100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge jason3w is on a distinguished road

Any advice on which to buy 2014

I've been looking at getting a simulator for a year or so now.

Budget around $3000.
    Main requirements:
    Fun golf at home with real courses etc.
    Good practice, game improvement functionality/games built in.
    Accurate data on club and ball info.

I'm on 10HCP. I'm looking to get to 5HCP.

I practice most days and have a net setup out the back, but no info on the shots.
    I'd like to know what my shots are doing.

I have the Skypro for a lot of info, but still find i'd rather know about the ball flight more than anything.

Been looking at a few options.

P3ProSwing $799
    TruGolf on Par2Pro. $2995

Also the new ES14. $545, but not sure about simulation with this one?

Any others i should consider or experiences from similar users.

Thanks heaps.
    Jason

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    ES14 does not do sim.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jason3w View Post
    I've been looking at getting a simulator for a year or so now.

....but no info on the shots. I'd like to know what my shots are doing.

...but still find i'd rather know about the ball flight more than anything.

Also the new ES14. $545, but not sure about simulation with this one?
    As mentioned, the ES14 doesn't do sim. Nor does it measure anything related to ball flight (only club and ball speed). So suprised you are considering it given your stated objectives. Anyway, there is a lot of info on this site best thing is to read up on any device you may be considering.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    I've had a P3ProSwing for a number of years. I also stared out around 10 handicap and it has helped me quite a bit. Now I have around a 3 handicap and shot in the 60s 7 times last year. As I see it. there comes a point in time where the P3Pro system will not help and in fact can work against you. For example if you pay a little to much attention to the simulated flight path, thin shots are not well simulated for ball flight and one could ingrain a swing that produces thin shots. Of course, one can use a camera and the launch angle feature. This helps quite a bit with thin and fat shots.

There are a lot of courses to go with new packages and online play that is great. The premium courses will not work with the launch angle feature and there are issues such and not recognizing tree limbs or heavy grass. That's to bad, but it's still a great deal of fun and they are upgrading it all the time. To me, this system is a steal for all you get.

As I understand it, the TruGolf system your are considering also does not have ball sensing, so I don't know if it could be much better. Perhaps it has better ball flight simulation or ball sensing might be an upgrade. Perhaps one of the members here will chime in and give you a heads up on that.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    For your budget you will not find a simulator that will give you accurate ball and club data. The P3ProSwing and Optishot are probably the only options for you and like Stonebattle stated the P3ProSwing does not give you all the data you want.

Thanks guys. I have had a good read through all the posts and reviews etc. Still hard to really know and i think Stonebattle, your response has been one of the most helpful i've read. Thanks heaps for that.
    I think i might just jump in and grab the proswing, have a bit of fun. My girlfriend's getting into practicing into the net too, and has never played, so she'd love it too. Bit of fun more than anything i guess, and better than hitting into a black net with no idea at all.
    And i hope to get down to 3 HCP too, and shooting in the 60's, well that would be pretty sublime.

Ok guys. Thanks for the comments and help. Much appreciated.

As psace said it is either the Optishot or P3ProSwing. They are basically the same performance except the P3 is twice the price and won't tell you their accuracy (the Optishot is up front about their accuracy...one of the few simulators such as the Trackman or GC2 that will do so). I don't know why you excluded the Optishot in your list...was there a specific reason?

Anyway, I've had the Optishot for a while and have played on the P3...I find the Optishot graphics better and flight/club data similar...if anything the Optishot was more reflective of my shot shapes (even though both are quite limited in accuracy and neither one reads mis-hits properly). The Optishot can be easily re-sold and for a smaller loss if you want to upgrade to something better like the Protee or GC2.

The P3 has online play now (I've never used it) and the Optishot claims it is coming soon.

Since a low handicap is dominated by the short game, none of the simulators (even expensive ones) really do that much to lower ones handicap. Play them for fun and to stay sharp but don't expect much for golf improvement. IMHO, a good video camera will do more to help improve the golf swing than a simulator!

Both are accurate enough to be a blast to play, but if you get serious neither one will do and it will cost you some dollars. If you've setup the right environment then only the simulator has to change when/if you upgrade.

IMHO, of the low-end simulators the Optishot is easily the best bang for the buck (half the price of the P3, comparable performance, and easier resell for smaller loss) and, if you are unsure how serious you will be, perfect for "jumping in and getting your feet wet".

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    Optishot was good fun for awhile. But due to the obvious limitations in accuracy, I quickly grew tired of it. It's great for killing time. But I found it far more productive to simply turn off the PC and hit into the net alone. I could learn more from just feeling the quality of contact, than from any data that I got from Optishot. Here is a quick list of impressions of it.

Positives:
    - Graphics are surprisingly good for the price. This has probably the greatest impact on fun-factor.
    - Enjoyable way to keep hitting in the winter (At least until you get bored of it).
    - It's super cheap. Likely the best bang for the buck around. Until the next big thing comes out.

Negatives:
    - If you miss-hit it very thin, Optishot will think you smoked it straight down the middle.
    - If you hit down hard as if you are taking a divot, you will crack the plastic base. I cracked mine within a few days of getting it. Although, it doesn't affect the function in any way. It just sounds slightly different when you hit down on it now.
    - Number of courses is limited. And additional courses cost almost too much to be worth it.

Oh now i am indecisive again. I can get a p3 to Australia for $999 or buy the optishot for $527.
    So basically double the price.
    I guess the price is a smaller factor than the accuracy and durability, which in theory puts the p3 in front.
    Saying that i don't want to pay double the price for the same thing.

m3w, have you tried the p3 at all?
    FaultyClubs (i wonder if that's my problem too sometimes) thanks for the suggestion and insight. Got me thinking now.

I guess if anyone has a good amount of experience with both the optishot and the p3 i'd really love to hear a comparison from the real world.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by m3w View Post
    ...But I found it far more productive to simply turn off the PC and hit into the net alone. I could learn more from just feeling the quality of contact, than from any data that I got from Optishot...
    Interesting...this is getting off topic but I do something similar...if I'm serious at home I hit into my screen without the simulator!

I've actually found that quite useful. Where the ball hits the screen tells me how I've hit it, and how the ball spins off the screen tells me whether it is drawing or fading and roughly by how much.

I'm not sure a net would give the same info, nor would certain screen materials, but in my setup it is quite effective.

As for the low-end simulators, I play them as a game not for serious swing development so I'm still having fun after several years. I'll upgrade when an affordable launch monitor comes out (that actually works...!).

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    m3w, have you tried the p3 at all?
    No, I haven't. So far, I've only tried GC2, AboutGOLF and Full Swing.

However, I suspect the issue with how P3 reads thin shots will be similar to Optishot, since it is basically the same technology.

If your goal is more leaning towards enjoyment, get the optishot. It's cheap and fun. But if your goal is more about improving your game through data, get a video cam and an ES12 radar. And wait until one of these cheap new simulators comes out. That's what I'm doing.

I guess the price is a smaller factor than the accuracy and durability, which in theory puts the p3 in front.
    Saying that i don't want to pay double the price for the same thing.
    Jason3w...I feel your pain...but having used both I really think you're trying to extract blood from a stone! They are both low-end in accuracy and really not much different from each other. Neither even uses the correct ball flight laws, for example!

At the risk of writing a book...

Try looking at it another way: You are a 10 Handicap looking to go to 5 Hdcp and you are looking for "Good practice...Accurate data on club and ball info". Neither of these will provide what you are looking for and nothing else in that price range will either.

Right now you want both accurate ball and club data. For a 5 handicapper that's probably $15k minimum. Do you really think it's worth it? What about accurate ball data only? Currently that's probably $10k minimum. Or accurate club data only...that's probably $6k minimum. Which is more important to you if you have to choose? Or maybe it's neither and in the end realistic chipping and putting will matter the most in a simulator but is that even possible for a 5 handicapper? At this point you don't have enough experience to know what will matter the most to you.

So I'd suggest buying the Optishot and learning about the golf simulator environment and what you may care about in a simulator, then upgrade later if you get serious...at least that way you'll have some fun and won't waste a lot of money. It is entirely possible you'll decide it's just not worth a lot of money given the limitations even the best simulators have. In any case, if the Optishot isn't accurate enough for you then the P3Pro won't be either.

For me, I use the Optishot for fun and don't obsess about it's inaccuracies. In the process I've learned that accurate ball data is more important to me than club data (if I have to choose). And I learned that the short game is quite unrealistic on a simulator since it is mostly about feel for me and visually I have a hard time with simulators...the more I practice the worse I get in real life. So in the end, I know that a simulator won't do the whole job for me and that helps me decide how much I'm prepared to spend...and it isn't that much. So I wait for a much more affordable launch monitor to come out.

In the meantime I have fun on the Optishot and go to the real driving range for practice. And I take my DSLR and use it's video mode to work on my swing. A DSLR with manual shutter control can take movies at 60 fps while freezing the club clearly...and the real driving range and chipping areas simulate the ball flight PERFECTLY!

Anyway, that's my input. Good luck with whatever you do!

PS. Have you looked at the local used market? Around here Optishot's come up regularly. P3pro's not so much since there are a lot less of them sold but when they do they sell cheap.

FaultyClubs, you've pretty much sold me on the Optishot. Like you say for a first step in, and given i'm looking to have a bit of fun, and accuracy is only useful if it's accurate, not just a little bit less inaccurate as the P3 sounds to the optishot.
    So i'll take you wise words and run to the nearest Optishot i can get my hands on

Really appreciate you taking the time to lay things out for me in such a helpful way.

Like you say, the range is the best for the real practice, and yes short game is high on the list, as i'm considering building a chipping green down the bottom of our property for that!! Got 2 arces here so bit of room to chip around if i clear up a spot. Next thing to look into is fake grass Not much into lawn mowers. And i guess this is a simulated environment forum

Ok, excited to get the Optishot now. Better go find one! Cheers!

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    FaultyClubs, you've pretty much sold me on the Optishot. Like you say for a first step in, and given i'm looking to have a bit of fun, and accuracy is only useful if it's accurate, not just a little bit less inaccurate as the P3 sounds to the optishot.
    So i'll take you wise words and run to the nearest Optishot i can get my hands on

Really appreciate you taking the time to lay things out for me in such a helpful way.

Like you say, the range is the best for the real practice, and yes short game is high on the list, as i'm considering building a chipping green down the bottom of our property for that!! Got 2 arces here so bit of room to chip around if i clear up a spot. Next thing to look into is fake grass Not much into lawn mowers. And i guess this is a simulated environment forum

Ok, excited to get the Optishot now. Better go find one! Cheers!
    I started with the optishot and did enjoy it for one season but wanted more accurate launch angle data and moved on to the Protee simulator. It does give me pretty accurate data to work with. I do find putting and chipping fairly accurate and you have to rely on feel on this simulator. However, if your budget won't allow 6k then for sure go with the optishot and wait for the long awaited cheaper, accurate simulators of the future.

Jason3w:
    The Optishot simulator is hard to beat for the money. The P3proswing is also hard to beat for the money. They are both well worth what they are asking for them.

I have a couple of friends that have Optishots and they like them and so do I. I have hit many golf balls on those simulators as well as my own P3proswing and it's clear to me the P3proswing is more accurate and my friends with the Optishots agree with that.

When I say accurate, I'm not talking about the simulated ball flight. Both have issues and inaccuracies. What I'm talking about is the data showing impact on the club face, angle of attack and swing path. We did some quick impact tape tests for both. The Optishot was not bad, but the P3proswing was more consistent and accurate.

I think it was mentioned above the graphics for the Optishot are better than on the P3proswing. Some courses are better than others for sure, but the premium courses on the P3proswing look good and similar to those on the Optishot. Both do a good job.

If you are more into playing courses than analyzing your swing and want to have fun on a golf simulator with family and friends, then Optishot is a good choice. If you want more accurate feedback on your swing and want to have competitive fun on line, then P3proswing is a better choice for a golf simulator. The added cost of the P3proswing is worth it.

I would say the guys above are right, you will loose less money if you want to sell an optishot, although I sold a P3proswing on Ebay and did ok.

Found an Optishot secondhand here in Oz. $390aud. So can play with that for a bit and then make a more informed decision from there.
    Appreciate all the guidance guys.

I'm pretty sure i'll end up with a GC2 one day, or maybe in the meantime whatever bubba is hinting at will be out and will rock the scene. Seems like there is an opening there.

Cheers
    Jason

Sounds good jason...soon you'll be complaining about hard sensor mats, flaky driver readings, and bad lighting issues like a pro!

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier...in our testing of the face angle and path numbers between the P3pro and Optishot we found whichever system used taped clubs won in the accuracy and consistency department. There is nothing stopping you from taping your clubs on the Optishot. On some club types it can make quite a difference.

But make sure you get your lighting sorted out and working optimally first. This is true of both systems, the reflective IR sensor pads of the Opti/P3 are very finicky in that department.

Putter mosquito is on a distinguished road
    Bought the P3 and found it to be really good for the price. Appears with the quantity of sensors that it must be measuring something. A word of caution is the turf top on the sensor mat. I went for the mid grade turf top version. If you or anyone may hit before the ball the turf has a tendency to rip. A sensor gap before the ball and the club can catch and rip the turf. Repairing the turf with super glue or anything does not last. Spoke to P3Proswing and recommend to either hit the ball before the turf(dah) or get the commercial grade turf.

I had the original commercial grade turf top placed on mine. It's tough and wears like iron. Rip in the turf top does not sound right to me even for the lower grade turf top. Are they saying this is normal or is there an issue I'm not understanding. When you say midgrade, I take it the first would be the rubber top, the second is the home turf top like you have and the highest is the commercial grade turf top?

Putter mosquito is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    I had the original commercial grade turf top placed on mine. It's tough and wears like iron. Rip in the turf top does not sound right to me even for the lower grade turf top. Are they saying this is normal or is there an issue I'm not understanding. When you say midgrade, I take it the first would be the rubber top, the second is the home turf top like you have and the highest is the commercial grade turf top?
    To clarify its the home turf top that we have. I have spoken to P3 and they advise that the rip is totally from hitting the turf prior to the ball. Being a home use turf I would assume a bit of better durability. I do question the design as the row of sensors right before the ball creates a slot that club swings can catch the turf and have it start to roll up and rip. Can others with the home turf option chime in about the durability? I'm considering changing the turf to a commercial grade however its pricey at over $400.

Hmmm, I would say the pad should be designed with fat shots in mind. So, I personally call BS on P3s response.

Thread Information