CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar

Golf swing analysis software...

Hey all, does anyone have any experience with any software out there for analyzing your golf swing using a digital camcorder?

I see there are many various software products out there, but I'm just curious if any of you guys have tried anything for yourselves.

Thanks,

5 Wood mike k is on a distinguished road
    http://www.cswing.com/

Free Trial here: http://www.cswing.com/freetrial1.html

I suggest you download the free trial to discover swing analysis software features. Then you can intelligently decide which features are more important (quality of video, ability to freeze frames clearly, analysis features, etc.).

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Thanks Mike, I'll definitely check that out...it looks good. Have you actually used this one before? Seems reasonably priced as well.

5 Wood mike k is on a distinguished road
    I haven't used it. With software, I recommend using a 'free' version to familiarize yourself with the general features of that type of software; then, when you're looking to purchase, you know what to look for.

The other part of swing analysis is the 'analyzer'. That's where your visit to the teaching pro becomes most valuable, IMHO.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by guyfrompei
    Hey all, does anyone have any experience with any software out there for analyzing your golf swing using a digital camcorder?

I see there are many various software products out there, but I'm just curious if any of you guys have tried anything for yourselves.

Thanks,
    The link to the company below may be related to your question.
    http://www.modelgolf.com/

You apparently plug in your physical dimensions and a model golf swing is constructed for you. Then, using video, they will compare your swing to the model, and suggest how to get yours closer to the models. Sound logical?

The cynic( critical thinking) in me asks, Who decides what the model swing looks like? David Leadbetter? Jim MacLean? Kevin Haime? If they average the swings of world class players and then suggest that you move towards that average, then, it's just too subjective. If you are built like Fred Couples and try to swing like him, you probably won't break 100. But, if you try to swing like Ben Hogan, I won't play you for money.

Gap Wedge dlaville is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

You apparently plug in your physical dimensions and a model golf swing is constructed for you. Then, using video, they will compare your swing to the model, and suggest how to get yours closer to the models. Sound logical?
    This isn't how it works. I've been to their teaching center and in the model so I have first hand experience. First they measure you and then the model is sized to your physical dimensions. The model is based on what 100+ touring pros all do in common, they don't construct a swing for you.

The cynic( critical thinking) in me asks, Who decides what the model swing looks like? David Leadbetter? Jim MacLean? Kevin Haime? If they average the swings of world class players and then suggest that you move towards that average, then, it's just too subjective.
    The model is not averages. 72,000 data points were recorded for each swing with different clubs. When they finished they kept all the data points that matched and threw out all the ones that differed. The model is a composite of what they all did the same.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.
    The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dlaville
    This isn't how it works. I've been to their teaching center and in the model so I have first hand experience. First they measure you and then the model is sized to your physical dimensions. The model is based on what 100+ touring pros all do in common, they don't construct a swing for you.

The model is not averages. 72,000 data points were recorded for each swing with different clubs. When they finished they kept all the data points that matched and threw out all the ones that differed. The model is a composite of what they all did the same.
    Thanks for the explanation.

My observations indicate that "most" Tour pros have swings that are quite upright(double plane) whereas the truly great ball strikers, Moe Norman, Ben Hogan, George Knudson and the like, had significantly flatter, closer to single plane swings. The farther the lead arm is above coinciding with the shoulder plane at the top of the swing, observing from the down-the-line view, the harder it is for we mortals to get the club back down to a position where straight shots will occur.

The Tour pros are highly talented and have the inate ability to compensate for various swing faults and still play world class golf. Rather than develop a swing model based on what Tour pros do “in common,” why not develop a swing model based on physics/engineering, instead of swings that were developed based on perception and feeling? Is this not what, at least in part, TGM is all about? Would our ball striking not be better if we swung more like a Chad Campbell, Zack Johnson, Ben Hogan, MAC O’GRADY (hope I don’t ruffle any feathers) than if we swung like Scott Hoch, Jim Furyk, Phil, or Tiger? Both groups do have a lot in common, obviously, but perhaps it's the subtle differences here that are more important in our becoming better players.

My uneducated guess is that if we looked at a large number of the best, most consistent ball strikers, (accuracy first), that some of what they do in common would be different from what the broad spectrum of Tour pros do.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

The cynic( critical thinking) in me asks, Who decides what the model swing looks like?
    BC, I believe it is the same guys (Griffin and Mann) that wrote the book Swing Like A Pro - where they analysed the swings of 100+ pros to see what they had in common. If you are familiar with the book, then this is an extension of that research.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Andru
    It's all between the toes. That's the only thing the pros do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    BC, I believe it is the same guys (Griffin and Mann) that wrote the book Swing Like A Pro - where they analysed the swings of 100+ pros to see what they had in common. If you are familiar with the book, then this is an extension of that research.
    I had heard of this kind of analysis being done, however, I was not aware of this particular book.

I know that I should not prejudge the concept, but if 100 Tour pros have an "upright" swing, for example, "in common," I want to know whether this kind of swing is easier to learn AND, most importantly, whether it results in better ball striking, for the masses, not just the Tour pros. That is why I like a little physics( Ideal Mechanical Advantage?) brought into the picture, to confirm or deny that what is popular, or "in common," or perceived as being better, actually is. Using my example of having "upright" in common, I currently believe that this characteristic is a "fault," or is less efficient, than a flatter swing plane. As I have stated in this forum elsewhere, many former upright swingers have significantly flattened their swings over the years, Jack and Tiger and Ben Hogan to name just three, and IMO, this evolution did/will make them better ball strikers, and if we wannabees were to follow that trend, we would be better off.

Perhaps I am being rebellious, but, I don't believe in copying the swings of the Tour pros, just because they are Tour pros.

I know that Roger Beale, formerly of The Marshes and now playing the Canadian Tour, has modified his swing based on the Model concept, and apparently is playing better because of it.

You have, however, piqued my interest in the book, and at less than $20 from Amazon, it may be a worthwhile read.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    You have, however, piqued my interest in the book, and at less than $20 from Amazon, it may be a worthwhile read.
    With your obvious interest in the "physics" of the golf swing, I'm sure you will find it is a very interesting book to read. It is not really a golf instruction book (although there are some drills included) - it is more like a report on the findings from their bio-mechanical research on the golf swing.

Also available at the Ottawa Public Library, if you want to save the $20!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Putter golferallyear is on a distinguished road

Golf Analysis Software

Have you ever tried a product call MotionPro!? It's a great product that cost much less then other Golf analysis software.

You can download a trial version at: http://www.pdsoftec.com/downloaddemolicense.htm

Thread Information