CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar

Hitting down on simulator turf .

How many of you guys are hitting down on your turf and how many are picking the ball ? What turf is good for hitting down ?

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    I hit down with my irons. My turf is a 3' x 5' mat and quite thick, the nylon itself is over 1" and the total mat is probably about 1.5inch thick. I think I got it from All Turf although I couldn't find the exact mat when I just looked now. I'm happy with it.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Hit down with real feel and Truestrike gel.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    CPA were you able to do a comparison between real feel and Truestrike? I have Truestrike, but recall maybe you having tried both and it would be great to hear the differences between the two from your perspective (I'm happy with the Truestrike, but of course question my decision as I never got to try the real feel).

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Forgot to add my response to the post and my thoughts are that you should still be hitting down on the ball.

Lob Wedge mxwoodman is on a distinguished road
    I have both the truestrike and the realfeel both are great mats I think the best out there

But for me the TS will let you get away with hitting fat and I think it's some times a little hard to tell and the shot is still good

but the realfeel I think is closer to how it feels on grass when you hit fat and does affect the shot

Quote Originally Posted by mxwoodman View Post
    I have both the truestrike and the realfeel both are great mats I think the best out there...
    Hmmm...the realfeel mat looks the same as the allturf mat that I mentioned earlier...only more expensive!
    Last edited by FaultyClubs; 03-02-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    The TS will do less damage to your arms on those fat shots. I know they are fat. Real turf does not do your arms damage. So for me TS is the choice for hitting down... In my view the end result of fat shots with both mats will be in error.

Thank you both for the input! I know for me making sure I did not injure myself was very important in my selection. I developed golfers elbow a couple of years ago and fear each season that it might come back. Fortunately I have not had to wear my arm band for some time now and really want to keep it that way. At the moment I am just hitting into my netting as I wait and decide on what sim tech I will use. Should be getting Cory's HQ screen soon and can't wait to have a sim to hit into (fingers crossed by the end of the month)!

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I tried both Truestrike and Real Feel. Went with the real feel. For me I felt hitting down and through was better with Real Feel. Also preferred one mat vs. sections of the TS which allowed me to move the mat around easily. Also TS is difficult to use with a GC2 as there is no tee hole on the gel section, you have to play a rubber tee on top of the gel and that is tricky as the rubber tee will go flying whenever you drive the ball.

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    Can the truestrike or realfeel be cut out for an optishot ?

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I don't see why you can't cut the real feel. Definitely no to the true strike. You can probably get the real feel folks to send you one pre-cut. But if you are using it for optshot you don't really need to spend the money on real feel. At least not the one that's designed to hit irons on. Real Feel i believe makes a "range" mat that is cheaper lower quality that would probably be fine for optishot. I would ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    Hmmm...the realfeel mat looks the same as the allturf mat that I mentioned earlier...only more expensive!
    I also have 3 allturf mats there are not the same as the realfeel but you can still hit down in to them
    http://www.amazon.com/TT4860-Monster...ords=golf+mats

Quote Originally Posted by mxwoodman View Post
    I also have 3 allturf mats there are not the same as the realfeel but you can still hit down in to them
    http://www.amazon.com/TT4860-Monster...ords=golf+mats
    Yes, that's the one "Monster Tee Golf mat". Absolutely one can hit down on it as I do all the time.

Since you have both what is the difference between them? is there any significant differences?

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    Yes, that's the one "Monster Tee Golf mat". Absolutely one can hit down on it as I do all the time.

Since you have both what is the difference between them? is there any significant differences?
    They are very different - the turf on the realfeel is tighter (its firmer when you stand on it than the allturf) and has a better feel on full shots and it does have a rubber backing like a 1" or so but you could add that to the allturf but then they would cost about the same

The allturf is much softer and I use it for pitching and chipping and think it's more like hitting from the short rough and seems to grab the club a little more but still a good mat

I still think that the TS and realfeel are the best ones I've bought and used and still like the realfeel a little more, I know good players know when they hit it fat but I've been letting my brother in law use the TS and he is real good from it but he almost all time is hitting fat and when he hits off the grass it takes a few shots to stop hitting fat.

The other thing the gel might to be replaced it's not as firm as it was when it was new and it's a few years old now and that might have something to do with it.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I also have a 4'x5' monster mat and can hit with any AOA that I want. It works great with tees also.

Thread Information