CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The MAsters

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

The MAsters

Here we go again. No more golf today.

ALERT: Play suspended for the day; Round 2 will resume at 8 a.m. ET.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Here we go again. No more golf today.
    Nuts! But the weather forecast is better for the weekend. Although we all know how accurate weather forecasts are.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So much for 25% of the HD golf coverage for 2005.

Putter Synchro is on a distinguished road
    am i tuning to the wrong chennel (golf channel.)???

i know the real heat will be coming from the final round but so far all golf channel has to show is hrs of analysis with almost no actual broadcast of the game. and they repeat this talking in the studio every 3 hrs or so... with whole bunch of fillers like past memories and footages. the rain has much to do with it but this does not prevent them from showing us more interesting other than the live coverage of VJ-phil spike story for gazillian times and all the verbal updates.

they made it a big deal out of covering the Masters but i only see updates and pretty computer graphic and music.

sorry, just need to vent...

and i acutally got out a lot more from the recorded tournement fom TSN.
    p.s. i am HD-TV-less but still..
    Last edited by Synchro; 04-09-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Live Round 3 coverage started at 3:30 on CBS in full HD glory.

The final groups tee off after 5PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Lucky break for Tiger not having to play that muddy ball on the 10th hole.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Here is a question: If somebody bought a 2nd round badge/pass for the Masters, were they able to get into the gates today and watch the end of the second round and part of the third round? Or does it work by days, meaning, you buy a pass for Friday and you can only get through the gates on Friday?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Miracle
    It should be an awesome finish Tiger has jumped into the lead at -13.....he's 2 ahead of DiMarco

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Sure is a tight leaderboard.
    Will be interesting to see who's on top later today.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I predict a VERY boring finish. Looks like another Tiger runaway. I'm NOT looking forward to listening to Jim Nantz all afternoon.

I sorta of agree with mjf, I don't want a runaway Sunday finish by anyone......come on DRAMA!
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    The thing is, I don't think there's anyone on the leaderboard who can catch Tiger. Phil and Vijay are too far back. All that's left is Bjorn and Dimarco. I think DiMarco's done... especially now that he's going to be paired with Tiger. Bjorn might be the best chance of a 'showdown'.

If it's going to be interesting, Tiger's probably going to have to make a double or two. The way he's playing, I don't see that happening. He really held things together well on the first day and I don't think he's really missed a shot since then.

MJF

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Uhm.... Tiger's getting ready for Nantz?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27

Uhm.... Tiger's getting ready for Nantz?

Dan

Where is that picture from? That’s funny!!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Miracle
    Bring on the drama here comes DiMarco

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Looks like Tiger might be loosing it. Oh no, the stars and the planets must not be alligned properly anymore.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by mberube

Where is that picture from? That’s funny!!!!
    Was from PGAtour.com... Was Tiger reacting to a missed putt... All the other guys didn't have pics like that when they missed. They all looked like professionals...

Must say, I had a lot of respect for Tiger's ability today, but he got lucky on that chip shot that bent 90 degrees. No WAY he expected it to go it, and you could tell by his reaction. DiMarco had far too many chances to be pleased with his performance, although I respected his comments afterwards.

Phil had one moment where you could tell he had just decided to "fun it out" the rest of the way. He was playing okay, but lacked finish. Not gonna reel Tiger in, no matter how many chances he gave away.

Tiger was very good this Masters, and I say that as a "hater". I think the last round was more a question of nobody else having the game to catch him. Guys who traditionally are capable of 6 stroke swings need to be firing on all cylinders, and Phil, Vijay, Weir and Dimarco just didn't get it done.

Hat(e)'s off to Tiger.

Dan

Lob Wedge PriorGuy is on a distinguished road

Am I missing something?

Was it just me or did CBS forget to show Mike Weir the 2003 Master's champ finish up on 18? Anyway I know it's maybe a moot point but if that's the case it shows poor coverage for sure.....

Sooooo....what did I miss today? Just kidding, talk about a possible boring afternoon of golf that turned into a GREAT 4th round finish! That was one of the greatest shots ever in golf in my (not love, not dislike, not hate) opinion Great MASTER'S!
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i think this was the best masters i have seen in quite some time. I know last year was great, but this was a year when you just expected Tiger to run away with it and DiMarco held strong with him and challenged him. I am not a huge fan of DiMarco, but he showed me a lot today about how tough he is.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    i think this was the best masters i have seen in quite some time. I know last year was great, but this was a year when you just expected Tiger to run away with it and DiMarco held strong with him and challenged him. I am not a huge fan of DiMarco, but he showed me a lot today about how tough he is.
    I kind of agree with you, but would suggest that maybe a lot of people also expected Tiger to finally have a meltdown in a position of strength. If Di Marco had been able to putt, it's hit jacket. Tiger did everything to give it away, but nobody else was able to make a run.

I know it sounds like I'm again dissing Tiger, but he didn't play all that well overall. He played DAMN good when it counted though. And caught the best break I've ever seen in the Masters on that chipper on the par 5. Thought he had it then, but he managed to make it interesting!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I kind of agree with you, but would suggest that maybe a lot of people also expected Tiger to finally have a meltdown in a position of strength. If Di Marco had been able to putt, it's hit jacket. Tiger did everything to give it away, but nobody else was able to make a run.

I know it sounds like I'm again dissing Tiger, but he didn't play all that well overall. He played DAMN good when it counted though. And caught the best break I've ever seen in the Masters on that chipper on the par 5. Thought he had it then, but he managed to make it interesting!

Dan
    I agree with you Dan. Tiger did not play well in the 4th round. He did what he needed to do to win. Although I strongly believe that if Di Marco started to capitalise on his chances, Tiger would of stepped it up a notch. Woods was in cruse control cause Chris was not really threatening his position until the last 3 holes. Patience is the game Tiger excels. Granted it almost caught up to him in the end but the clutch putt on the 73rd hole nailed the coffin.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PriorGuy
    Was it just me or did CBS forget to show Mike Weir the 2003 Master's champ finish up on 18? Anyway I know it's maybe a moot point but if that's the case it shows poor coverage for sure.....
    To show all of the shots of Woods and DiMarco, the only two contenders, is understandable, and the drama they produced was exciting, but to neglect showing the rest of the field, except for an occasional shot, is inexcusable. To be forced to watch the two walk the golf course, take 37 sips of water, spit and sit on a tee waiting for the group ahead to clear, seriously took away from the normally superb broadcast that CBS gives us. Even whe Immelman made his ace on 16, instead of immediately switching to the replay, they told us what happened, and then we saw all of DiMarco and Woods on 15, them walking around again, and then finally, we saw the replay. How dramitic!!

Once thought that Curtis Strange and Rob Black were the worst colour commentators anywhere, however, Lanny Wadkins makes Strange and Black look like Walter Cronkite. How about, "He missed the putt because it wasn't on line or he misread it," or "On this putt, speed is not important," Unless, of course the ball ends up short of the hole.

CBS's saving grace was the remarkable tenacity of DiMarco in hanging in there making the outcome close and interesting, the lucky shot(low percentage) of Woods on 16, and the brilliance of Wood's shotmaking on the playoff hole, however, most of the rest of the telecast was a bore. At least they had the presence to shut up on 18 and just let us watch Tiger make his putt. Bring back Frank Chirkinian.

Andru
    BC_MIST

I agree Lanny Wadkins is an idiot. Believe it or not I miss Kenny Venturi. I have his last Masters broadcast on tape and he really knows that course. He should learn how to speak english.

I disagree with the coverage. No offense to the rest of the field but I didn't really care what was happenig on the course. It was match play between Woods and Dimarco. The rest of the field were playing for $$$. I have no interest.

The shot on 16 was just incredible. Call it lucky? ( He didn't shank it off the grand stands, that's luck) He played a great pitch up the slope, Stopped it with spin, and it rolled back towards the hole. Did he expect it to go in? Probably not, but he executed a fantastic shot at the Masters with Dimarco breathing down his back. If he had skulled it or chili dipped it. It's not going near the hole. Probably one fo the best of all time. Gene Sarazen's 2 on 15 is probably the best.
    Last edited by Andru; 04-11-2005 at 10:48 AM.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I disagree with the coverage. No offense to the rest of the field but I didn't really care what was happenig on the course. It was match play between Woods and Dimarco. The rest of the field were playing for $$$. I have no interest.

The shot on 16 was just incredible. Call it lucky? ( He didn't shank it off the grand stands, that's luck) He played a great pitch up the slope, Stopped it with spin, and it rolled back towards the hole. Did he expect it to go in? Probably not, but he executed a fantastic shot at the Masters with Dimarco breathing down his back. If he had skulled it or chili dipped it. It's not going near the hole. Probably one fo the best of all time. Sam Snead's 2 on 15 is probably the best.
    Come on. IF you're going to show Woods or Dimarco SITTING AROUND, you might as well show other golfers. AT LEAST SHOW PAST CHAMPIONS putting out on 18...they skipped Weir entirely.

And even Woods said, post game, that 16 was lucky. He said he saw Dimarco threatening a birdy and knew he had to get it close for par, and that sinking it was lucky, or the better phrase that BC MIST used: low percentage.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Come on. IF you're going to show Woods or Dimarco SITTING AROUND, you might as well show other golfers. AT LEAST SHOW PAST CHAMPIONS putting out on 18...they skipped Weir entirely.

And even Woods said, post game, that 16 was lucky. He said he saw Dimarco threatening a birdy and knew he had to get it close for par, and that sinking it was lucky, or the better phrase that BC MIST used: low percentage.

Luck would be aiming somewhere else and having the ball bounce back into the cup. I am not a Tiget fan, at all, but he looked at the shot from every angle and knew where he had to hit it. That he did and the great birdie was the reward. Now if its luck that made it go into the hole, then what shot isn't luck in golf.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Luck would be aiming somewhere else and having the ball bounce back into the cup. I am not a Tiget fan, at all, but he looked at the shot from every angle and knew where he had to hit it. That he did and the great birdie was the reward. Now if its luck that made it go into the hole, then what shot isn't luck in golf.
    Denny
    Well said!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant

Watching golfers hit meaningless shots is of no interest to me. If you'd like to see it go stand on the 18th green at Stonebridge on Sunday afternoon. Weir made an awesome run on Sunday but the story was Dimarco and Woods. CBS is showing the story that mattered. Woods, Nicklaus, Dimarco, and some good shots at augusta. As nice as that ace was on 16. Wood's chip was the highlight. The ball sat on the lip for a full second. Drama.

You can call it lucky, low percentage, unlikely, miraculous, The point is this. If he doesn't hit it as perfect as he does. It's not going in. Given Dimarco is 20 feet uphill for birdie, speed of the greens, The second cut collar almost directly behind the ball and the fact that this is for the green jacket, THAT, was a terrific shot. 90% of the golfers on the PGA tour would have thrown up on themselves and chunked it or skulled it just enough to make a bogey or a good par.

As Gary Player said. "The more I practice the luckier I get".

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I think the biggest winner(besides Tiger) yesterday is NIKE golf. The close up on the ball slowing falling into the hole and seeing the NIKE swoosh...this shot will be re-played over and over again. NIKE can't buy publicity like it. Is Tiger's contract with NIKE expiring soon? It would be good timing...

Great finish to a great tournament. Fore!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    I think the biggest winner(besides Tiger) yesterday is NIKE golf. The close up on the ball slowing falling into the hole and seeing the NIKE swoosh...this shot will be re-played over and over again. NIKE can't buy publicity like it. Is Tiger's contract with NIKE expiring soon? It would be good timing...
    I thought the same thing yesterday. Nike administration inevitably had a huge smile on their faces!

Thread Information