CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road

Golf Digest Hot List - Really?!

I was flipping through this years Golf Digest Hot List last night and noticed that almost every club made for 2014 has made the "Gold" hot list. I don't recall it being quite this heavy weighted before. Was it like that in past years also?

What exactly is the point of having a hot list if 90% of them are given that honour? They might as well call it the "Whats new for 2014" edition.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Yes the Hot List is a joke and has been for a long time.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I don't know what the Hotlist adds, I find that there are certain online reviews that are must reads for latest club information and that the hotlist should be ignored.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    It is nothing more than an advertizing springboard for the companies that spend money with GD.

Hell, Dick's Sorting Goods is the " Official Golf Digest Hot List Retailer " !!! Damm, I wish there was a Dick's in Ottawa !!

Although, there is something in particular worth pointing out in this year's Hot List as with last year's edition. This small company has once again defied the odds. Last season, this company, who by the way, does not advertize in Golf Digest because it just not whitin their budget, decided to submit one of their new products as the same thing they did last season. This company also had a product that made the Hot List about 7 years ago, and there might have been one other.

These product submissions were so good, they just had to include them on the Hot List based on shear performance.

Seven years or so ago, it was the 949 MC fairway wood with the industry's first High COR fairway wood face design

Last year, they introduced a shallower faced version, the 929 HS with a bendable hosel for lie/face angle adjustments ( Notice that I did not mention loft adjustment, because it is impossible to adjust the loft on a wood !! ).

This year's winner is the new 771 CSI ( Carbon Steel Iron ) with a variable face thickness, 0.830 COR value on a 1020 carbon steel body to allow for up to 4 deg. of loft lie adjusment in either direction.

The name of the company, TWGT Tom Wishon Golf Technology.

Wishon is not allowed to use the Hot List logo badge or advertise anywhere without paying a rather large fee ( for a small company) to Golf Digest.

In most cases, money talks, but in Wishon's case, the product does talking.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    How is the Hot List nothing more than an 'advertising springboard' when it rates to OEM companies, but a validation when it rates Wishon? And Wishon definitely has the Hot List badge on their website.

http://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-771csi/

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    How is the Hot List nothing more than an 'advertising springboard' when it rates to OEM companies, but a validation when it rates Wishon? And Wishon definitely has the Hot List badge on their website.

http://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-771csi/
    Go to the TWGT forum and in the design section, look for the post that refers to the hot list. You will be well informed on how the game is actually played after reading it. You will see my point a lot more clear.

As for the badge, sorry, that is not the official Golf Digest Hot List logo.

Thread Information