100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter McManGQ is on a distinguished road

Another Home Simulator Suggestion

So I've read as much as I could on this forum but am still a bit undecided on which simulator to look into. As of yesterday I was sold on the TruGolf Technique Prestige, many of the posts were older and was hoping some of the bugs were fixed and improved but it doesn't seem that it has. I've read suggestions for other people and GC2, Protee seem to be mentioned a lot. Someone mentioned the Trackman and wow does that look nice but way out of price range. I looked at the Aboutgolf and ideally that's what I want but not much information on their site, price, required dimensions etc. I think Golftown, golf channel have that.

My real issue is the height of the ceiling, I'm looking for something in the basement however it's only 8'9" which limits me (also a reason why the Trugolf Prestige was in my radar). I am a lefty and know there must be something wrong with me for being one, lol but looking for something that fits into that area, not having to switch for RH and LH. Width is about 14' and Length is 20'.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by McManGQ; 03-22-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I would suggest you look at the ProTee. GC2 also an option.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Maybe consider checking golfsimulatorguys.com and par2pro.com for more ideas. It sounds like you are on the right trail.

5 Wood golferinmd is on a distinguished road
    ceiling height is a key issues. Can you swing fully? I vote for GC2 as very mobile and flexible

I can swing fully. The issue is also the overhead projector vs the Technique which is on the ground. I'm not sure where the overhead one would go without me blocking it and without hitting it with the ball or club? The one on the ground would solve these issues I think. Also accuracy would be nice but more for entertainment. I'm pretty new to golf but love it and would love to hit year round. I'm a very high handicapper. So high I don't even know how to calculate it..lol

Look at a short throw projector, You will need to figure out the distance to the screen etc. Protee simulator will give you very good club stats being you are a high handicapper. Setup is not hard but certainly more than the GC2.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    The fact that you are left handed would suggest that the GC2 may not be for you, especially if you want to have right-handed players over to play. If you are only playing by yourself, then it won't matter.

The ProTee on the other hand can be an easy setup for some but a real pain in the butt for others versus the setup for the GC2. Just read the posts for both simulators and you will see what I mean.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I agree with your comment on the aboutgolf website, seems to be in need of an update.

Would everyone agree that Trugolf should be out of the running?

Do you have to select the club you're using with Protee?

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Yes you do have to select club.
    The software caddy suggest a club in game play and for me it is the right club or close enough 90% of the time.
    One club up or down will not make a difference.

You need to think about what you want or expect from a simulator. Is it game improvement or entertainment?
    As a high hdcp you could improve your consistency but in the + 3 years I been on this forum not one person has stated they lowed their hdcp by using a simulator!
    I got a Protee and when home I use it a lot also for practicing but it's value is more in entertainment area.

You should only go with a Protee if you got complete light control! Able to eliminate all natural light in the space.
    I can't completely and get to many misreads special in the mornings on sunny days.

Was I to buy a new simulator today I would look into something that was not dependent on light conditions and also a mobile unit you can take outside.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    Yes you do have to select club.
    The software caddy suggest a club in game play and for me it is the right club or close enough 90% of the time.
    One club up or down will not make a difference.

You need to think about what you want or expect from a simulator. Is it game improvement or entertainment?
    As a high hdcp you could improve your consistency but in the + 3 years I been on this forum not one person has stated they lowed their hdcp by using a simulator!
    I got a Protee and when home I use it a lot also for practicing but it's value is more in entertainment area.

You should only go with a Protee if you got complete light control! Able to eliminate all natural light in the space.
    I can't completely and get to many misreads special in the mornings on sunny days.

Was I to buy a new simulator today I would look into something that was not dependent on light conditions and also a mobile unit you can take outside.
    Interesting. So you'd go with, say a GC2 or the new mystery device if you were to do it again? That's very valuable advice.

Thanks,
    Mike

I don't know enough about Trugolf to comment on that simulator. Your room dimensions will be a little tight in order to accomodate both left and right handers. If you are only going to use it for yourself then the GC2 seems like the best option. The GC2 is definitely the best option if you want portability and easy setup. I also believe the GC2 is the simulator to beat at this time as far as price/accuracy goes. Having said that, the cost of their courses is very high but their new software may be more affordable. Time will tell on that issue.

There are a lot of upgrades in the works and who knows when they will be available. There are hardware and software changes coming and it will be imperative to know if the new software will work with the simulator you own. For example, E6II looks very good and it should work with most simulators including flightscope which seems like another good option.

Just do your homework before you purchase!

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Interesting. So you'd go with, say a GC2 or the new mystery device if you were to do it again? That's very valuable advice.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Would look at the GC2 but also the FS Xi. There might be others too.

Happy enough with the Protee but are not willing to change my room so there isn't any light coming in. The room is used for all kind of other toys so need to work for more than one purpose.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McManGQ View Post
    Do you have to select the club you're using with Protee?
    club selection isn't as annoying as you'd think while you are actually playing a round because you end up standing in front of the computer for each shot anyways. For a given shot, you want to see what distance to hit and then select where to aim (e.g. using arrow keys). So it's kind of a natural move to just pick the club once you determine which one to hit and where you are aiming. I thought it would be annoying but it doesn't bother me at all. Probably bugs some people.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    I don't know enough about Trugolf to comment on that simulator. Your room dimensions will be a little tight in order to accomodate both left and right handers. If you are only going to use it for yourself then the GC2 seems like the best option. The GC2 is definitely the best option if you want portability and easy setup. I also believe the GC2 is the simulator to beat at this time as far as price/accuracy goes. Having said that, the cost of their courses is very high but their new software may be more affordable. Time will tell on that issue.

There are a lot of upgrades in the works and who knows when they will be available. There are hardware and software changes coming and it will be imperative to know if the new software will work with the simulator you own. For example, E6II looks very good and it should work with most simulators including flightscope which seems like another good option.

Just do your homework before you purchase!
    Totally agree with psace, the GC2 seems a great unit, easy to set up but software costs are beyond ridiculous. I was in your position and have recently purchased the Protee after many hours of research.
    Another thing to consider with the Protee type system is the extra work needed in building a sub floor to accommodate the floor sensors. On the plus side Protee have had a couple of sale specials recently, with tons of courses in the package and great support it got my vote.

Good luck!

The dealer in Kitchener offered me 13 free courses if I bought the performance simulation software.

Quote Originally Posted by mthunt View Post
    The dealer in Kitchener offered me 13 free courses if I bought the performance simulation software.
    That is a good deal if they are the Red Chain courses and if the price is the regular cost for the hardware.

Where is this dealer? I'd like to know if there's someone in the area with a Trugolf to test out. I'd like to try out the Protee too

Dealer is in Kitchener. It's in Ontario Canada.

ahardy@foresightsports.com

Anyone know where I can test out the Technique Prestige in southern ontario? Does it have the ball cam?

You are getting things mixed up. The Trugolf Technique Prestige is a sensor based with sonic tracking of the ball. There is no camera. The ProTee is a sensor based system with a ball camera.

I meant on the screen, do you see the flight of the ball after it hits the screen.

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    You are getting things mixed up. The Trugolf Technique Prestige is a sensor based with sonic tracking of the ball. There is no camera. The ProTee is a sensor based system with a ball camera.

Hey Bubba, if I had the means I would but the protee system for sure. I have an optishot right now and its better than nothing for our cold winters ! I have watched some of your online matches on twitch and it looks like a blast to compete. It does seem to take a while when someone else is hitting. Is it just like real golf when some players are slower than others or is it software or internet related ? After you hit , could it speed it up if you select your club and place your ball so your ready to shoot when its your turn ? DD claims they will have online play "soon" . I hope it flows smooth and promotes fast online play.

Cheers

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    It depends on the golfer. Some take longer to hit then others. The internet is not usually the problem.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Ready golf. My dad and I walk 18 every time we play and we never hold anyone up. The reason....we play ready golf. Shouldn't online play work the same way?

The hardest part about speeding up online play is that you don't get to see your shot situation until it's your turn. So you can have your ball ready, but you can't pick the exact club or the exact aim until it's your turn and you see how far away you are, what the wind is doing, if it's up or down hill, whether you want to be short / long / right / left of the hole, etc. That is the part that slows it down the most. For them to step change the speed on online play they would need to address that. If we could all aim, figure out the shot we want, etc. while the other guy is hitting then it would really speed it up - maybe with a split screen (see the other guy hitting on one half of the screen and see your situation on the other half!).

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply, I thought that everyone was "ready" to hit . So having your distance and being able to aim while you wait your turn would be the fastest form of online play then. I wonder how much time you would save in 18 holes ? I guess thats why you guys don't play foursomes. I think I would feel rushed so I dont slow the group down.

Cheers

It takes about 45 min per guy. Give or take. So you have 1.5 hours or so for a twosome. Maybe 1:45 if a really tough course / a lot of OB / hazards. Double that for a foursome.

I'm guessing you'd save 15-20 min off a twosome if the software let you get ready while the other guy is hitting.

No need to rush during the online play. Line it up, pick the club, practice swing and it's all good. I don't get the sense the guys feels rushed.

xdreamgolf
    McManGQ

Other than a lesson, and or video the next best thing is knowing your club information. Just be real careful making a swing change on a sim. It's really easy to focus on the wrong thing. If you have been getting lessons talk to that pro. The GC2 is great at ball info, but for a High HC you just asking for trouble using that info for improvement(HMT great if you have the cash). Figure out a swing that gets the club impacting a ball as close to proper as you body allows, the ball flight will fall into place. WARNING! Any tech that shows you club head or ball speed is dangerous! Set backs will occur. It's nice to see, but when you see something fast and you feel how easy it was, even with both hands tied somehow our brain finds a way to swing harder. Then it all falls apart!!!! Yes personal experience, fortunately I have good brakes!

I can say having the opportunity to play a lot this year on sims has greatly improved my game. I hit the real driving range yesterday and WOW! I know only part of it will show up on the course, but was a benefit. Also a side note- I am not normal. I know far more about what should happen and why as it pertains to making that little wight ball do what it does, rather than doing it myself. Curse in some ways, but for my head it works. This will be my 3rd season and should be nearing a 10 HC. Short game will get me there outside! Not looking forward to it, but it's putt-putt-putt-putt-putt for this years practice.

The systems I installed this year were from TruGolf and I have become VERY familiar with all that's good, and all that's lacking. In a home environment set up well, I see no issues. They are tolerant with the ambient light and if you know what not to do you will have very few missed shots. Both swing and booth set up. One note they are loud! and need to be for the acoustics. So if you have a wife or kids that startle easy, they will not be fans!

I suspect and plan soon to know ProTee will/does have advantages over TruGolf. In a home you can over come the noise issue, lighting using any cameras will play a role. As far as missed shots and the pad go, I will have to wait and see. I seem to read that it's more of an issue with TruGolf, but knowing TruGolf it does not seem to be the lighting, Hat shadows, strange swing planes, weird waggles, STATIC!!, and ghosts!.

It's possible in the not to distant future I may have something really, really cool up my sleeve, or in my shop. Frustration for me always gets me thinking. And this little virtual golf world can be just that!

When more likely than if, This place will be the first to get a peak!!! On that note I am looking for someone in the area to bounce a boggie or two off, as I get further into this. Southern Maine area. Golfer interested or experienced in the commercial simulator market.

Hit it as hard as you can, take two club lengths, drop and hammer it again!

Thread Information