100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter James Chigs is on a distinguished road

Cool Placing flagstick

Is there a penaly if a player removes the flag stick and puts it on the putting green before taking his/her putting stroke. Can it be argued that he is testing the slope of the green or aiding in alignment. Where exactly on the green must the flag stick be placed other than being attended to by another person

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    There is no penalty for placing the flag on the putting green. It may be placed anywhere it is not going to interfere with play.
    I can't see how it would indicate slope any more than the surface itself.
    There is only a problem with alignment if it is left in a position indicating the line of play when a player actually makes a stroke.

Incidentally, when you open a new thread, 'Title' means the subject of the thread (** placing flagstick) not your title and name

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Fixed.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

7 Iron jlaidley is on a distinguished road jlaidley's Avatar
    Technically the flagstick can be placed anywhere, BUT if a ball strikes it the player who stroked the ball will get a 2 stroke penalty.

If the ball is heading towards the flag and someone moves it out of the way, that person gets a 2 stroke penalty.
    EDIT: I've left the above sentence in for thread continuity but it is WRONG. See below.
    Last edited by jlaidley; 03-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Make your golf leagues GREAT with the "golfscoring" league system: LIVE scoring on your lounge TV, handicapping & lots of other features. PM me to learn more.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    jlaidley have a look at Rule 24-1 and you will see that if the ball is heading towards the flagstick anyone can move it with NO penalty.

--------------------

24-1. Movable Obstruction
    A player may take relief, without penalty, from a movable obstruction as follows:

a. If the ball does not lie in or on the obstruction, the obstruction may be removed. If the ball moves, it must be replaced, and there is no penalty, provided that the movement of the ball is directly attributable to the removal of the obstruction. Otherwise, Rule 18-2a applies.

b. If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer the hole.

The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.

When a ball is in motion, an obstruction that might influence the movement of the ball, other than equipment of any player or the flagstick when attended, removed or held up, must not be moved.

Thanks. I'm really surprised by that so I appreciate the clarification.
    Make your golf leagues GREAT with the "golfscoring" league system: LIVE scoring on your lounge TV, handicapping & lots of other features. PM me to learn more.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaidley View Post
    Thanks. I'm really surprised by that so I appreciate the clarification.
    Just out of curiosity, why are you "really surprised" about that rule?

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are you "really surprised" about that rule?
    From the 2003 Cdn Open flagstick "incident" I thought you couldn't touch the flagstick while the ball was in motion unless it was attended. And that rule was revised to have no penalty if the flagstick wasn't in play.

Did some more reading and realize that I didn't understand that there is a difference between a flag left in the hole and and a flag removed and at rest. Don't know why that is, but the rules are the rules.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaidley View Post
    From the 2003 Cdn Open flagstick "incident" I thought you couldn't touch the flagstick while the ball was in motion unless it was attended. And that rule was revised to have no penalty if the flagstick wasn't in play.

Did some more reading and realize that I didn't understand that there is a difference between a flag left in the hole and and a flag removed and at rest. Don't know why that is, but the rules are the rules.
    What is the difference? A ball played from the putting green that strikes the flagstick results in a 2 stroke penalty, whether the flagstick is in the hole or laying somewhere on the green, and the reasons are obvious. The exception, of course, occurs when the ball strikes the flagstick that is being attended without the authority of the player.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    What is the difference? A ball played from the putting green that strikes the flagstick results in a 2 stroke penalty, whether the flagstick is in the hole or laying somewhere on the green, and the reasons are obvious. The exception, of course, occurs when the ball strikes the flagstick that is being attended without the authority of the player.
    The discussion had evolved to being about moving the flagstick after the ball was in motion. I had thought it was a penalty to move the flagstick. Apparently it is if the flag was unattended (in the hole) but not if it had been removed and was lying on the green.

With the caveat in italics

If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

Putter FionaMc is on a distinguished road
    Sometimes the I find the rules to be as clear as mud!
    To be clear; if the flagstick has been removed and is lying on the green,and a ball is then putted on the green and looks like it's going to hit the flagstick, may it (the flagstick) be moved or not, without penalty?... "when a ball is in motion, an obstruction that might influence the movement of the ball, other than equipment of any player or the flagstick when attended, removed or held up, must not be moved".

Quote Originally Posted by FionaMc View Post
    To be clear; if the flagstick has been removed and is lying on the green,and a ball is then putted on the green and looks like it's going to hit the flagstick, may it (the flagstick) be moved or not, without penalty?.
    If the flagstick has been removed and is lying on the green,and a ball is then putted on the green and looks like it's going to hit the flagstick, IT MAY BE MOVED without penalty.

Same for a player's equipment: Can be moved without penalty.

Moving any other obstruction would be a penalty.

may it (the flagstick) be moved or not, without penalty?.
    Yes it may.

What other meaning can the words have?

When a ball is in motion, an obstruction that might influence the movement of the ball, other than equipment of any player or the flagstick when attended, removed or held up, must not be moved.

Are you suggesting that everything that can't be moved is listed?

Putter FionaMc is on a distinguished road
    I'm not suggesting anything, I'm trying to understand the rule. The exception in this rule, relating to the flagstick and the equipment of the player, just seems to me to be contrary to the spirit of the rule, ie do nothing to influence the course of a moving ball. Thanks both of you, for clarifying this point.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I'm not suggesting anything, I'm trying to understand the rule. The exception in this rule, relating to the flagstick and the equipment of the player, just seems to me to be contrary to the spirit of the rule, ie do nothing to influence the course of a moving ball. Thanks both of you, for clarifying this point.
    If your fellow competitor inadvertently placed his golf clubs in a position where your
    rolling ball might strike them, would you be happy accepting a penalty stroke if the ball did strike them because of your perception of the spirit of the rule?

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    If your fellow competitor inadvertently placed his golf clubs in a position where your
    rolling ball might strike them, would you be happy accepting a penalty stroke if the ball did strike them because of your perception of the spirit of the rule?
    This is often called the "good Samaritan" Rule because players used to rush over and move the flagstick laying on the green when it appeared a ball in motion might strike it. Such actions used to result in a penalty to the player who moved the flagstick. A common sense change for the better in my opinion.

Thread Information