CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rockbottom Golf

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road

Rockbottom Golf

Has anyone bought from Rockbottom Golf lately?

I'm interested in what your final shipping costs ended up looking like. I would normally ship to a NY UPS store and drive down to pick it up but I don't have the time right now. I don't want to see my $100 bargain double in cost by the time it arrives at my door ...

Thanks in advance!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Would be interested as well. Buy from them when in Florida and find their customer service first rate.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I shop from them a lot also... very good... I use them, TGW and Gmamasgolf.com for some sweat deals but gmamas only takes US credit cards

golfisforfun : When you shop from Rockbottom, do you ship to a Canadian address? If so, what sort of additional charges have you been seeing? Thanks!

Nope, I always ship to a US address.
    I think you are looking at broker fees of close to $30 minimum, + shipping costs + 13% taxes, so it definitely adds up.
    Especially when they often have Free Shipping in the US if you ask nicely!

Thanks. That's about what I expected. I guess I'll wait until my next trip down to Canton or Malone and go the UPS Store route.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
    golfisforfun : When you shop from Rockbottom, do you ship to a Canadian address? If so, what sort of additional charges have you been seeing? Thanks!
    If shipped to Canadian address, you have to pay 13% HST like you buy it here plus shipping (~30-40$ Candian). The free shipping for anything over 99$ is only for continental US so it doesn't apply for Canadian destination

If add all that costs in and the price is still cheaper than local stores then you got a deal.

They do have the 10% discount coupon which is applicable pretty much year round
    (coupon code: facebook) or some times they have 15% coupon during this time of the year

Good luck

Gobble_It : I get the taxes and shipping charges. I also get the lack of duty as the club is assembled in the US. What I'm most concerned about is the dreaded brokerage fees. Did you have brokerage fees added on top of the taxes and shipping charges?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Odgensburg (spelling?) isn't that far. Depending on the fees, it could be easier (read cheaper) to go and get at the UPS store.

Well for the 2 hour return trip and the $5 holding fee, the UPS store is awesome!!!
    I just ordered the Jetspeed driver and 3 wood, Adidas shoes, 4 Ashworth shirts and 3 adidas shorts for $460 US and I will pick them up and pay the fees at UPS...
    The same stuff at GT would be close to $900

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    The funny thing about the UPS store in Ogdensburg is that when they ask for your phone number, they've already keyed in the 613 area code. I heard that 90-95% of their business is from people in Ottawa!

Lob Wedge PingMCS is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Odgensburg (spelling?) isn't that far. Depending on the fees, it could be easier (read cheaper) to go and get at the UPS store.
    Can't beat ordering from RockBottom, Galaxy, InTheHolegolf, etc and picking up in Ogdensburg!
    Lately though paying 20% on the dollar and 13%HST sucks...BUT...it's STILL cheaper!

We drive down to Myrtle several times/year and get all of our stuff drop shipped to a UPS store in Pennsylvania and pick it up on the way thru.
    Gotta call first to make sure they are willing to hold your order for a fee.

Free shipping + no state sales tax in PA and no duty/HST upon return after being away for the week.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    You can also use this service in Ogdensburg.....

http://myusaddress.ca/

Package/Freight Forwarding is a secondary industry in Ogdensburg and probably a lot of other border towns on the other side of a bridge. For example, I have been getting my tires at Bill's Automotive in Og (they charge list price + installation fee only and they're honest with repairs too) and when I mentioned the UPS store, they gave me a card showing how they too will hold packages at $4/per (per week usually).
    Last edited by SnazzyD; 08-04-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Putter justinjanx is on a distinguished road
    Just got an order in a couple weeks ago, couple gloves, couple dozen balls, two pairs of shoes and a putter and a wedge. While still cheaper than buying here, it added up after tax and brokerage. I couldn't bother the trip down to the states but if you have one planned or are planning on it, wait until you go. Maybe I'll tack an order on. Ha!

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
    Has anyone bought from Rockbottom Golf lately?

I'm interested in what your final shipping costs ended up looking like. I would normally ship to a NY UPS store and drive down to pick it up but I don't have the time right now. I don't want to see my $100 bargain double in cost by the time it arrives at my door ...

Thanks in advance!
    As I recall Rockbottom uses UPS which charges excessive fees for customs clearance. They divide their fees into tow types; one for the preparation of entry document based on value of goods and the other for paying the customs fees (usually just HST) also based on the value. Just google UPS fees and you can see the amounts.

Between the exchange rate and the fees it just is not worth it unless you pick the goods up. The funny part is on the entry preparation fee, it is the same amount of work to prepare the entry for $30 worth of product and $1000 worth of product but they charge based on value because they can.

The exception is that if you can find a company that will ship by USPS but I don't think Rock does.

Good luck

Putter chrisyork is on a distinguished road
    thanks for the suggested sites. Will be heading to CT in may for week. Definately going to order some clubs and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisyork View Post
    thanks for the suggested sites. Will be heading to CT in may for week. Definately going to order some clubs and tires.
    Keep in mind that each person is allowed to bring back $800.00 worth of goods so if you order something and pick it up while down there you wont have to pay HST when coming back if you are within you $800 limit. Of course it may be tough to convince wife that she cant buy clothes because she has to claim tires on her exemption while you claim golf clubs

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zee51 View Post
    As I recall Rockbottom uses UPS which charges excessive fees for customs clearance. They divide their fees into tow types; one for the preparation of entry document based on value of goods and the other for paying the customs fees (usually just HST) also based on the value. Just google UPS fees and you can see the amounts.

Between the exchange rate and the fees it just is not worth it unless you pick the goods up. The funny part is on the entry preparation fee, it is the same amount of work to prepare the entry for $30 worth of product and $1000 worth of product but they charge based on value because they can.

The exception is that if you can find a company that will ship by USPS but I don't think Rock does.

Good luck
    The excessive brokerage and clearance charges are on UPS Ground shipments, and I believe Rockbottom uses UPS Express service which has these fees included in the price. So you end up paying about the same amount, but you get your shipment in days instead of weeks.

Sand Wedge strongjag is on a distinguished road
    For a reference point I bought a 5 wood and some shoes, cost me 150CAD after all the costs plus another 35 at the door.

Still a good deal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The excessive brokerage and clearance charges are on UPS Ground shipments, and I believe Rockbottom uses UPS Express service which has these fees included in the price. So you end up paying about the same amount, but you get your shipment in days instead of weeks.
    Bought $300 of stuff last year from Rock and brokerage and tax was more than $100. UPS is a rip off period. Nuff said. As I said earlier, look at the fees posted on UPS site and is a complete rip off.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zee51 View Post
    Bought $300 of stuff last year from Rock and brokerage and tax was more than $100. UPS is a rip off period. Nuff said. As I said earlier, look at the fees posted on UPS site and is a complete rip off.
    If the cost was $300 US, then about $45 to $50 of the additional $100 is HST (depending on the exchange rate) - which you will have to pay regardless of who is used to ship it. That means they charged you about $50 to $55 for Express 2-5 day shipping, which is the only option available from Rockbottom Golf. That is in line with the shipping charges posted on their site, and is about the same as FedEx or USPS for the same delivery standard.

Yes, if you want cheaper delivery costs you could ask for USPS parcel service (Rockbottom won't do it, but others will). You cannot (legally) avoid paying the taxes regardless of which shipper you use, but shipping charges from USPS parcel service will probably cost you half as much as Express service from a courier company. But you will have wait about 3 to 4 weeks to get your package. In a nutshell those are your choices.

Cheap AND fast delivery from the US to Canada does not exist. Believe me, I've tried. You should never choose UPS Ground service from the US to Canada under any circumstances - then you get extremely expensive brokerage fees added to your bill AND slow delivery. But UPS Express service is comparable to other carriers, if you want to pay for quick delivery.

Sometimes a road trip to Ogdensburg is your best option.

Just got back from Ogdensburg, picking up ~$130 USD in golf items. Declared at the border coming back, showing them my invoice and the guy just said "Thanks. Have a good day" and off I went.

Was that just my lucky day or is golf gear usually exempt from duty because of where it's usually made?

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Just got back from Ogdensburg, picking up ~$130 USD in golf items. Declared at the border coming back, showing them my invoice and the guy just said "Thanks. Have a good day" and off I went.

Was that just my lucky day or is golf gear usually exempt from duty because of where it's usually made?
    Probably not worth their time for 15$ tax..they can spend the time catching the big fish.

Putter chrisyork is on a distinguished road
    I havent bought any golf gear from the us but sometimes you do get lucky and they just say have agreat day. You buy from rockbottom? The real question is what you got lol

Thread Information