left---you have to love a consistent golfer---it's cheaper
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Not sure how I compare with the pros, but I hit a "high" ball compared to those I have played with over the last 10 years. In the last few years I have worked on my set up on drives and have increased my distance from 200-210 to 230-240, and part of that is due to lowering my launch angle a bit. I would prefer med launch angle with a slight draw. I tend to wrist-flip (long story) so my mid-irons tend to lose distance due to high launch angle. Want to learn how to chip/pitch and run, but for now inside 150 (PW > 7i) I like to see a nice high shot drop on the green and stay within 10yds.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I prefer the medium fade with my driver. It allows me to eliminate the left side of the fairway, plus trying to draw the ball feels too awkward for me. I don't really have a preferred ball flight with my approach shots as there are too many things that dictate the shot selection. My preferred approach shot is 90-120 yards where I can hit a controlled knocked down into the flag, but that obviously doesn't happen every hole.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    prefer a high draw as that is my natural shot shape. If i could hit it straight every time, I'd probably prefer that though.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

7 Iron Roach is on a distinguished road Roach's Avatar
    Now on my part I am working realy hard on a nice push medium draw. Honestly I rarely risk it in a game situation but it looks so good on the range

I am more medium fade type of guy. It's not the shot I like to see but it keeps me in the fairway most of the time. The shorter the club the straighter it goes, so on shorter shots I focus more on the heigh then left or right movement.
    Will I learn how to chip?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Yes I prefer ball flight
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Yes I prefer ball flight
    I'm with Pablo on this one....I just want to see some flight for my ball!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I didn't vote because every hole is different. You wouldn't want to hit a cut on a dogleg right, would you? HAHA!

Anyway...different for every hole so that's my answer.

The one thing I can say, is I want to hit my irons higher, since I have a lower more penetrating flight at the moment, which is not ideal for our small greens.

7 Iron Tee made is on a distinguished road Tee made's Avatar
    "You wouldn't want to hit a cut on a dogleg right, would you? HAHA!"

Unless you are right handed...

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Typo. Meant dogleg left if you're right handed.

Point is. Every hole is different. Which should have been conveyed whether or not I did not type it correctly.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Medium straight for me , I can't seem to change it very much , Although right now I'd just be happy to hit it anywhere down the middle'ish.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    My mi is a hook so I spent the entire winter last year at golf school learning how to hit a fade. That really helped me in throughout the season knowing that my ball would be "somewhere" right of where I was aiming. That said, I've started to be able to shape my shots and hit fades/draws when I need them. Golf has never been more fun! Although I can understand Tiger's frustration on the left & left problem he has, because man does those balls go far into the bush!

Bouche
    Duck hook nation!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Medium straight for me. Ideally, I like to hit my irons straight and hit a very slight draw with my driver. I don't mind hitting it high, just not sky high. I'll take the moon ball long irons, but you can keep the sky scraping floaty short irons.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    My preference is anything that isn't a worm burner...lol

1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar
    My preferred ball shot would be dead straight of course, wouldnt want it any other way. At this point I have a slight draw on my normal drives and long irons. Once i get near the 9iron and below, I get a little fade. Really easy to control, when I know what I have. Take a few shots on the range before every game allows me to see my ball flight for that day.

I have worked really hard on my ball flight over the years, and have finnaly gotten to that "one miss"... Which means if I hit a bad shot it is always a snap hook...
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    My preference would be for the ball to fly into the hole.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    I like to see a medium/high draw. Of course thats only what I'd like to see.
    Most of the time it is what it is and that could be anything!

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    With every club I hit, I seem to get a sky high shot. I hit one 7-iron on a par-3 at Renfrew GC that was in the air for about 6-7 seconds before touch down. Same thing happened with my drive on the next hole with far less spectacular results...

High and straight from 150 in, but a low, boring trajectory elsewhere. That's the dream.

Thread Information