CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Spring Openings Calendar is now up!

Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Woohoo. Great news to start the weekend!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    *runs off to check calendar*

Nope, its not April 1st! WOOHOO!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Where's Prescott!

No word from Prescott as yet

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You are kidding us--right ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

6 Iron EagleEagle is on a distinguished road
    Don't know if this counts but Inness Rd Driving range was open today.yahoo!!!.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    anyone know about target golf range opening soon?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I dont think any rounds played in April should be valid for handicap purposes.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Called Prescott, no tentative opening date.
    Called Calabogie, they said sometime next week.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Next week is pretty optimistic, isn't it?
    Andrew

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I've got the golf itch just as bad as most but if courses let golfers out too early they're going to hack up the course due to the wetness, which will take months to recover. I understand it's a business but they should be thinking about the rest of the year as well. The typical courses that are less than average courses I would assume don't care much, but I wouldn't want to see one of the better courses open too early. I'd rather play golf on a course that's in good condition than just play for the sake of it.
    I like to call it a power fade

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    I've got the golf itch just as bad as most but if courses let golfers out too early they're going to hack up the course due to the wetness, which will take months to recover. I understand it's a business but they should be thinking about the rest of the year as well. The typical courses that are less than average courses I would assume don't care much, but I wouldn't want to see one of the better courses open too early. I'd rather play golf on a course that's in good condition than just play for the sake of it.
    I'll second that 100% We just returned from HH and the same problem was prevalent there---too much moisture----it will take them almost a year to repair t-box damage and green exit areas because of the high traffic problems. Both these areas on all the courses suffered greatly.

As an aside---they are hurting big time in the south. We have a number of courses here in Ottawa that would rival their conditions. Some of them may look a little nicer---but nicer does not always mean better.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    It's going to take a miracle for anything to be anywhere close to playable shape next week or probably the week after.

9 Iron Sparks is on a distinguished road Sparks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Called Prescott, no tentative opening date.
    Called Calabogie, they said sometime next week.
    Surprised to hear that about both of these courses, they're usually the first ones to open. Anybody know if they had a particularly harsh winter (I know, I know... I just mean more than other Ottawa area courses).
    "I used to relax on the weekends... then I started playing golf."

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Agreed. Should be moved to May 15th!
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Agreed. Should be moved to May 15th!
    God forbid your cap goes from a 1 to a 3 for a month.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Because??

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Because??
    I think the point behind making April 15 the start of handicap season is to make scores a fair representation of a golfer's skill on that course. We assume that by April 15 the courses will be in decent shape. If the course has plinko greens, snow in the rough under trees, no roll on fairways; that's going to blow up the golfer's handicap. I have a hard time playing bogey golf when the courses are in bad shape. When the courses are in decent shape, that's when we should enter our scores. Until that happens, I dont consider them rounds of golf. More like driving range sessions.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I think the point behind making April 15 the start of handicap season is to make scores a fair representation of a golfer's skill on that course. We assume that by April 15 the courses will be in decent shape. If the course has plinko greens, snow in the rough under trees, no roll on fairways; that's going to blow up the golfer's handicap. I have a hard time playing bogey golf when the courses are in bad shape. When the courses are in decent shape, that's when we should enter our scores. Until that happens, I dont consider them rounds of golf. More like driving range sessions.
    I agree Pablo. Shouldn't be an issue though, course won't be open for another month.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If we only counted scores that were played on courses that were in "decent" shape, then the majority would have lower handicaps, than one would have for rounds played on the variety of conditions we see over the full length of a season. If the courses conditions are less than ideal Hunt Club conditions, as most are, then the Rules of Golf allow clubs to invoke the mark, lift clean and place local rule, to ensure some of the fairness that you wish. But, since when was golf ever fair?

There is a natural evolution in handicaps over a season. Up in the spring, partly because of conditions but mostly because of rust, down in the summer and up a little in the fall. The handicap one achieves should be a "fair representation" of one's play or skill level, on a variety of courses with varying conditions, not just ideal or "decent" conditions. Would we also not count scores when playing in wind, rain and cold, days that tend to balloon our scores? Of course, we could balance the negative effect these elements have on our game by marking bush areas with red stakes. LOL

BC Mist, your point is well taken, but in my understanding the reason we have a handicapping season is to address the early spring and fall conditions. If ALL rounds were to be recorded regardless of conditions why limit the season at all?

We are at least 3 weeks behind this season. We normally see courses opening late March or early April, giving us 2 - 3 weeks of soggy ground and plinko greens. I personally feel that even on a normal year April 15 may be OK for Toronto, but here it is a bit too early.

I was trying to say what Dan said.

The artificial April 15 date should be moved forward or backwards depending on the conditions of the course. Instead of Golf Canada setting a date for everyone, each course should determine when they are ready for handicap season.

Hunt might be ready before Pineview, Greensmere probably has immaculate greens, however I played Champlain one spring and it was a joke. Unplayable greens. Lift clean and place won't help with horrible green conditions. No point entering a score under those conditions.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Spoke to Pakenham this morning - they are still 80-90% covered in snow and are looking at at least 2 weeks.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Spring is usually the only time of year I'll play another course, reciprocal privileges and vacation aside. I usually play Smugglers 2-3 times each spring. It's generally open early and in great shape.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    BC Mist, your point is well taken, but in my understanding the reason we have a handicapping season is to address the early spring and fall conditions. If ALL rounds were to be recorded regardless of conditions why limit the season at all?

We are at least 3 weeks behind this season. We normally see courses opening late March or early April, giving us 2 - 3 weeks of soggy ground and plinko greens. I personally feel that even on a normal year April 15 may be OK for Toronto, but here it is a bit too early.
    I'm with BC on this. In my opinion it's the players choice to play or not to play in April or in questionable conditions, just like some people don't play when it rains in July. April 15 is a fair start on average as is the October 31 for the end of the season. heck Alberta is March 15 - Oct 31 (has anyone seen Northern Alberta at end of Oct?) , Newfoundland is April 1st - Nov 30! Also, to say April 15 is ok for Toronto and not here, are you asking for a system that would be regional based? So, Vancouver vs Victoria vs Kamloops, or Edmonton vs Calgary, Halifax vs Sydney and so on...

If you really want to game the system, then only play your rounds in perfect "acceptable conditions". Or lobby Golf Canada to set a wind limit, a rain limit, a temp limit, or if you were out the night before limit. Oh the possibilities!!

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    If you really want to game the system, then only play your rounds in perfect "acceptable conditions". Or lobby Golf Canada to set a wind limit, a rain limit, a temp limit, or if you were out the night before limit. Oh the possibilities!!
    Really? Game the system? Is that what you actually think I was saying?

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    If everyone wants perfect conditions play the rounds to count on their index calculations, then yes, it is gaming the system. As BC said, the system is a measure of performance during all conditions that the player chooses to play in. Since the system is best 10 of last 20, then by July most of the April rounds would not count anyway, or they would have very little impact, making this whole discussion a moot point.

If everyone wants perfect conditions play the rounds to count on their index calculations, then yes, it is gaming the system.
    marc. Please stop putting words in my mouth i did not say. This discussion is not about wanting perfect conditions. As I said there is a handicap season for a reason. You cannot tell me that any course in this area will be in playable condition 5 days form now when there is still so much snow on the ground. To say that acknowledging that is 'gaming the system' is offensive to me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If you really wanted to "game the system", you would do exactly the opposite of what you have suggested. You would play as many rounds as possible in early spring when courses are almost unplayable in order to drive up your handicap index. Then when the handicapped tournaments start in June and July, you would have an advantage with your new, higher handicap. Some people would call you a "sandbagger", but since it is within the Rules for handicapping you are really just "gaming the system".

Thread Information