• Yes, with money

1 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron alexvangulik is on a distinguished road alexvangulik's Avatar

Should they penalize for slow play.

Should the pga penalize for slow play?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Absolutely.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Ditto.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Slow play is penalized in every sport. So yes.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I wish public courses would actually penalize slow play.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Public courses could reward quicker play. I remember years ago one course in the Valley had the 4some's names put in for a draw for a free round if they were finished in under 4:15 and we got behind a slow group and one of the guys in our group told the slow ones in no uncertain terms to speed it up. We didn't win the draw but got done just over 4 hrs.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    As we do in our local OVGA tournaments, which is also a reflection of what is done both provincially and nationally as well, the establishment of an overall Time Par for PGA events and penalties for being over time par at, at least two checkpoints, would eliminate the problem. If a group gets to a checkpoint over time par and more than 14 minutes behind the group in front, penalties, in the form of strokes are given.

We watch the pros on TV take in excess of 60 seconds to play a shot and make the observation that they are slow. However, if they are IN position, and take 60+ seconds, they are NOT slow.

What we often observe happening locally is that while players may be slow playing a shot, because they have walked very quickly to their golf balls after playing a tee shot, they have more time to plan and play their approaches and that is OK, as long as they are not more than 14 minutes behind the group in front. When players get behind, it is THEIR responsibility to get caught up, and not the responsibility of the officials.

Those here who play in OVGA events should have noticed that overall times to complete a round have plummeted, many groups are finishing in under 4 hours and if the Tours would do something similar, we would not have to put up with the weekly nonsense we see from the Loupe's, Furyk's, Na's and Bradley's. Can you imagine playing behind that foursome?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'd be a walk off 100%. That Loupe guy was insane.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    With that foursome you need to implement the "Balk" rule in golf!!!

Yes they should be penalized, however assigning penalties to a group when the cause is clearly one individual is not fair IMHO.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    With that foursome you need to implement the "Balk" rule in golf!!!

Yes they should be penalized, however assigning penalties to a group when the cause is clearly one individual is not fair IMHO.
    Agree that it is not fair for a slow player to cause one who plays at a proper pace to be penalized. The solution that is used is simple. If we are playing and I am causing our group to get behind, you call an official over and ask that all in the group be timed. If your times are all within the acceptable limits, and when you make an appeal at the end of a round if your group is subject to penalty, you will not be penalized. If a slow group that is behind time par suddenly "jackrabbits" causing the following group to be behind time par, that following group is not penalized, as officials are aware that this sometimes happens and watch for it.

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Agree that it is not fair for a slow player to cause one who plays at a proper pace to be penalized. The solution that is used is simple. If we are playing and I am causing our group to get behind, you call an official over and ask that all in the group be timed. If your times are all within the acceptable limits, and when you make an appeal at the end of a round if your group is subject to penalty, you will not be penalized. If a slow group that is behind time par suddenly "jackrabbits" causing the following group to be behind time par, that following group is not penalized, as officials are aware that this sometimes happens and watch for it.
    I find that most slow players on public courses are just not ready when its their turn or are simply oblivious to everything going on and you have to constantly remind them that its their shot. I have seen many poor players keep up to a group of much better players in front because they are always ready to play. Penalty strokes are fine for competitions but there should be some type of monetary implications for public courses. I like the idea of rewarding players for finishing under a certain time. Give em a coupon for a beer or hot dog or something. It would make them more money in the long run.

Thread Information