100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    andrew_s_elliot

Question Ball position, ball flight and progressive offset irons

Just looking for a little insight into ball position, ball flight and how it relates to the progressive offset in irons.

(what's progressive offset? http://www.leaderboard.com/glossary_progressiveoffset)

I know that this is a pretty technical question, so I'll give a little information: I'm a 0.5 index, hitting '99 DCI 981 Irons (cast, progressively offset), usually a 3-piece ball, straight ball flight with mid trajectory.

I have no problems working the ball with my mid and low irons, but can't seem to fade the ball with my longer irons. I expect that this is due to the large offset in the longer irons. Now, I've added lead weight to the toe of my long irons, but I can only hit a push, instead of the desired fade (draws are still no problem with the weighting).

Is there anything that I can do to assist a fade in my long irons, without losing consistency, and the ability to draw the ball? i.e. moving weight around, changing shafts...?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    While I understand the desire to work the ball, be careful you don't mess up your straight ball flight.

Weight on irons will do very little to affect ball flight. To hit a fade you need to consciously have the face square / open at impact and / or have the club moving from outside to inside, depending on how much you want the ball to move.

The offset really is just a way to help make sure your hands are ahead of the ball at impact, which is usually a problem for less skilled golfers, which at 0.5 you're not.

andrew_s_elliot
    Agreed; like I mentioned before, I'm fairly proficient at working the ball with short/mid irons (aim where I want the ball to start, aim the clubhead at the target, then slightly outside in/inside out swing for desired fade/draw).

I'm using the same technique when attempting to fade long irons, but don't get the same result. I was just wondering if there was some alteration I could make to the club, other than adding weight to the toe, to help out with the fade.

"Weight on irons will do very little to affect ball flight."

Totally disagree; I've had great success when using lead weighting to control the trajectory of my shots. I can now alter my clubs before a round to reflect the playing conditions. i.e. If I know it's going to be windy, I'll put some weight high behind the club face....works wonders....

I guess it just depends on how much weight you're using.

Thread Information