CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Shaft Advice - Looking for a stiffer Regular Flex ... if that makes sense

So I am looking for advice...

I am right on the edge of R and S flex shafts for my driver.
    Each guy at Golf Town gives me a different suggestion, so I am wondering if anybody can suggest a good shaft that in a regular flex would play a little stiffer.

Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing, so please feel free to correct me.

Thanks

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    they are all different so its hard to say but if you find something you like in R and it's not quite as stiff you can tip it if you like
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Is there one brand that plays stiffer than another?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    sure, but its still all over the map even in a given shaft. There are no real standards as to what R and S are and even in a particular brand consistency is not always that great.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Jeffc is right.

Here is a suggestion though. You could get a regular and tip it more than suggested to be ''in between''
    AXE XCaliber Tour Graphite Wood Shafts

Features:
    • The NEW T6 Wood is designed with a slightly softer lower stiffness profile than the T6+ but stiffer than the standard Xcaliber 6. Designed for players with high swing speeds and medium to quick tempos looking for slightly higher ball flight and spin than the T6+.
    • The Tour T6+ and the NEW T7.5 Woods have the stiffest lower tip sections (16” to tip) than any shafts in the industry. Designed to produce penetrating ball flight with low spin for players with high swing speeds and quick tempos.
    Trimming Instructions
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    The only thing I can think of is to give the Ping G20 reg flex shat a try ( the stock shaft from Ping) it is rated a reg flex, but is very close to a stiff shaft in my view. If you can get it new for 200 that is a great price, but I'm sure you could find a used one for a 100.

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar
    I was on that same edge a year ago. I was pushing all my shots off the T box to the right(Iam right handed). I ALWAYS usd a S flex driver. A young lad at Golftown suggested a R flex Callaway driver and so far so good. As stated earlier in a post the flex even though they say R and S are all over the map. It might be an idea to find a fitter that can fit a shaft perfectly to your swing. To me the right shaft is way more important than the brand of head
    Mark K

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Golfisforfun, what did you end up going with?

Nothing yet...
    Callaway is sending me an R flex in the Tour Blue X2hot shaft. It normally plays at 46" and I want it at 45" max.
    I am thinking of having 1/2" taken off both ends if that's possible...

Or I just have an inch taken off the butt end...
    Might look for a deal on shafts at golfworks to experiment ...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'd echo Andre and try an Xcaliber Tour. There is a lot of bang for the buck in those shafts, and I find they play a bit stiffer than stock shaft ratings. I have one in my 3w and it's great.

OK, but when reading the descriptions above, they say "high swing speeds and quick tempos" and thats not me... 95-97mph and a smooth tempo... So I am not sure if this would work for me...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Your swing speed is definitely on the higher end for reg flex. I'd call Golfworks and see if they had any Xcalibers in demo clubs you could try in their hitting bay.

Thanks... I will try the Callaway shaft to start and see how it goes with the R flex, shortened to 45"...
    Because I play a bit of a fade, I always have a slightly higher launch and spin, that is just natural based on my swing, but I don't want something that purposely launches higher...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Get fitted is the best solution, shafts are expensive and at least with a fitting you can see the numbers and get a shaft profile to fit your swing and get the best possible results. It has saved me mucho moula as I only get shafts with profiles that fit my swing and stick with them.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Get fitted is the best solution, shafts are expensive and at least with a fitting you can see the numbers and get a shaft profile to fit your swing and get the best possible results. It has saved me mucho moula as I only get shafts with profiles that fit my swing and stick with them.

Wow !

What a concept !!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yeah I know, there is this great certified club maker/fitter who goes on this site with great advice, you should check him out, just look above!!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

How many shafts on the market fit your profile? IMHO this task is virtually impossible. A club fitter and even a store such as GW would have to have all shaft profiles from all shaft suppliers measured the same way with the same measuring tool. I know Wishon has a shaft database but they all can't be on there.
    Mahatma Gandhi

The shafts I saw were on a program at Artisan golf, I picked the ones I hit best and did not make a list. I have a couple I use with an interchangeable head
    Lefty Lucas

The shafts I saw were on a program at Artisan golf, I picked the ones I hit best and did not make a list. I have a couple I use with an interchangeable head
    Exactly. Don can't keep a gazillion brands or he'd go broke. He just sticks with a few and for his survival he has exclusivity on certain clubheads. Now there must be some other shafts out there that fit you but finding out would mean that they would all have to be profiled from tip to butt and fit within your range.
    Mahatma Gandhi

No one is going to profile my butt to fit anything!!!
    Lefty Lucas

No one is going to profile my butt to fit anything!!!
    perhaps your doctor.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golfers in general, put WAY to much emphasis on the shaft. The shaft is one part of the overall finished product. The performance of all the components combined is what matters most. The shaft has two basic functions. It controls the overall weight of the finished club and, pay attention to this one, transfers the energy that was produced by YOUR swing.

These guys who go on and on about the flavor of the month shafts are offering nothing more than what THEY are experiencing with said shaft. To think that said shaft will perform for you in the same manner or feel similar is not logical. The human factor, each person's individual swing trumps that every time.
    of all the components
    Wishon's Shaft Profiling software is a valuable tool. Yes, it has thousands of shafts listed with an annual update on inventory and yes, each shaft is profiled identically. The beauty of it is when you have a established a reasonable and I mean reasonable profile based on the golfers swing characteristics, you can use the software to sort out the plethora of shafts available by categorizing them by weight, bend profile, by cost, ...

You guys would be quite surprised how many shafts in a certain bend profile category are extremely similar ! This where the clubamaker shows his stuff with his capabilities to tweak shafts.

My present Wishon 919, witch has been in the bag, starting it's 3rd season, is a Matrix Studio 74 "R" flex, spined, tipped 1'', playing 44.5'' long, D4. Not considered an expensive shaft by today's standards but a decent product. This thing is golden ! I have another identical 919 head witch I use to try out other shafts, always looking for that magic wand. I found it. It's my original driver !

For the hell of it, ( it was a very long winter ! ) I took two Studio 74 "R"s and played with the profile a little, one softer, the other firmer, just enough to make a noticeable difference form the original on either side. The verdict is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it ! "

The problem is the human factor at the amateur level. A different day means a different swing so finding the holly grail is wishful thinking at best.

Stop relying on your equipment to fix your game. If your clubs are within a reasonable fitting tolerance for you then things should be fine so go have some fun and work on your game for the time being.

I am wondering is how many amateur golfers actually have a consistent enough swing to get any meaningful numbers from a launch monitor?
    I am a 4 capper and a good driver of the ball, and my numbers are not all that consistent.
    So is all this club fitting really accomplish anything for high cap golfers?

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Yes it does. I am an 18 handicap and finding the right shafts has made a big difference in my game. Now if I could putt better I would be a 12 handicap. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I am wondering is how many amateur golfers actually have a consistent enough swing to get any meaningful numbers from a launch monitor?
    I am a 4 capper and a good driver of the ball, and my numbers are not all that consistent.
    So is all this club fitting really accomplish anything for high cap golfers?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Xcaliber shafts are amazing, you just need to find the right one for your swing.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Good point. Numbers where the ball makes contact with the center of the face should only be considered. If that does not occur, start by shortening the shaft. If all over the face still persists, go get some lessons !

Bill Wood
    Another Xcaliber here. You may want to try the Tour regular. I have a couple of pulls in my shop. You could even take that regular and stiffen up by taking a 1/2 inch off the tip. Very tough to compare all the possibilities of all brands as mentioned.

Where is your shop?
    If I go buy the adapter, can you put one together for me?
    Where are you located?

Bill Wood
    A long way from you unfortunately. Melfort, Sk. chieflongtree is probably your best bet. Conversely I can send you the shaft. No charge. I have about 3 of them. Just pay for postage.

Thread Information