CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rivermead

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar

Rivermead

anyone thinking of taking advantage of the rivermead deal?

and can any rivermead members on the forum provide some additional information on the course re tournaments? tee time availability? some general membership demographics? pace of play?

thanks
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Are you looking at leaving Rideau View?

I used to be a member at Rivermead before they did a bunch of changes. I didn't particularly love it back then. But that opinion doesn't really hold a lot of value now that they have made some changes.

I know that my Brother played in three tournaments there. He's a regional sales manager for a home builder here in Ottawa, so these all had to do with either banking or real estate. I really don't know how often they hold outside tournaments though, but to me, the fact he went three times in one Summer, for the same sort of industry so to speak, seemed more than normal for a private (non-Clublink) course.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    There isn't a lot of tournament. I used to be a Clublink member and moved to Rivermead because it is close to my place. The course was in excellent shape for the last two years even when other comparable courses were struggling. As for tee-time availability, it has never been an issue for me. I normally play very early during the week-end. Wednesday through Friday afternoons are more busy as well for the block of hours between 8:30 and noon on the week-ends; as one would expect. As for demographic, with the creation of an intermediate category, some younger members have joined. I guess our average age is somewhere between Rideauview and Royal Ottawa. For more information, don't hesitate to call the GM. The current offer is a pretty good deal with no long-term commitment except for the first two years.

Good info.

I left Clublink as well. It was a shame to see Eagle Creek run by such a money hungry organization. GM's hands are tied even though he has a lot of great ideas.

i'm just gathering some information before making my decision. the number of tournaments at rideauview continues to increase and I recently changed offices and where I live making it almost a 45 min drive to the course vs a 10 minute drive to rivermead. that and the significant cost savings over the next two seasons as I'm on turning 26 this coming winter.

big easy- any news on the new short game facility? how is the range?

All good reason either way to make the switch.

I'm hoping RV isn't too tournament heavy. Obviously it's good for the club as far as income goes, and it seems they put money back into the course at a high rate, but it takes away from the "private" atmosphere for sure.

Last year we had three * events the week before the Club Championship. It was an absolute joke to be honest. The odds of your ball being in a divot off the tee were ridiculously high. Not to mention the ball marks in the greens etc... Pretty much sums up the experience...

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    anyone thinking of taking advantage of the rivermead deal?

and can any rivermead members on the forum provide some additional information on the course re tournaments? tee time availability? some general membership demographics? pace of play?

thanks
    What is the rivermead deal out of curiosity?
    I like to call it a power fade

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I'm hoping RV isn't too tournament heavy.
    just seemed like every Monday for the entire summer was booked with a tournament or course maintenance activities. so that limits players to playing roughly 4 times a week with ladies night being Tuesday and mens night being Wednesday.

check out their website. they have a link to the promo. basically no initiation fees for two years and yearly dues depend on age. no food and bev and locker and bag storage included

i'm just gathering some information before making my decision. the number of tournaments at rideauview continues to increase and I recently changed offices and where I live making it almost a 45 min drive to the course vs a 10 minute drive to rivermead. that and the significant cost savings over the next two seasons as I'm on turning 26 this coming winter.

big easy- any news on the new short game facility? how is the range?
    I'm not aware whether the short game facility will leave the planning stage anytime soon. We have the concept and drawings but not enough $$$ for now. As for the drving range, no improvements are in the plans. They will have to repair the net at the end of the range as it was damaged last fall. The overall practice facility is more than enough to warm up and to fine tune or correct some swing flaws. In addition, we normally hit balls from the turf every Sunday.

just seemed like every Monday for the entire summer was booked with a tournament or course maintenance activities. so that limits players to playing roughly 4 times a week with ladies night being Tuesday and mens night being Wednesday.
    I'm okay with four times a week. I have other priorities as well, so I can't be out there seven days a week anyway.

You can play Men's Night and Lady's Night though...They only block off a certain time period, not the entire day. So I was told anyway. That's how it worked at EC as well.

Anyway, sounds like you can't go wrong with Rivermead. Might try it out this Summer to see what changes they've made to the course since I've last played.

Just looked at the Rivermead info for fun.

Looks as though that depending on age group, the annual fees are actually higher than Rideau View. Quite substantially actually once you turn 30.

So really, it's a decent way to get people to join, but there's only a real savings for two years. After that, you spend more.

Any time restrictions for Intermediate members there?

Anyway, good luck with your decision either way.

There are no restrictions for the intermediate members. As for the price, I don't believe it is a determinative factor. For me, location and whether the course is manicured and enjoyable are the determinative factors. If I lived in the west end, I would certainly consider Rideau View and Eagle Creek. In the east end, I would certainly have Camelot and Outaouais on my short list. Since I live in Aylmer, I had both the Royal Ottawa and Rivermead on my list when I decided to quit Hautes Plaines. I opted for the Mead since I prefer its layout and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    There are no restrictions for the intermediate members. As for the price, I don't believe it is a determinative factor. For me, location and whether the course is manicured and enjoyable are the determinative factors. If I lived in the west end, I would certainly consider Rideau View and Eagle Creek. In the east end, I would certainly have Camelot and Outaouais on my short list. Since I live in Aylmer, I had both the Royal Ottawa and Rivermead on my list when I decided to quit Hautes Plaines. I opted for the Mead since I prefer its layout and atmosphere.
    I agree with you, however, the price seems to be on the list of gregnol since he mentioned it.

that and the significant cost savings over the next two seasons as I'm on turning 26 this coming winter.

That's why I mentioned that for two years, yes, the cost is lower, but then becomes more expensive. Since most people don't join a course for two years only, it's important to keep that in mind.

Proximity of the courses for you, makes Rivermead a good choice. Definitely a better atmosphere so to speak compared to Royal.

I believe Gregnol should verify with the GM as I'm not sure how the deal applies to the intermediate category. Irrespective of the private club he would join, there is always an increase at some point for individuals in that category. Some have the deal until you reach 40 and others until 35. The best thing is to inquire and get first hand information...and that is free!

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I believe Gregnol should verify with the GM as I'm not sure how the deal applies to the intermediate category. Irrespective of the private club he would join, there is always an increase at some point for individuals in that category. Some have the deal until you reach 40 and others until 35. The best thing is to inquire and get first hand information...and that is free!
    Good advice. It would be best to get concrete numbers before stipulating. I know for a fact at 30, annual costs become over $1000 more at Rivermead in comparison.

Having said that, as you said, there are more than just fees to consider in any decision...

Either way, good luck with the decision.

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I agree with you, however, the price seems to be on the list of gregnol since he mentioned it.

That's why I mentioned that for two years, yes, the cost is lower, but then becomes more expensive. Since most people don't join a course for two years only, it's important to keep that in mind.

Proximity of the courses for you, makes Rivermead a good choice. Definitely a better atmosphere so to speak compared to Royal.
    Royal has a great deal, $1500 for 60 days of golf, no upfront fees, no bar minimum, no restrictions, $1500 and play golf at a private course…a great deal !!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Oooh that's tempting...

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    Royal has a great deal, $1500 for 60 days of golf, no upfront fees, no bar minimum, no restrictions, $1500 and play golf at a private course…a great deal !!!!
    Where's that info located on the Royal? Does the 60 days start at any time?
    I like to call it a power fade

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    Id also like to know where this info is located. I worked there for almost 10 years and never played the full track.

wolfer
    Recently moved to Ottawa, and after looking around the different Ottawa courses I will likely be grabbing the Rivermead deal. I fit into the lowest category of Intermediate so it's $1,415

I was speaking to the Royal Membership coordinator and she did not bring up the promo (about a week or two ago)

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    Where's that info located on the Royal? Does the 60 days start at any time?
    Starts anytime and just call them. They had an info session a few weeks ago.

Welcome to the Rivermead Gregnol!

Thread Information