100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Played Gatineau for the first time--interesting layout--top dressing front nine--rough a little long--all in all a decent course--hope the owners will finish what they have started eventually--no complaints.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Played Hammond today - the course is in great shape ! The mosquitoes were thick but a nice breeze and bug spray made it manageable.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Gatineau greens top dressed,long and shaggy !!! They where starting to cut them this morning.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Canadian conditions are great. beautifull greens and fairways.

Bouche
    pine view is looking real good. Course is dry and has turned completely green in the last week. Tip top shape. Greens are rolling better. This week the maintenance staff made greens 5 and 7 larger. If you know the course 7 is a 190 yard par 3 with a small green. By far the hardest green to hit.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    pine view is looking real good. Course is dry and has turned completely green in the last week. Tip top shape. Greens are rolling better. This week the maintenance staff made greens 5 and 7 larger. If you know the course 7 is a 190 yard par 3 with a small green. By far the hardest green to hit.
    Two Thumbs for that!! (couldn't find the little gizmos... Emoticons?)
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Marshes is really coming along , most of the greens are tip top however still a bit slow. Rough is thick and most fairways lush. Nice recovery from last season.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    VIEUX MOULINS I was thinking we were almost done with this thread but not quite....

We were EXTREMELY Disappointed in the course; greens without much grass (only 7 & 8 ok), fairways with lots of dandelions, bunkers groomed a week ago, NO beverage cart on a Saturday afternoon. On top of that, the horn called us of the course for lightning in the area (when we were just finishing our 1st-9). Probably a blessing
    We won't be rushing back

Kingsway fairways are very poor,especially front 9. Greens are not good but puttable.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    Played Nation on Friday, course is in very good shape, greens rolling nice, Played Metcalfe on Sunday it is very good greens perfect and very good all around.

Gap Wedge jleger is on a distinguished road jleger's Avatar
    Played Pineview prior to the introduction of summer rates. At $25 I was over the moon happy to have access to this course (as I live just off Blair and Ogilvie). The conditions were ok (we had a huge rainfall the night before) so as we expected, some holes were simply a mess. Also very disappointing to not be told in the clubhouse they had aerated the front 9 greens. Hearing that they are now in full summer rates I will not be returning on weekends or anytime to play at fullprice. For $40/round I will gladly pay the gas costs to go to elsewhere. I really had hoped that the "under new management" would mean lower rates to re-engage the locals to come out and play. Goodluck Pineview but you have a lot of work ahead of yourselves.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Play Glen Mar for the first time this past weekend. Greens haven't filled out yet and not running very smooth. Few dead spots on the fairway but overall the condition is decent. For 25$ (tax included) with cart after 2pm, no complain.

Good test of golf..lot of doglegs and sloping greens...except the goofy horseshoe green at the 18th..There is no way that you can hit that green with the hole on the side. Get into the bunker and you only have 2 feet of green to work with..

Same hopes

Quote Originally Posted by jleger View Post
    Played Pineview prior to the introduction of summer rates. At $25 I was over the moon happy to have access to this course (as I live just off Blair and Ogilvie). The conditions were ok (we had a huge rainfall the night before) so as we expected, some holes were simply a mess. Also very disappointing to not be told in the clubhouse they had aerated the front 9 greens. Hearing that they are now in full summer rates I will not be returning on weekends or anytime to play at fullprice. For $40/round I will gladly pay the gas costs to go to elsewhere. I really had hoped that the "under new management" would mean lower rates to re-engage the locals to come out and play. Goodluck Pineview but you have a lot of work ahead of yourselves.

I had the same high hopes, I am only 5 minutes from there I hope they can turn it around, I just can't see been worth $40, I have Meadows not so far Anderson, Metcalfe, Champion's Nest, even White Sands is a better deal. I really hope because is not a bad track.

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar
    Played Falcon Ridge Sun. Was a little disappointed considering the good reports from many other courses. Greens are not very far along, puttable but need more time. Rough (first cut) is extremely thick, hopefully it can be trimmed when there is some not so wet conditions. Fairways are however in good shape. On a positive note, gotta love the club house.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzman View Post
    I had the same high hopes, I am only 5 minutes from there I hope they can turn it around, I just can't see been worth $40, I have Meadows not so far Anderson, Metcalfe, Champion's Nest, even White Sands is a better deal. I really hope because is not a bad track.
    I was also going to give Pine View a try as I am only 5 minutes away--if you can not see any major-minor improvements by now you can be sure it will be the same as Champlain and Ville Moullin---I really can't see anyone putting money into something they do not own. I have no idea why the NCC does not just take them over completely and make decent courses out of them. Even 2 years ago when the new management took over Bearbrook every one was raving about the improvements they could see after 3 weeks. It's a shame.

We drove to Mountain Creek today--not too bad there are still winter kill spots on the greens and ice kill in the low spots on the fairways but the grass is growing---lots of mowing to be done but a lot of the non grass areas are starting to fill in---have not been there in two years but overall it was OK---some of the fairways are coming in nicely and there was a full house this morning.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    It is still May. I'm not sure what "major" improvements you had hoped to see by now but these things take time.

We have brought in over 100 tons of high quality sand and are redoing ALL of the bunkers on the course. This is a major job and will take a couple of months. Each bunker is being reshaped and edged. We are them refilling them with the new sand. The results are fantastic. I'd put the new bunkers and sand up against just about any course in the region. Stop by the office sometime and I will take you out to see the "before" and "after" bunkers. Bring your SW and some balls. I think you will find the new bunkers a major improvement.

We have also begun the environmental assessment needed to dig some ponds. This will take time. We are dealing with multiple levels of government. Hopefully we can begin the work this year and have the ponds ready for next spring.

A driving range is also in the long term plans. In the meantime we have invested in some warm up cages. That is the most obvious improvement when you arrive to play. Take a few warm up swings (for free).

Hopefully Ottawa golfers appreciate what we are trying to do. It won't happen overnight but we are committed to our long term plans for Pine View.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Our highest rate is $38. That leaves us $10 cheaper than Meadows and about $15 less than Anderson.

We also have promotions just about everyday of the week including $20 all day on Mondays.

Come play Wednesday afternoon in our Men's Night. Just $22 for 18 holes. We have a great group of guys playing in it and more are joining each week.

We have live music this Thursday night with golf for as little as $15.

In fact there is not a single day of the week where you can not play for less than $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzman View Post
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Big Mac, jleger, and Guzman: Come out this Wednesday for Men's Night. I'll play with the 3 of you. It is $22 for 18 holes and I'll comp you the power carts. PM me if you can play. It would be great to meet some of the regulars on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine View View Post
    Our highest rate is $38. That leaves us $10 cheaper than Meadows and about $15 less than Anderson.

We also have promotions just about everyday of the week including $20 all day on Mondays.

Come play Wednesday afternoon in our Men's Night. Just $22 for 18 holes. We have a great group of guys playing in it and more are joining each week.

We have live music this Thursday night with golf for as little as $15.

In fact there is not a single day of the week where you can not play for less than $20.
    Good to see another course taking care of business. Kudos to the new owners and wishing them all the best in the future.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Big Mac, jleger, and Guzman: Come out this Wednesday for Men's Night. I'll play with the 3 of you. It is $22 for 18 holes and I'll comp you the power carts. PM me if you can play. It would be great to meet some of the regulars on here.

Now this is what I call customer service!! Job well done.

Thanks for the offer Pine View---unfortunately I am busy tomorrow night BUT I will definitely get over and play a round. I know things do not happen overnight and I have to give credit to anyone taking on this job---I know the amount of work required to bring this course up to standards.

If anyone remembers the amount of bunker sand that was brought in to build White Sands---that was close to 2000 tons--your 100 tons is the equivalent of 4 tandem loads that may redo 4 or 5 bunkers depending on their size. No amount of sand in a bunker that does not have drainage will help. You also need a fair bit of water to maintain a course---not sure if that problem was ever solved and you also need a decent amount of topsoil and sand mix on 100 acres of fairways for proper drainage and growth---it takes a lot of $$$$$$

Just think of this--at 40.00 per round--160.00 per 4some----10 minute tee times--7:00am to 4:00 pm--7 days a week (if no rain) is 58,000.00 income per week. Lets say the course ran full tilt all of May to the end of September---that translates to an income of approximately 1.2 Million dollars ----not a lot of money today. You have men --machinery--taxes---insurance--fuel and so on. A ten man maintenance crew will take a minimum of 150.000.00 to do it right. It has been said "there is not a lot of money to be made in a golf course". I believe it.

I do not want to give the impression that I or everyone is negative here---I guess a lot of folks are just so tired of hearing we will do this and this and this and really nothing ever happened. The course has potential ---just the same as Bear Brook or the old Glen Lea (Champlain now) but there has to be money and maintenance put into them and there must be a person that has a background in horticulture management. Today it's lot more than raking sand traps and cutting grass. There are just too many golf courses in our area to choose from---which is great from a golfers perspective but maybe not so great from an owners point of view.

Personally I think we are pretty fortunate to have a forum like this so that things can be discussed and NOT BERATED. If there is a legitimate problem lets talk about it. I don't know of many forums that pop up in a search on the WWW other than this one. I think Dan sometimes has to walk a fine line and he has to be commended.

Anyway---I should be golfing and not sitting in front of this screen---I could be out cutting my grass

Gap Wedge Steerpike is on a distinguished road
    I played Pine View early this morning and got good value for the $40.68 (inclusive of tax) I paid. The greens were in good shape - no complaints. There were some spots on some fairways where there appears to have been some winter ice damage, but generally conditions were reasonably good. Maintenance crews were very much in evidence throughout the course. I think the owners are paying attention. I was in the greenside bunker on the par 3 #14 and I have to say the new sand there was very good. I was also in the FW bunker on #6: hard pan - not so good, but the new sand should fix that. I think by mid June the course should be in fine shape for what it is: a fun course for the recreational golfer.
    Last edited by Steerpike; 05-29-2014 at 02:45 AM.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Just want to ad my opinion. I have been golfing in the Ottawa area for over 30 years and have played almost every course in the region. I am not a big Pineview fan but I play it a few times a year with my dad( usually the Executive course) Looking at prices for green fees this year I find them to be good. 24$ after 2 and 20$ after 4 is not expensive for the big course. The Executive is even cheaper. People complaining about conditions well to me it will take time but I do not expect it to ever be as nice as Eagle Creek or Marshes but as a value course with the location hopefully one day conditions closer to Falcon Ridge would be nice.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Anyone play Chateau Cartier yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Anyone play Chateau Cartier yet?
    Terry, C.C. is in great shape,nice greens,good fairways except the 3 holes near the river last week where flooded.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Bearbrook conditions...Played at 10 in the morning on Tuesday, only 8 cars in the parking lot. Round took 3 hours hitting 2 balls. Greens are better than spring of last year when some of them had virtually no grass but they are slow and bumpy.The fairway grass was long with dandelions and mushrooms galore(picked about a pound, hope they are mushrooms ). There were 2 mowers on the course so there should be some improvement by now. I'll revisit this course in a couple of weeks but looks like the owners are trying and it is an easy course to walk for old legs.

I will definitely will try Pineview this year, I am not judging and I am very sincere when I say that I have high hopes that there is some improvements, even when it has been at his worst, I still have played there, I just made a comment on somebody else experience and share my sentiments that I wish you could really turn it around.
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Love to hear of all the improvements and also to see you taking an interest in what people are saying. Great job!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    I have never hit the green yet...LOL

Played Hammond this afternoon-----they opened late this year and it has paid off great. A couple of the greens need a little work--best fairways in years ---- all in all worth every cent---10 minute t-times. All kinds of new faces there---new management ?????

Take your bug spray and blame mother nature---not the course.

Thread Information