+ Reply to Thread
    areafour

New to the game - need full set of clubs advice

I'm planning to buy my husband golf clubs for his birthday. Neither of us golf, we have been out once with friends and enjoyed it. I have no idea where to start. I'd like to get him a decent set of clubs, but not looking to spend much on something we know nothing about. I would love to get recommendations on full sets to buy, or even full sets to stay away from.

Thanks!

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by areafour View Post
    I'm planning to buy my husband golf clubs for his birthday. Neither of us golf, we have been out once with friends and enjoyed it. I have no idea where to start. I'd like to get him a decent set of clubs, but not looking to spend much on something we know nothing about. I would love to get recommendations on full sets to buy, or even full sets to stay away from.

Thanks!
    In general, you can't go wrong with the big 4 - TaylorMade, Callaway, Titlelist or Nike. Taylormade has shorter product cycles so their clubs depreciate a bit more but they are all good clubs. Just don't buy anything with Dunlop, John Daly,Tour Select or any clubs at Targets/Walmart/Canadian Tires/Costco..yes they do sell golf clubs there ..

A new full set (Driver, Woods, Irons, Wedges) could run anywhere between 1500-2000 dollars or more. Then there is the Putter, very personal choice - top of the line is the "Scotty Cameron" which can go between 200-400$ per putter. However other brand putters are just as good.

Most people would prefer a full set from the same brand (aesthetic) but many have mixed brand of clubs in their bag (again personal preference).

Depending on his age, athleticism, the flex of the driver shaft (graphite) is very important. The flex ranges from Senior/Regular/Stiff/X-stiff...I heard somewhere around 90% of players are playing with Regular flex (or should be)..
    Stiff is common with younger folks ...although you can find more Stiff clubs being sold on here . X-stiff is just a pipe dream for most amateur players !

I would get the clubs between 2-3 years old for a new starter. That way if he/she doesn't want to continue, you can still get some resell value. You can buy a very good iron set on this forum here for less than 200$..and a driver for 100-150$, a decent putter for 50-100$

Good luck !

areafour
    Thanks for all that! I was planning on getting them at Golf Town, but I didn't want to go in having no idea what I should be looking for. I don't want to be 'sold' on clubs that cost more than he'll need to get started. I will look into second hand as well. I guess the Lynx 2013 Predator Full Set they have on sale for $250 isn't going to cut it

To add info - We are very bad golfers. He is very strong, the type who breaks things without trying.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    IMO , buy a cheap set , then go get some lessons , then get a lot of practice in at the golf range .
    When you get to be better at golf , then it's time to invest in some decent equipment , but for now , go cheap and try to have some fun
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

areafour
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    IMO , buy a cheap set , then go get some lessons , then get a lot of practice in at the golf range .
    When you get to be better at golf , then it's time to invest in some decent equipment , but for now , go cheap and try to have some fun
    My main concern is buying a set that will make golfing even more difficult (does that even make sense) I'm happy to go cheap! I appreciate all the help, it's a daunting sport to go into when you know nothing.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by areafour View Post
    My main concern is buying a set that will make golfing even more difficult (does that even make sense) I'm happy to go cheap! I appreciate all the help, it's a daunting sport to go into when you know nothing.
    As I said ,IMO , your money is better invested in lessons , maybe get him a nice package lessons from Kevin Haimes golf range or something similar .
    You can pick up a decent golf set here or kijiji etc , but I wouldn't invest too much money in equipment at this point , after all , you need gloves , shoes , clothes , balls , tees , range sessions , green fees etc , and they cost quite a bit in themselves.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I would look online or with a pro shop for a good set of second hand clubs. I bought my wife about $1,700 worth of equipment including bag for about $450 a couple of years ago. My thoughts are to go for a lesson and use what the pro has for demos and then take his advice on what type of clubs/ shafts he/she recommends. Then start to look for used clubs (this site has some that fit what the pro suggests). I would not recommend spending a lot of money if you don't know if you will stick with the game.

Also Ping is another brand for you can consider and so is Adams. I helped a lady friend find a Adams set of clubs including bag for $500 or so last year that were not used from a pro who had them left over from the prior year. You never know what you will find until you start looking.

Hope this helps!

areafour
    Thanks for all the advice. So in the end, my Dad is going to put together a set from clubs that he's upgraded from and he's even got a bag. So I bought a new putter (ping karsten 1959) and I'm going to take forum advice and get him lessons. Appreciate all the help!

Thread Information