+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road

Swing Caddie SC100 Launch Monitor Review!

I bought the SC100 for less than $200.

It directly reads Club Head and Ball Speed.
    It displays: Club Head Speed, Ball Speed, Smash Factor and Carry Distance.

Hitting real balls outside shows great results distance-wise.

SO I got to test it directly against the GC2 today at Golf Smith.
    This little device is amazing!!!
    Hitting Irons produced almost spot on results within a couple yards.
    Same thing with the driver.

Here's what you have to know!!! It displays Carry Distance. Not carry plus roll. So for Iron Shots it's pretty spot on.
    But hitting any low rolling shot or Draw that causes it to roll out will effect TOTAL distance.
    For instance if you hit a low driver you will have to add like 10% roll. So a 200yd carry will be 220yds approximately.
    It affected the 3 wood I was trying the most. I had 35 yards roll on the one 3wood hit. It was 210 carry and 245 total. So it has to be calculated.
    Obviously Conditions affect Roll.
    The Driver Carry Distance was soo close on most all shots.

Including it read every single shot I hit today! Didn't miss one.

Amazing device I think everyone should have in their bag, especially at this low price.
    Highly Highly Recommend it.

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfun View Post
    ...Here's what you have to know...
    What you need to know: if the spin is not measured and the launch angle is not measured there is no chance ever that carry is correct.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans@france View Post
    What you need to know: if the spin is not measured and the launch angle is not measured there is no chance ever that carry is correct.
    Well there is always a chance. The assumed spin and launch angle by the unit would have to be exactly what you hit.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Less than $200 is a good price. Where?

Putter clark55810 is on a distinguished road
    Just purchased one of these also...

While you don't get spin and launch angle, the accuracy of the unit compared to the cost is outstanding.

The are actually three modes.

Practice - you select the iron and you get the readings noted above.
    Target - you select a distance and try to hit it.
    Random - it picks a distance and you try to hit it.

The Target and Random are actually why I purchased the device.

Have a goal and trying to hit is on the range is way better for me then just hitting balls. You also need to think about how to adjust your swing to hit the distance.

I think this device will change the way I practice, especially my short game and I believe it will help me reduce my scores.

Clark

For most of my shots except low draws the carry was extremely close.
    Also I was de-lofting my iron shots and I didn't see much difference in read outs.
    Being able to hit shots on the +$7000 GC2 and watch my Sub $200 little SC100 read very very close numbers was pretty amazing!

Including it comes with a controller that you can switch clubs and modes without having to touch the unit itself! The device looks cool and it's easy to read.

This little unit will help out most golfers a lot! Coolest, easiest to use, most helpful device in this price range I've seen!

Northgolf- Ebay

Thanks for the review golfun. The sc100 is very similair to the Yupiteru. They are good value for the money. I must admit, I never use my unit at the range. Our range have well marked targets. Though no where near the GC2 in comparison, the value of it is great. Enjoy. Hopefully more technology will surface soon. I bet they are working on an sc200.

Definitely for the money it's amazing. Including stats are shown in MPH and Yards. The lowest priced unit that can do that and read both ball and club speed. It's def not a GC2 but for what it reads on more well struck shots it's data is very close. I want to try it at the range this weekend.
    It's still the price point for what you get that makes it soo good. Opens up more data to more golfers.

I must say that if Optishot or P3Proswing somehow integrated with one of these little radars they would be a lot more accurate and interesting. Including it would be a cheap upgrade. Just interesting is all, even being the fact that it would read ball speed.

Maybe so but there still would be no ball direction or launch angle.

Yeah but just the addition of ball speed would compare it to the ST-1 or Personal Pro for a lot cheaper.
    Optishot: $400+ SC100: $250= $650
    P3Proswing: $800+ SC100: $250= $1050
    Personal Pro: $1750
    Especially on the P3Proswing it could judge launch better.
    If the P3 detected a shot lower on it's club face(it can do this) and the ball speed was higher, it should be a lower shot, maybe a skull. Including higher on the club face and slower ball speed should be a higher popup.
    Just saying it could be an improvement for not much money more. And it would only have to adjust it's software not hardware.

Putter SAFFAinSWISS is on a distinguished road
    Hi Guys, I'm a first time poster, but found this site really helpful with my decision making process so far in building a small home golf practice room. My problem is that (probably like most other golfers) I don't get to play enough golf, and hardly have time to go out to range and practice as often as would like... thus my handicap is sliding in the wrong direction from a 9 to a 13...

This year I decided to make a change and converted my basement to a practice room, with artificial turf flooring net and Optishot to keep it fun practicing... and have been quite impressed by it so far, however for the accuracy of the results I would like to add something to it... hence this post... Until today before I read your reviews on the swing caddie SC 100 I was on my way to go buy the 3bays GSA swing analyser to add to the optishot to give more info, however now Im thinking perhaps the Swing Caddie is a better addition ?

I tried to find comparisons between the 2, however I can't seem to find any, and since the one is a swing analyser and the other a launch monitor... I guess its a bit of apples and pears... For my dilemma however it serves the same function as and addition to the Optishot and to my home practice zone.... Have any of you used both and can give me some direction in making the decision ?

Is it better to get the 3bays and double check the same results as optishot since it will be more accurate ?
    Or get the swing caddie and add some ball data as a launch monitor ?

Thanx and looking forward to your input !!

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Despite the effervescent comments in this thread about the SC100, its measurements are very limited and the real value low IMO (especially if one already has a simulator). These devices are much more useful in other sports like baseball, tennis or hockey where ball speed is the end goal and not otherwise easy to determine.

There is potential for the 3Bays type devices but maturity and accuracy currently a big concern. Bad data is worse than no data! In any case, there are a lot of these devices available so do your research if selecting one.

Rather than randomly collecting more data, suggest thinking hard about what you will do with the new data. If it doesn't add some real-life, material capability then the device isn't worth much.
    Last edited by FaultyClubs; 05-05-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Yes if you just read the first post you will see what the SC100 reads.
    If you don't have a big budget or space(like most) your options are limited. BUT there are still some great devices out there.
    If you hit a non-skullish big draw or fade I found the device works really well for carry. Otherwise you have to calculate in more roll.
    It's only going to give you Swing and Ball Speed and Smash Factor.
    My testing with the optishot was horrible and I'm not even sure how accurate the distance on the P3Proswing is so I would trust the SC100 over it considering it's actually measuring the ball speed. And what I saw testing with a GC2.

Some of the Clip-On analyzers might provide redundant data like club-face and path readings.

Like was said the choice is yours depending on your needs and if it will work for you.
    You can always try them out and return it.
    Hope you find what you need.

Putter SAFFAinSWISS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for your input Faultyclubs and golfun

I ended up getting the 3bays GSA pro, and as explained earlier I already have the optishot set up at home for about a month....
    Just to put some perspective on my final decision - the main purpose for me was to get time to hit some more balls late night when I get home from work, and the idea of having some feedback or some fun (optishot) helps a lot. Lets be clear - I do think that the best practice is outside on a course, and on a good range off the grass and not the hitting mats for all the obvious reasons of ball striking and divots etc...
    however since living in swiss I get to go play around once or twice a month which leads to a lot of frustration since in my mind I'm still going out to break 80, but with little or no practice its not gonna happen playing once a month compared to my old playing of 3-4 times a week....

That being said - I have a indoor golf sim membership about 20 min from my house with the GC2, so decided on buying the GSA since I will be able to use it on the outside on the range, on the GC2 and even on my optishot at home.
    The only true results that will matter will be whats really happening outside on the course/range, but since the home hitting centre is mainly just to groove my swing, it has been quite fun testing the GSA today on the optishot and the GC2, and being able to see when I do get lazy and drop my swing plane, as well as the club face data from the optishot helps to make me practice my normal swing without getting bored and making lazy mistakes. Since I have the space to hit real balls into a net - the feel of the ball striking actually tells me most of the data if it was good contact / pushed right or pulled left, but it is a lot more fun having some graphics playing a round and now some swing data than just hitting into a net at home...

Will prob know in a year or so whether the decision to rather spend the 8000 CHF on golf rounds and the occasional Pro lesson than a GC2... Hopefully the mere fact that I will be hitting balls an hour a day will stop the handicap slide, and help recover back to a single figure... even if the extra 500 bucks I spent is more "entertainment" than measured science... As long as it keeps me in front of the ball taking swings I hope it pays off !! )

Tried the unit on the range today.
    After hitting balls and watching the distances against my dad it was interesting.

We were hitting with a wind, directly at our backs.
    It was approximately 15% too short on every shot.
    For instance the 8I was clearly landing at 150yds. carry, and the unit said 125-130yds.

They were working on the tee's, so maybe they were moved?

Very odd tho because those were just range balls, and testing on the GC2 the readings were really close.

I went to a lasered marked range today and compared it against a College Golfer who swung and hit to his mark and number almost every time.
    For him it read 306 yard Drives and 205 yard 6 Irons, which he was amazed how well it was reading. He thought it worked great and wanted one.
    For me a 165yd 9-iron read 140 and was dropping down to 115 on some shots.
    Also carried a 3wood 250, unit read 195, even tho it flew the 240 green... Did it several times.

Very weird readings sometimes. Sometimes it was spot on, but really off on the 3wood.

So is the summary if you have a great swing it reads correctly? But if you swing differently it will make the unit go awry?

Sold it! lol

Just too random. Can't wait till this NEW launch monitor comes out that actually reads LA and Spin and all.... That will have to help.

Thread Information