CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

What are some good, cheap ottawa courses?

hey guys, just moved from Toronto to ottawa and am looking for some good/cheap courses to play for the summer. I'm trying to keep the green fees under $40 but if there is a course that is AMAZING that you think I should really check out please do post it and I'll check it out. Secod year, looking to see a huge drop in my score this year. Playing Irish hills tomorrow.. should be fun its really close to my house and I would imagine the condions at all courses would be kinda crappy right now so why spend big bucks early

Pitching Wedge mully is on a distinguished road
    Where did you hear it

"Richard"
    hear what? About the course? dont know, just picked one off this website, called them and booked

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Check out info/prices about Ottawa courses here:

http://www.ottawagolf.com/coursemenu/index.htm

If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars more than $40, then try Emerald Links.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Irish Hills

Obviously some of my message is missing. You said you were going to Irish Hills . What I
    Also, if you played it let me know how it is.

why is it not posting my whole message

"Richard"
    I went, its in horrible condition. My shoes were so wet. Whatever you shoot... add about 10 shots to your score. Greens are soooo slow and your drives get no bounce because they plug right into the fairway. Anyway, give it another week. For $26 it was what I expected however

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mully
    Obviously some of my message is missing. You said you were going to Irish Hills . What I
    Also, if you played it let me know how it is.
    Just looking at what it DID post, I'm thinking you may be putting html tags on something... Use the little icons above the typing box if you want to bold or italicize, or insert image...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    At this time of year you want to play courses that drain well, so right now that would be Mapleview in Perth and Nation near Wendover. The Meadows is usually in good shape when it opens, along with La Cite in Hawkesbury. All of these are under $40. Emerald Links is also very good, and later on in the year it is definately an excellent value at $47. When the days get longer, try Eagle Creek at the twilight rate of $45 after 4 pm. An amazing course that every golfer should play at least once a year.

When conditions get better, I would also recommend Cloverdale, Manderley, Packenham, Metcalfe, Mont Cascades, Cedarhill and the Canadian in your price range. The least expensive course in the area is Pineview, which is right in town at the 417/Blair Road intersection making it very convenient for twilight golf. It has a reputation for poor course conditions that was well deserved in the past but it has improved over the last couple of years.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

"Richard"
    maybe I should just work on my game at the driving range for the next few days

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    maybe I should just work on my game at the driving range for the next few days
    thotho, the season always opens early for golf nuts, earlier than it should. TO is no different, just no ones going to pay $80 for lousy conditions. There are some dry conditions at certain courses (I went to Prescott, 1 hour away, and only one hole was very wet).

ONCE the CONDITIONS get good (ie: 2-4 weeks), these are golf courses that are slightly expensive, but excellent. Keep in mind, you always get what you pay for:
    - eagle creek ($75, but $45 twilight special), highly recommended, well worth the fee
    - marshes ($100), high end course
    - loch march ($50?), probably the best priced for the conditions

Here are some that are good condition, well priced for the condition (range $30 to $50):
    - packenham (long drive, great price, great conditions for the price)
    - emerald links (short shot makers course)
    - stonebridge (short, unforgiving rough, crazy tough greens)
    - Upper Canada (nice course, used to have great greens, long drive)
    - montibello (long drive, shot makers course, excellent conditions)

Here are some courses that are well priced, ok to good condition:
    - Calabogie (long drive, fun course)
    - Mont Cascades (close by, fun course (back nine rent a cart), ok conditions
    - Canadian (great conditions, always crowded)
    - Thurso (nice course, a bit of a drive)
    - Manderly (not bad)
    - nation (fun layout, often disappointed in green conditions)

Most other courses are either a bit higher priced than they should, or a bit bad in conditioning, or a downright cow pasture. You'll hear otherwise. My best recommendation: try them yourself.

This is all my opinion.

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    It never ceases to amaze me that most people do not put GlenMar on the list of courses that are good value for the money. At $35, I personally think it's a good deal. Course is generally in good shape and has enough interesting holes to make you think instead of just getting up there and banging away. I know #18 is not most people's favourite hole, but that should not stop you from coming out.

"Richard"
    wow, lots of good feedback in this thread. I'll check out all those courses for sure. I'm going to be doing a lot of golfing this month

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    GlenMar is nice but there is too many doglegs. It gets a bit tiresome after a while. Mind you i'd rather be golfing there than working.

Gap Wedge KoryB33 is on a distinguished road
    I believe the best value is at The oaks Of Cobden - $30 on the weekend. It is an hour drive west of the city though.

Worth it in my opinion.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    It never ceases to amaze me that most people do not put GlenMar on the list of courses
    Ive just never played it...or the cobden one. I try to put down courses I've played and can vouch for, and based on what I've seen people recommend, its often hard to trust a recommendation.

"Richard"
    I play the canadian for $5 per round

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Most of what everyone says is true---this is early early early--played Mapleview Sunday--for this time of the year-GREAT it beats indoor golf for 5.00 less. New to area ---try Mont Pellier (spelling is wrong) they are opening May 1. They have a spring special-30.00 including cart--I think it is best price for quality-scenery and condition in the area--anytime even at full rate. On the quebec side -45 min from Orleans. You might also try Hammond after 2:00 --it is 15.00 all summer. Nice and clean--had a little trouble with their greens last year but they finally came around--nice people

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryB33
    I believe the best value is at The oaks Of Cobden - $30 on the weekend. It is an hour drive west of the city though.

Worth it in my opinion.
    Any idea when they're opening? I tried calling late last week and on the weekend and got no answer. They don't appear on this site anymore (or were they ever?!)

Mike

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

GlenMar..

any websites on this course?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Thank you...

"Richard"
    I played emrald links yesterday. That course is in great shape. We played the west and the south 9 and it was completely drained. The greens are a little slow but the farther you get into the course the better the green conditions. The 8th or 9th hole is in GREAT shape. BEST COURSE CONDITIONS SO FAR (still no carts allowed)

"Richard"
    sorry posted this in the wrong section before...

Here it is again

perfect thanks, that is exactly what I was asking.

Has anyone played edgewood? I just called and their green fees are only $15!!!!!!! Its not to far from eagle creek either. Anyone played it? How is it?

sorry posted this in the wrong section before...

Here it is again

perfect thanks, that is exactly what I was asking.

Has anyone played edgewood? I just called and their green fees are only $15!!!!!!! Its not to far from eagle creek either. Anyone played it? How is it?
    While I don't know what it's like this year, its only resemblance to Eagle Creek is that it's fairly close geographically. It's not on my top-25 list, but they have put on a few good fundraising tournaments in the past for veterans' related causes.

"Richard"
    for $15 is it worth it or am I better of playing irrish hills for $26. Is it better than irrish hills?

for $15 is it worth it or am I better of playing irrish hills for $26. Is it better than irrish hills?
    I'd play Irish Hills for $26. I was a member there for 4-5 years before they finished the "new 9". It's been a while though. Conditions seemed to slip a tad post-construction but I'm sure it bounced back. Even if it didn't completely, I still would play it 10 times out of 10 if given the choice between the two. The added benefit is that Irish Hills is also much closer to town!

"Richard"
    the $15 club is that bad?!?!?!? I guess I'll give it a shot but I'm going to play irrish hills a few more times before I start playing the good courses

Pitching Wedge chinny424 is on a distinguished road chinny424's Avatar
    It is not open yet but I am shocked that nobody has said anything about Greensmere. In my opinion it has the best greens in the city for the price range and I would even compare them to the Marshes which is much more expensive. You also get the bonus of having two full 18 hole championship courses to choose from. The best course in the city and it is only 10 minutes from scotiabank place.

Thread Information