100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron Yongchai is on a distinguished road

GC2: different carry numbers between Ipad app and Creative software

After hitting a couple of shot on the Creative demo and using a bluetooth link to capture the ball data on the ipad app, I have found that i generally get an extra 10 yards of carry on the Creative software demo as compared to the app. (not due to wind/elevation changes, at least not that i am aware of)

I guess they both use the same measured data (ie, ball speed/spin/launch angle/etc), but have different equations for calculating carry distance?

The thing is, i feel the Creative demo more accurately estimates my carry distance. Is there anyway to calibrate the GC2 to increase carry distance or change the firmware so that carry distance equation on the GC2 is comparable to Creative software? (i am using latest firmware 3.5.1.0)
    Last edited by Yongchai; 05-06-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I think what you are seeing is that the GC2 on it's own calculates the ball carry at sea level. So no matter where you are in the world you will see the same carry with the same shot, where in real life you may get more yards at your course due to temp. etc. and all other factors. The courses will calculate the carry slightly longer as will the driving range even on the other FS software. I have the one course and range package and that always shows more carry than the GC2 reads. Most times you won't know this unless you have the voice on to tell you the yardage. Even in the Red Chain software and courses there will be some courses that don't give you as much carry as others, some times as much as a club less.

We just started getting out on the real course here, however the temp. has not been great, and I still have not been able to take the GC2 to the course and hit some shots to compare how much I need to add to the GC2 number to get what I get here.

Too bad there was not an elevation setting in the GC2 menu to adjust to your own area.

Well considering that bangkok is only around 1.5m above sea level and its pretty near the coast where humidity is high, the carry i get in real life should be close to what GC2 calculates... So it doesn't seem that sea level calculation should be a factor in the reduced carry that i'm noticing in the GC2.

And since i have only seen people on this site complain about reduced carry and not over carry, i'm surprised that foresight does not just change their alogorithms to increase carry.

Besides, what better way to make their customers feel better about themselves.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Are you able to take the GC2 outside to the course and hit a few to compare or is that not possible?

Mats we hit off of indoors tend to be the main reason for a loss in yardage from most of the posts.

I understand if you hit a fat shot, there'll probably be reduced carry because the mat has more drag than real grass, but if you hit it properly and hit ball first why is there reduced carry? Does the ball not compress properly into the mat like in grass?

I'm using real feel golf mats and to eliminate the mat variable, i hit the ball teed up but still get reduced carry.

Will try bringing the unit out today to compare.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I thought there were some other threads where this was noted in the past on this forum? I had thought the person had either a defective unit or the issue was resolved by either raising the unit so that it was slightly higher or by ensuring alignment was spot on. Based on your location, the only other variable that I could think of is temperature. The ball flies farther in warmer temps and perhaps when you golf it is warmer than what the cg2 is set at.

Thread Information