100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GC2 base

5 Wood golferinmd is on a distinguished road

GC2 base

I have a 5X5 hitting mat and with the longer clubs and the GC2 I am short of space. Has anyone designed an additional item the GC2 can sit on that isn't part of the mat? The GC2 takes a good part of the hitting area if it sits on the mat?

Can I use a book or something to put the GC2 on and move it from my 5X5. Hitting a driver I don't have enough space

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I just added a thin 1/4" mdf board where the GC2 will sit and will screw the front of the board to the platform when its lined up so it will not shift and then use what ever you want to prop up the area hanging over the platform so the GC2 sits level.

It's easier to drill the GC2 leg holes in the MDF board first and then just thread bolts into the leg holes so there is about a 1/2 inch of thread sticking out. Then I drop the GC2 metal cage onto those holes and this way it won't shift but can be removed and replaced in the exact same spot. Then I set up the GC2 and did some test putts to line up the GC2 with my putting line so it was as accurate as possible with that + or - 1 deg that the GC2 reads. Then screw the MDF board down to your platform again once you are sure it is lined up.

By removing the rubber legs, you allow for the 1/4" MDF height and not make the GC2 sit any higher than it is with legs on.

The biggest thing is that you do get vibration on the hitting platform and it can make the GC2 move slightly and thus would cause putts to be off when you think you are hitting stright. By having the MDF board mounted, even if you kick your platforum, both it and the GC2 will move together and still be lined up to your hitting mat.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Ask the Real Feel guys to make you a GC2 mat that is basically a smaller cut sized for the GC2 + HMT. They did it for me for a VERY reasonable price. I liked going this route since the GC2 on the separate mat will sit at the same height.

Gap Wedge Sony420 is on a distinguished road
    Here is what i did. Made a frame out of 1.25 inch PVC.... 5x5 with two sections for the GC2 that are 17 wide by 19 deep. The mat is a country club elite image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry forgot to add its my intention to add a piece of mat in the holes, or a piece of wood on top to put the GC2 on.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I put it on a phone book. What else are you going to do with a phone book these days?

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony420 View Post
    Here is what i did. Made a frame out of 1.25 inch PVC.... 5x5 with two sections for the GC2 that are 17 wide by 19 deep. The mat is a country club elite Attachment 43943Attachment 43944Attachment 43945Attachment 43946
    That is really excellent! It isolates the GC2 mat, but keeps everything connected. I also love the shank net you added. Very well done sir.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    On another note, I am using the Real Feel two piece mat and I love it. The stance mat portion is firmer than the hitting mat. When I stand on the hitting mat, it is noticeably softer. For those of you using the 5x5, how does it feel to stand on it all the time? Also, is it too soft to set the GC2 on and keep it stable?

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    I use a 2x6 piece of wood that the GC2 sits on separate from my mat. I then use a 1x4 as a space when I need to adjust how far the GC2 is from the mat.

Great advice. Jsgregg...the Real Feel is nice and soft. I like hitting off of it so I can feel my right heel and instep take weight in the backswing. Plus I swing in barefeet.

Sony..awesome job. I am way too lazy for that. I may just get a piece of real feel and keep it away from the 5X5 and use a measuring device. Good topic and I AM very glad to ask it. I guess it is more important than I thought

Thanks guys, yeah the shank net was used the very first time my son hit. Made me sick to think of what would of happened to my RV if i had not had it there. RV will have to be moved to hit, not worth the chance....still a work in progress. P.s. GC2 comes tomorrow.

Let us know how the GC2 works out!

Putter Iocol is on a distinguished road
    Is the GC2's accuracy affected if it sits slightly higher than the mat? For example, what if you use a wood plank/Real Mat or something else that is level to the hitting mat but your GC2 is sitting in the protective cradle? Is it essential for the unit to be absolutely level to the hitting surface?

I know there were accuracy issues if the unit sits lower.

That is what I was told. I ordered a piece of Real Mat to keep it even. I think I will gain a good amount of space on my 5X5 for the driver.

Hybrid john8888 is on a distinguished road
    If accuracy is affected by the level of the GC2 ...should we all not be moving our units higher when we tee it up for driver vs irons off the same level?

Thread Information