CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood Dan_0 is on a distinguished road Dan_0's Avatar

Graphite iron shafts? Dare I do it?

I've been eyeing up a set of irons on eBay and they come equipped with aldila vs proto 85 x-flex shafts. I've never played graphite iron shafts and just wondering if anyone has tried these and what they might compare to. They were a PGA professionals clubs so I figure they cant be that bad. I'm about a seven handicap, swing a driver about 95-100 mph if that matters. Thanks.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The biggest change is the total weight. I tried a set of graphite a couple of years ago and they were great, except I had a hard time adjusting to the very light weight of the clubs.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Those vs protos don't get great reviews. I've gone with aerotech steel fibres this year, 110x in 3-pw and 125s in the wedges, love em.

Look at you Math Kuchar.

Thanks guys, maybe I will take a pass on these.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree with JVincent, I switched to graphite prior to last season and the weight difference was quite an adjustment. The type of shaft is important too, I put in some Xcaliber iron shafts and they feel awesome.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Just to give you a different point of view , I started playing with a set of Mizuno's with a stock graphite shaft in the lower irons (5,6,7) and found them to have a great feel and very easy to hit , also very consistent . I did lose a little in length but only a few yards per club .
    Food for thought.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

If you are interested in moving to heavier graphite there will be a 105g shaft from Xcaliber and a 105g shaft from Wishon available in about the March time frame. I'm very interested in both of these.

The good news is that they will both be a lot cheaper than the Aerotech shafts.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    JV, that is good news for me, I may just have to re-shaft once again with the new Xcalilbers as that weight shaft works perfectly with my lowly swing speed.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

You lost length when you switched to graphite, it is usually the other way around
    Lefty Lucas

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I'd give them a go. Graphite still hasn't shook it's old rep but they work well for a lot of players.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    You lost length when you switched to graphite, it is usually the other way around
    Just by about 3-5 yards , but they are a reg flex stock shaft and a bit soft for me , I'll be putting something a little stouter in them before seasons start , which looks like it will be mid June judging by this sy weather
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I used to play graphite in most of my irons a few years back and got away from them as they did not provide me with enough feedback.
    Two years ago,I had a set of Bobby Jones wedges with Xcaliber shafts in them and was all over the place. Playing everyday, I was able to compare with steel shafted wedges and was more precise with the steel shafts. This is just my opinion and not based on any scientific research.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Driver speed of 95-100 mph and X-flex shafts are not a good match. The clubs belonged to a PGA pro. PGA tour pro or PGA club pro? BTW Matt Kuchar uses Aerotech SteelFibers.
    He who hits last, walks alone

So I went ahead and got the clubs, took them to the indoor range today and loved them, I also switched back from a more game improvement to a blade so that's part of it I'm sure, but I did find the whole set up feels great. I like the lighter shafts as well, i feel like I can swing nice and easy. Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I can stick with this one set for a whole year now

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy the new sticks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH View Post
    Driver speed of 95-100 mph and X-flex shafts are not a good match. The clubs belonged to a PGA pro. PGA tour pro or PGA club pro? BTW Matt Kuchar uses Aerotech SteelFibers.
    There are apparently about 15 Tour players using the Aerotech Steel Fibers, including Kuchar, Snedeker, Clark, Weekly... and they are now appearing on the LPGA Tour, as well. Noticed Anna Nordquist with them on the weekend telecast. Have used them for 2 full seasons and love them, and am currently assembling a backup set of irons with the same shafts. Expensive, yes, but.

Thread Information