CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road

Push Drawers - Advice/Feelings

Made this post on GolfWrx but figured I'd up it here also to see what people thought.

For those of you who hit a push draw:

Do you in a sense 'give up control' of your start direction? By that I mean, align yourselves square to your target and swing on that line without worry about the fact that the ball will start out to the right?

It's hard for me to explain what I'm getting at but I'll do my best. I'm aware of the correct ball flight laws and the conditions required to hit this shot. However, in playing, I feel like I instinctively align myself right of the target and try to start the ball on the line of my swingpath. As a result a typical miss will be a 'push' relative to the target but in reality I've probably hit a striaght shot, or it might fall even more right as the face is open (agian knowing to hit a push draw the face must be open to the target). Hopefully this makes sense. I feel like my instincts are what's getting in my way when it comes to successfully hitting this shot.

So back to my first point, if I aligned square (not right like I end up doing altough its simply instinctive), I essentially give up that natural feeling of wanting to hook or sling the ball. So in order to have it push right and come back to my aim will it almost feel like im shanking it?

It's so difficult to describe, hopefully someone can shed some light on what they feel. I just watch guys who it it like Mahan it it seems like he swings freely based on his alignment and almost doesn't worry that for an instant on impact it feels like he's lost the shot right because he knows it will be coming back to where hes set up.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    This is the problem with the "new laws"; they make people think they have to do something different. Aim the face right of the target, say 10 yards (I don't know the calculations off the top of my head, but for argument's sake) then your path 15 yards right. It doesn't matter where the feet are aimed. Ideally they are a bit closed to the target because it's dangerous to get the path more than a few degrees in to out.

Thread Information