100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

I have way to many clubs in my bag

I have way to many clubs... what don't I need???

2lh
    pw
    sw
    lw
    putter
    3w
    5w
    7w
    driver
    Chipper
    extra putter
    Lovett wedge

Here is the problem.

I can't decide what putter to keep so I know I have to get rid of one. The chipper was something I got when I first started so i'm pulling that from the bag as well. Selling the lovett because it sucks So that brings me down from 19 to 16. I still need to drop two clubs.

I was thinking of getting rid of the 5 wood and 7 wood. but everyone is telling me to get rid of the driver and the 7 or the driver and the 2HL (ping 2 high launch iron)

Another question I had was... How much would someone have to choke down on a 3 wood to make it go the same distance as a 5 wood? Or does it not work like that?

thanks

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I would personally keep the set 3-pw, sw, lw and then either go Driver, 3w and 5w or throw the hybrid in place of the 5 wood. Personally what i do is interchange the 5w and hybrid depending on the conditions. On a windy day i will use the hybrid because it flies lower, use the 5w when you don't have to worry about wind or when you have par 5's that are carries over water and you can reach in two.

Its all personal preference, what you like to hit. Right now i use a driver, 3w, hybrid 18*, 4-pw, gw, sw, lw and putter.

Just feel i get much more use out of a gw then a 3 iron.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I agree with Dave. I use driver, 3w, 20* hybrid. I have a 2-sw set but am looking to remove the 2 and 3 irons in favor of a gw and lw. With 4 wedges you'll have all the distances from 130 and in covered.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Currently in the bag are Driver, 3W, 5W (new), 4i -> LW, putter.

Four wedges is the way to go. It gives you lots of options from 100 yards in.

I took out the 3 iron because I found that from the fairway I just wasn't that consistent with it and the 5W gives me a club I can hit anywhere from 190 to 220 yards. A hybrid would be another option instead of the 5W but I haven't seen one that I like.

"Richard"
    The ben hogan hybrid is really nice. I like it in steel.

So how does this sound...

driver
    3w
    pitch
    sand
    lob
    gap
    Putter
    Utility (20 degree) to replace my 3 iron and my 7 wood

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If everyone is telling you to pull the driver, maybe there is a reason. Seriously if you are just starting or do not hit it well and have no confidence why carry it? Try 3w,5w,7w,4-pw,sw,lw and putter. For the last club either get your hands on a gap wedge or a hybrid to get rid of the 4 iron, which everone suits your game. If later you start to hit the driver better add it and knock out another club as you see fit.
    Denny

looks like a good set-up. If you are using a 20* hybrid, i would use a 3 wood with about 16* to not make that gap too huge, but like i said before a 5* gap in between a 3w and hybrid is better than a 5* gap between pw and sw

"Richard"
    hey denny, I just started palying last but I'm already shooting in the 90s (mid to high) and this year I'm hoping to get that into the high 80s with a few lessons and a lot of rounds. I hit them all well (as well as can be expected) but i hook the driver sometimes and I can hit my 3 wood almost as far as I can hit my driver. Thats the only reason they are telling me to take it out. Also, the 3 wood is pretty much straight everytime. 3 wood goes between 245 and 260

driver goes about 265 when its straight (which is 50/50)

"Richard"
    hey dave, I can't use a 16* 3 wood becuase I already have my three wood. I can buy a 19* hybrid to make the gap less. What do you think?

How does this look??

I could dump the 2hl, and 3i and the driver... get the hybrid and It would look something like this

2 hybrid
    pw
    lw
    sw
    gw
    3w
    5w
    putter

personally i like this latest setup, if you are hitting the 3 wood just as long and much straighter than the driver take it out of the bag. Maybe after some more rounds and a lesson or two, you will get better with it and think its worth it to use it. For the first year i didn't use a driver and saw my beginner buddies struggling trying to hit theres. Good setup to me

"Richard"
    Nice, the only problem is that I paid sooooo much money for this driver. I guess I'll just have to sell it on ebay. Good thing about ebay is you get pretty much what you paid for the club (if you bought it in ebay in the first place)

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Nice, the only problem is that I paid sooooo much money for this driver. I guess I'll just have to sell it on ebay. Good thing about ebay is you get pretty much what you paid for the club (if you bought it in ebay in the first place)
    Nothing says you have to sell it. Just closet it for now.

Personally, I'm more comfortable hitting the 3 iron than a 7 wood. Get rid of the 2. Putters, make a choice. Other than the wedges and sand wedge, what do you need the chipper for?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Why sell them? The 14-club limit is only for what is in your bag at any particular time - not what you own. IMHO there are only two reasons to sell a club:

1) It doesn't work well enough for you (i.e., something else works better)
    2) You hardly ever need to use it.

Interchange the clubs depending on weather and course conditions. For example, for most people the 3-iron and 7-wood go about the same distance - but that doesn't mean you need to get rid of one. Use the 3-iron for windy days and the 7-wood for courses where you have a lot of long approach shots to greens.

How often do you need to use the 2HL or the LW? The answer could determine whether you really need them. Perhaps a GW would be more useful. Personally I would never actually GET RID of the driver unless I have totally given up on ever hitting it - but I might relegate it to spot duty on wide-open courses.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Andru
    You are a gear junky. Get some help my friend

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    You have not mentioned how you hit any of these clubs. Are you totally disasterous with the driver? Is your ball striking consistent with the 3 wood? I ask because you will hear many people say that beginners and higher handicappers will benefit more from their 3 wood than their driver. BUT, with drivers being as big and forgiving as they are today (I don't know what yours is, but if you said you paid alot of $ for it I'm assuming it's a fairly new and large model). I honestly believe that even beginners can hit their drivers well. I have a good buddy who just started a few years ago. He had a big headed driver that he hit a big slice with (occasionally out of play). He hit his 3 wood straighter, but was inconsistent in striking it (i.e. he would whiff it, or top it, shank it, etc) because it had such a small face. Whereas with his driver, he would at least make good contact. Many people advised him to hit only his 3 wood, but from playing with him quite often, I observed that overall he was better off hitting his driver off the tee. Alls he needed was a bit of practice and a few good tips, and soon he had straightened out his driver quite nicely.

What degree is your Ping HL? If it's a 2HL, I would assume its around 18*? If so, you have to determine what you hit better, your 5w or the 2HL. If it's around 20*, use it to replace both your 3 iron and 5 wood which would give you an extra space for a wedge. You can't go wrong with an extra wedge. Get a 52* gap wedge to fill the spot between you PW (usually around 46-48*) and your SW (usually around 56* as a standard). My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Why sell them? The 14-club limit is only for what is in your bag at any particular time - not what you own. IMHO there are only two reasons to sell a club:

1) It doesn't work well enough for you (i.e., something else works better)
    2) You hardly ever need to use it.

Interchange the clubs depending on weather and course conditions. For example, for most people the 3-iron and 7-wood go about the same distance - but that doesn't mean you need to get rid of one. Use the 3-iron for windy days and the 7-wood for courses where you have a lot of long approach shots to greens.

How often do you need to use the 2HL or the LW? The answer could determine whether you really need them. Perhaps a GW would be more useful. Personally I would never actually GET RID of the driver unless I have totally given up on ever hitting it - but I might relegate it to spot duty on wide-open courses.
    I totally agree with you, i have 17 clubs that i interchange on a regular bases. I exchange hybrid, 5 wood depending on the weather conditions, 3 iron and gw depending if i will need the 3 iron to reach par5 greens, or long par 3's. I also use 3wood or 4wood depending if i think i will hit more off the tee(3wood) or from the fairway(4wood). It is true that you should only use what you hit well, no matter the conditions, but if you hit them all good, its nice to have the choices!!!

There is nothing wrong with being a club ho', i am a pround member

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    You are a gear junky. Get some help my friend
    True, though I'm mostly just a driver junkie. You could help out a friend and buy some!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

"Richard"
    sounds good, but I can keep a $500 club out of my bag, If I'm not using it I have to sell it. Its way to expensive not to be using all the time. THe rest of the clubs, I'll keep Just rotate them in and out.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    True, though I'm mostly just a driver junkie. You could help out a friend and buy some!
    I'm actually one below the limit I carry 13 clubs. I don't see a need for 14 yet.

"Richard"
    andru, I see that you are in kanata... do you know any courses that are within 20 min of kanata that are good value?

"Richard"
    Ok, what is a 52, 54, 56, 58... what are all those wedges? of those 4 wedges, I only need two so which ones do I get?

PS my pitch is 47 and my lob is a 60..

Andru
    andru, I see that you are in kanata... do you know any courses that are within 20 min of kanata that are good value?
    Yes Pakenham, Probably the best bang for your buck. With the new Highway it only takes about 15-20 min. Now. Depending on where you live in Kanata.

The rest are a bit pricey, Marshes, Eagle Creek. Candian is OK. I really don't like the final 8 holes. but the first 10 are interesting enough. They charge quite a bit more than Pakenham though. I think it's 45. Pakaneham is under 40.

It's on the courses directory page.

http://www.ottawagolf.com/pakenham/index.htm

Let me know if you want to meet up for a round. I really enjoy that place. Pm me.

Cheers

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    You didn't mention Greensmere, Loch March, Irish Hills, Glen Mar.... all good coures and much more reasonable.... Loch March is up to $60 this year, but probably all of them have spring specials.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Ok, what is a 52, 54, 56, 58... what are all those wedges? of those 4 wedges, I only need two so which ones do I get?

PS my pitch is 47 and my lob is a 60..
    I'm confused. You have a 60 LW and you have a SW which is 56, and your 47* PW, correct? So, of the 52, 54, 56, and 58 you only have one (the 56). You want to space your lofts equally. So if you want to throw another wedge into your bag, go with the 52 so your spacing will be 47, 52, 56, and 60. Done and done.

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    So that brings me down from 19 to 16. I still need to drop two clubs.

I was thinking of getting rid of the 5 wood and 7 wood. but everyone is telling me to get rid of the driver and the 7 or the driver and the 2HL (ping 2 high launch iron)

thanks
    If you hit long irons better than woods drop the 7 and 5 wood, if you hit woods better drop the 2 and 3 irons. if it is inbetween drop the 7 wood and 2 iron.

Or what I might do, seeing as some weeks I hit woods better and sometimes irons better. I would switch from week to week or depending on the course. If the rough is deep, and/or the fairways are narrow I would leave the woods home, if the fairways are wide and/or the rough is low and forgiving I would leave the irons home.

but that is just me..

For reference I have D 10.5*, +3w 13*, 4w 17*, 2i through 9i, PW, and SW and putter the 14 that I use consistanly,,

Plus several other clubs in the garage, two other drivers (which I will probably never use as my new KZG with Aldila shaft is much better) two hybrids, 14* and 16* two 5 woods (one steel and one graphite) and a steel shaft 3 wood along with an extra putter and a full set of cast cavity back irons 2i thru 9i Pw and SW. (again old clubs I will probably never use).

"Richard"
    so I guess other than my driver there is no point selling any of the clubs becuase i can just use them at other couses some time. I'll just sell the driver on ebay and try to get my $500 back and use that towards lessons and maybe some higher end courses

"Richard"
    ok this is what I'm keeping for sure...

3w
    pw
    sw
    lw
    putter

Now the question is.. should I keep the driver or the 5w or the gw

I've decided to only own 14 clubs because of the $$$ so.. whats more important? 5w or gw? Driver is pretty much useless. Should I keep a 13* wood instead of a 15* if I'm getting rid of the driver?

I would say if you are keeping the 2 iron the gw is much more important because the 5 wood should effectively go the same distance as the 2 iron. As for the loft of the 3wood, i would use the one that is most consistent for you. If they are both consistent that i would use the 13* for the added distance.

"Richard"
    awesome, thanks all. You have been a great help. I am going to go with the

3w - 15*
    2 HL
    pw
    gw
    sw
    lw
    putter

------------

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I would say if you are keeping the 2 iron the gw is much more important because the 5 wood should effectively go the same distance as the 2 iron. As for the loft of the 3wood, i would use the one that is most consistent for you. If they are both consistent that i would use the 13* for the added distance.

I concure,, although I find choking down halfway on my PW gives me about the same distance as a GW.

Also if you go with the +3w (13*) you will have a little gap between the 2i and the +3w that is why I have a 4w. I hit my 2i about 200, and my +3w about 240. I hit the 4w about 215,, I suppose I could choke down on the +3w for the same effect. But I find too many wedges confuse me anyway so I keep the 4w. I just use my SW for everything inside 110.

I do find that I rarely actually need the driver as 240 is well more than halfway on most par 4s and way more than 1/3 of the way on the par 5s.. but since I got my new driver I am actually more acurate with it than with my +3w and I hit it about 265.

Thread Information