CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

The Future of Golf ?

Interesting article in today's New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/sp...e.html?hp&_r=0

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Great article, I agree that some changes are needed to get more people playing again. When I play with my wife, I tell her to tee up every shot as it makes the game more enjoyable for her and helps speed up the round. I am sure she would not mind a 15 inch hole as well.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Maybe people are leaving because they can't afford the game anymore. A round of golf in Ottawa is $50+ after tax and in many cases requires a $16 cart for casual golfers. Add the cost of clubs balls gloves and of course some snacks a drink and maybe even a beer or two and its priced itself out of many peoples budgets.

My wife loves to play the game but unfortunately doesn't play many times a season(I think twice last year) because she simply doesn't want to spend $120+ per pay to play once a week.

Golf has had the same size holes all along and most rules have always been there. The only thing that has changed over time is the cost of golf.... Directly relating to of course to the increased costs of maintaining the courses.

Unfortunately many courses would rather they sat empty than give discounts during the slower times.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    I joined a twosome at a course in Florida this year, one guy was a scratch in his forties, the other a duffer in his 70's. These guys told me they play together every week.I was somewhere in between their skill levels and it was one of the most fun games I have ever played. The senior gentleman always moved his ball to a more favourable lie and made some awesome shots, more important, he told some great stories about his life as a sailor travelling around the world. The stories were dirty and politically incorrect. As I left the course I remember thinking it was one of the best games I had ever played. I hope we never lose sight of the terrific times we have even when our drivers slice and our putters yip.

Lob Wedge PingMCS is on a distinguished road
    I'm really liking the look of "relaxed rules of golf" (Google it)

Cheap used or "Canadian Tire clubs" for beginners.

Bring your own snacks.

Buy a discount tee times plan.
    We are with an Ottawa company that owns over EIGHT HUNDRED memberships @ Ottawa area courses.
    We pay to be members of their "plan", they then re-sell discounted tee times to us.
    Me 'n hunny saved over $1200 on green fees last year.
    To play the Marshes we pay $102 all in, after tax, on weekends; you and your partner will pay $272!

Thread Information