CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Great Piece on DMD's

For those who are familiar with Dean Ryan, you know his pedigree as a top-notch Rules Official, former Golf Canada Rules Chair and Joint Rules Committee member. He also has officiated in a large number of PGA Tour events and majors. Here's his take on the current state of distance measuring devices and smart phones, in this month's issue of Flagstick.

http://flagstick.com/features/2014/0...e-golf-course/
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    On the other side of the ledger, using the spirit-level, clinometer, anemometer (wind speed) apps on your phone will result in result in disqualification. Should your Smartphone be equipped with any of these features, you may continue to use the permissible apps, provided you don’t access the “prohibited” apps during your round.

This appears to be in conflict with the two blue boxes in the flowchart published earlier by the R&A and USGA.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    That's not the way I read the chart AAA. Dean has it the way I read it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    My interpretation of the flow chart:
    1. If my smartphone has a distance measuring application, I may use it. (Assume LR allowing in effect)
    2. If my distance measuring application also measures wind, etc., I may NOT use it.
    3. If my smartphone has a distance measuring application AND a SEPARATE wind measuring app, I may NOT use it.
    How am I doing?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    What is the difference in # 2&3 as both require a sensor for measuring the wind speed and therefore cannot be used. If the separate app is getting a wind speed reading from somewhere other than the phone then it is fine.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    The difference I see is that the APP that you are using for yardage, assuming it's a specific golf related app, does not have the ability to measure wind speed, etc. And you would have to exit out of the app and access a separate one to get that information. So it's ok to use that golf yardage app. However if said app has both abilities you may not use it. Not sure if that clears up the difference between the two.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I emailed Dean for clarification. Here's his reply...

Good morning Rich,

I trust all is well with you. Thanks for reading my article… it’s refreshing to know that at least two people have read it!

You bring up an excellent point. You’lI be comforted to learn that some brilliant rules minds have asked the same question, so you’re in good company!! I believe the confusion rests with the flowchart and how it’s presented and the wording.

On the “Multi-functional device" side of the flowchart, it delineates between the functionality of the device and the functionality of the actual distance-measuring application. It may sound like semantics, but you have to remember that the term "multi-functional device", extends beyond smartphones. This is accomplished in the flowchart by asking two questions:

1) “Is the distance-measuring application capable of measuring conditions or providing information other than distance (e.g. wind speed, temperature… ?”. If the distance-measuring application isn’t capable of measuring or providing any other information, then…

2) “Does the device contain other applications or features that, if referenced at any time during the round, might assist the player in his play… ?”

Therefore, if the actual distance-measuring app, provides slope, wind speed, temperature, etc., the device, as a DMD, doesn’t conform with the Rules, because the app itself doesn’t comply…. go directly to jail, do not pass Go and do not collect $200!! However, if the distance-measuring app does comply, i.e., only measures distance, then the player may use the device provided none of the "non-compliant” apps are accessed during the round.

Essentially, we’re trying to protect players (i.e., not trap them), who use smartphones as DMDs and the phone has other apps installed which may be a breach of the Rules. Provided the player doesn’t access those other apps… no harm, no foul.

Let me know of this helps.

Regards,
    Dean
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I emailed Dean for clarification. Here's his reply...
    Excellent. Thanks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Rich,

Are these two statements not contradictory?

R&A. If there are other features or applications on the phone that can specifically gauge or measure conditions that might affect the player’s play, such as an anemometer or thermometer, this would render the device non-conforming for use as a distance-measuring device, regardless of the fact that these other features or applications are used or not.

Dean. However, if the distance-measuring app does comply, i.e., only measures distance, then the player may use the device provided none of the "non-compliant” apps are accessed during the round.

My iPhone has an app called "Wind Meter" which, I discovered today, actually works. It also has "GolfLogix" as it's distance measuring application. As I interpret the R&A statement, if I was to use my iPhone's DMD when playing with the LR in effect, it would be non conforming whether or not I use the "Wind Meter" app. But it seems in Dean's statement that if I did not use the wind app, I would be OK.

Dean's statement makes sense, but it does seem to conflict with the R&A's.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    That's not the way I read the chart AAA. Dean has it the way I read it.
    You are correct. His original statement -
    Should your Smartphone be equipped with any of these features, you may continue to use the permissible apps, provided you don’t access the “prohibited” apps during your round.
    corresponds exactly with the lower of the two blue diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Rich,

Are these two statements not contradictory?

R&A. If there are other features or applications on the phone that can specifically gauge or measure conditions that might affect the player’s play, such as an anemometer or thermometer, this would render the device non-conforming for use as a distance-measuring device, regardless of the fact that these other features or applications are used or not.

Dean. However, if the distance-measuring app does comply, i.e., only measures distance, then the player may use the device provided none of the "non-compliant” apps are accessed during the round.

My iPhone has an app called "Wind Meter" which, I discovered today, actually works. It also has "GolfLogix" as it's distance measuring application. As I interpret the R&A statement, if I was to use my iPhone's DMD when playing with the LR in effect, it would be non conforming whether or not I use the "Wind Meter" app. But it seems in Dean's statement that if I did not use the wind app, I would be OK.

Dean's statement makes sense, but it does seem to conflict with the R&A's.
    Lyle,

I know what you're getting at. I think the language in the second "diamond" on the right side is awkward, and that's where I was having trouble. The phrase "if referenced at anytime during a round" is the magic bullet here though. If that's not there, the statement takes on a completely different meaning, IMO.

For all I know, I could be reading to wrong though. I'm just the messenger here. You need to go to the source.

Thread Information