CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

declaring a practice round HC question

I'd posted this in the spring opening thread where a discussion broke out regarding the merit of entering rounds into the HC system played in very poor conditions, or specifically, in poor conditions early in the season...

"My cap is at an all time high since I started recording it. Ironically I've played some of the best golf the last two years, especially tee to green. Problem is I've played far too many rounds in the cold sprng and fall and on punched greens. Both the last two summers I've managed to not play much through the mid summer months, but got more than my share of 12 degrees and drisiling rain rounds in.

It's not so much the humility of seeing my cap rise, but part of the point of a cap is to play competitively in AM events, where I feel like a sandbagger if it get's out of hand.

Maybe if theres reasonable evidence to do so you should be able to declare a practice round on the first tee? Isn't there a provision to do something like that anyway as long as you do so before the round?"

It does make me think, there's certain rounds you don't card, like if you decide to play a round with just two clubs etc...so isn't there some kind of existing loop hole that can be implemented BEFORE you tee it up to not card the round?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you aren't playing according to the Rules or you are not trying to post the lowest score possible, the round is not acceptable for handicap purposes.

So, if it's truly a practice round, dropping balls, re-hitting shots, etc., then you don't need to post it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Imagine we used the same system as they do in the UK, where golf was born? They only record handicap rounds when playing in a medal. Everything else is considered a practice round.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Imagine we used the same system as they do in the UK, where golf was born? They only record handicap rounds when playing in a medal. Everything else is considered a practice round.
    I think that considering "everything else" as a "practice round" is not quite true. They are obligated to play in and record "x" number of competitive stroke play rounds per year for handicap purposes, and can also record "y" supplementary rounds for handicap purposes.
    I do admit that their handicapping bureau has much more authority, and exercise that authority, than the handicap committees at clubs in NA. But that applies to a lot of regulation of life/behaviour in the UK and Europe.

"1. It is based on T (tournament) scores only. An average golfer gets in only 3 to 5 scores a year. This makes the system very slow to respond to current ability. The time late in detecting changes in ability is often six months, which Dr. Fran Scheid found in a study years ago. It simply does not keep pace with current skill."

The above quotation is in line with how my friends in Scotland calculate handicap. I know at least a dozen through working in Scotland. They all seem to follow the above rules.

Perhaps there are some "exceptions" to the way it's done?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    UK & Europe
    The average no of competition rounds is way above that.
    Players who only return a few qualifying cards may not be permitted to enter some competitions (or win prizes for those they can enter).
    Handicap adjustments are not based on averaging. There is a ratchet effect. Net scores below the competition scratch score cause the handicap to reduce immediately by a proportionate figure (** 0.3 per stroke under for a 15 capper) but are increased by a fixed 0.1 only regardless of the number of strokes over.
    There is also a vigorous committee review at the end of the season.
    Sandbagging and vanity handicaps are pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    UK & Europe
    The average no of competition rounds is way above that.
    Players who only return a few qualifying cards may not be permitted to enter some competitions (or win prizes for those they can enter).
    Handicap adjustments are not based on averaging. There is a ratchet effect. Net scores below the competition scratch score cause the handicap to reduce immediately by a proportionate figure (** 0.3 per stroke under for a 15 capper) but are increased by a fixed 0.1 only regardless of the number of strokes over.
    There is also a vigorous committee review at the end of the season.
    Sandbagging and vanity handicaps are pretty rare.
    I agree with you on the number listed above as being low. However, the point I was trying to make is that "medals" as they call them in Scotland, are the rounds that count towards their cap. NOT Sunday morning rounds with pals.

The guys I know, play in a medal roughly every two or three weeks. Still a far cry from the number of rounds we play here towards our index, in that same time frame.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    In Europe official handicaps are obtained and used in formal Competitions. Social and other rounds are a different kettle of fish. The only pressure is the side bet.

But as I say, handicaps are not based on average play but biased towards best competition results. They are intended to reflect potential.

Most club have 'social groups' where 'internal' handicaps are determined by performance within the group (typically in better ball type comps (ie 3 from 4 etc)).

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    In Europe official handicaps are obtained and used in formal Competitions. Social and other rounds are a different kettle of fish. The only pressure is the side bet.

But as I say, handicaps are not based on average play but biased towards best competition results. They are intended to reflect potential.

Most club have 'social groups' where 'internal' handicaps are determined by performance within the group (typically in better ball type comps (ie 3 from 4 etc)).
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I am not sure why we are following what they do in the UK rather than following RCGA rules. I believe that for RCGA you must post a score for every acceptable round. Specifically, "the system assumes that you will be hones and try to make the best possible score on every hole and submit every acceptable score for peer review" (RCGA handicap site).

Additionally, the active handicap season for posting scores in Ontario and Quebec are from April 15 to October 31st.

Finally, if you have played a round with two balls, then you cannot post a score for either golf ball.

Thread Information