CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood golferinmd is on a distinguished road

Getting close to a decision

Sorry for all the questions...I know that GC2 doesn't give club head data. I would like to use a simulator to play rounds of golf and work on my swing. I usually hit golf balls at the driving range and work my swing via ball flight at the range.

It seems to me that the GC2 is easy to setup and if it works to give me good ball flight and putting it maybe the simulator for me

Picking a simulator is a lot harder than I thought but thanks for the help

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    You can putt with it in terms of using it as a simulator for a round of golf, but don't expect the putting to be 100% accurate. I can draw a line on my mat and roll a putt down the line. Lets say I do it five times, i'll have five readings which will be +/- 2 degrees. You are going to miss some 10' or greater putts with this inaccuracy.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I think the simulators are not great for working on short game or putting because so much of that is feel in real life. They can help you with getting the ball started on line (obviously very important) but the rest is for gaming only, not really for working on your game (in my opinion - again because you don't get that real life feel for swing speed vs. distance).

If you are a student of the game and have had numerous lessons, you can probably figure out the likely cause of your ball flight without club data. But not all of it. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the issue is a club path or face angle issue. I often have a problem with a pull + draw . Sometimes it happens because I come over the top and have a normal face rotation, and other times it's because I come from the inside but with too much face rotation through the hitting area. It's very difficult to tell from the ball flight which is the reason.

If you can have some kind of add-on to the GC2 to get that data, I would do it. I think it's invaluable data for someone trying to improve their swing. If you are a very low handicapper (scratch?), then the spin data might be more valuable because you might not have the same path/face issues and controlling spin is much more important. For me (~3-5 handicap depending on time of year), it's all about path and face angle. When those are messed up, I'm shooting low 80s. When they are grooved, I am shooting low 70s. I usually don't have an angle of attack problem - maybe that would become more apparent with the spin data generated from the GC2? Protee doesn't give you feedback on that beyond the launch angle that it captures.

Thank you for the responses. I only want to putt for simulated rounds of golf. I was a bit surprised that chipping and pitching wouldn't be good...is that true?

When you step up to a 20 or 30 foot chip in real life, you walk the line, eyeball the distance, assess the break and elevation change, then hit the ball based on a feeling for the shot. You don't stand there and think "this is a 30 foot chip, how hard should I swing to make it go 30 feet". Same dynamic for putting. That's essentially what you have to do with any simulator. You're hitting to a number, not to feel like you do in real life. That's the issue.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    IMHO, with the caveats Libbing states above, I think the GC2 performs quite well as a simulator. Short of having real bunkers, rough, uneven lies, etc it allows you to work on your swing and get valuable feedback for those times when you can't play outside. The putting and chipping simulation is actually better than I anticipated when I first got mine.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libbing View Post
    I think the simulators are not great for working on short game or putting because so much of that is feel in real life. They can help you with getting the ball started on line (obviously very important) but the rest is for gaming only, not really for working on your game (in my opinion - again because you don't get that real life feel for swing speed vs. distance).

If you are a student of the game and have had numerous lessons, you can probably figure out the likely cause of your ball flight without club data. But not all of it. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the issue is a club path or face angle issue. I often have a problem with a pull + draw . Sometimes it happens because I come over the top and have a normal face rotation, and other times it's because I come from the inside but with too much face rotation through the hitting area. It's very difficult to tell from the ball flight which is the reason.

If you can have some kind of add-on to the GC2 to get that data, I would do it. I think it's invaluable data for someone trying to improve their swing. If you are a very low handicapper (scratch?), then the spin data might be more valuable because you might not have the same path/face issues and controlling spin is much more important. For me (~3-5 handicap depending on time of year), it's all about path and face angle. When those are messed up, I'm shooting low 80s. When they are grooved, I am shooting low 70s. I usually don't have an angle of attack problem - maybe that would become more apparent with the spin data generated from the GC2? Protee doesn't give you feedback on that beyond the launch angle that it captures.
    I tend to agree. I play to a 3-5 cap as well and am a feel player. I like club data but knowing spin is valuable. Putting and chipping is all feel and certainly the ProTee will do a reasonable job in that category.

Thanks for the feedback. I work on my swing at the range by ball flight. I am a once piece takeaway golfer and tempo is my thing. Grooving a swing and tempo takes time and seeing the ball flight on the screen will give me a good feel of how the golf swing is and to tweak... I guess ball data will give that to me on the simulator.

Chipping and putting to me are smaller one piece swings and glad to see GC2 works. I am leaning towards GC2

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I think my chipping game has improved bigtime with the GC2. Just the repeated motion of hitting solid strokes with my wedges has helped, the GC2 will definitely pick up 20-30 yard carry chips. My putting has also improved, but only because again I am hitting repeated puts and just want to get used to putting balls down a line. I actually have a line taped to my hitting mat and my goal on every put is to roll the ball down the line. This is how I practice. If they go in on the simulator, it's a bonus. But if I hit my makeshift "cup" on my mat, I am pleased.

These things are great for tempo management. I found playing in the simulator games is critical - like in real life, the trick is keeping the tempo in check when faced with a real round rather than no-downside shots on the range. Some guys have had to mentally adapt to hitting full-on when indoors (they slow down too much). But you'll figure that out. If you have a very consistent swing path (don't fight too inside or outside) then the spin data could be more important for you. To your point, the putting advantage can be that repeated attempt to get an absolute straight putt even if you don't get distance exactly right vs. real life. I've only had my system for a couple of years, but just don't convert it to short game in real life - the spin dynamics against the real greens, the lie of the ball, the grain of the grass, etc. just seem to be too different. But like the full swing, it can help with the tempo of the shorter shots

Good info. Seems like every simulator has its issues but for portability, accuracy and easy of use the GC2 looks like a winner. Are there anything coming out in 2014 that will change my mind on the GC2?

The portable net and GC2 combo should be fun.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golferinmd View Post
    Good info. Seems like every simulator has its issues but for portability, accuracy and easy of use the GC2 looks like a winner. Are there anything coming out in 2014 that will change my mind on the GC2?

The portable net and GC2 combo should be fun.
    I put my order for the GC2 on hold based on rumours of a new analyser due out soon. I hope the wait is worth it 'cause our dollar has gone south and the GC2 will now cost me a bucket load more.
    Any idea if the "new" unit will be a floor sensor based, camera or doppler as my garage setup needs to be portable.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I put my order for the GC2 on hold based on rumours of a new analyser due out soon. I hope the wait is worth it 'cause our dollar has gone south and the GC2 will now cost me a bucket load more.
    Any idea if the "new" unit will be a floor sensor based, camera or doppler as my garage setup needs to be portable.
    You won't regret it. It's proven hardware that's made by a company that isn't going to be going anywhere. Are you going to buy their software or protee software?

If I go the GC2 option I'm very tempted to try the protee software. Although I'm a bit worried about Foresight blocking that option with a possible firmware upgrade.

Yea there is always a risk, but you could just not update it. I got the ProTee software for now, but next year I may upgrade if something reasonable comes along. The ProTee software is great tho, and the online tournaments we have are great fun.

Putter rcpanek is on a distinguished road

New Sim

I'm with you. Very curious about this new sim everyone is talking about. Just wondering what the timeline is for it's reveal. I'm building a new home in the next year and want to put in a golf sim. Hopefully it's worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpanek View Post
    I'm with you. Very curious about this new sim everyone is talking about. Just wondering what the timeline is for it's reveal. I'm building a new home in the next year and want to put in a golf sim. Hopefully it's worth waiting for.
    All rumours sound like it will be a good thing, similar concept to the GC2 but no guarantee. Delivery anticipated first quarter of this year. Fingers crossed it's the game changer we all hope it will be.
    Last edited by Crusty; 02-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.

If I go the GC2 option I'm very tempted to try the protee software. Although I'm a bit worried about Foresight blocking that option with a possible firmware upgrade.
    Haven't looked at the motivation here for GC2 / why they wouldn't like the Protee link. Is the issue that the Protee add-on pack comes with all the courses, so GC2 would lose revenue from not getting people to buy more courses? In general, seems like people would like the GC2 more by being able to connect into the Protee network, so there would need to be some offsetting revenue downside to cut it off.

I agree.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    The motivation for not liking the Protee link is losing the 900% margin they have on their Sim software.

Quote Originally Posted by northgolf View Post
    The motivation for not liking the Protee link is losing the 900% margin they have on their Sim software.
    Which is why everyone who does decide to get protee should spread the word and post on forums. Maybe they will get the point.

Yeah, wasn't sure if that protee link works only online or if that gets used offline as well

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    Which is why everyone who does decide to get protee should spread the word and post on forums. Maybe they will get the point.
    which point? For all we know it might be the software margin that allows the sell of the hardware at the current price level.

That's over reaching, Fran. Next thing you'll tell me cell phone companies don't over charge. They charge that much because that can. Lots of companies do it.

That's over reaching, Fran. Next thing you'll tell me cell phone companies don't over charge. They charge that much because that can. Lots of companies do it.

Yes there are always examples to be found that do charge too much but
    a) here in Europe it was normal to get your mobile phone (hardware) very cheap (sold with a lose) and then pay thru the nose for the services
    b) normally printers are the same, hardware sold with a lose, inkt with a large profit
    c) xbox, sold while making a 2 billion lose on it per year! However the software is paying for it all
    d) PS4 only 18usd margin! all profit sits in the software
    e) etc...

So no it's not "over reaching"

That may be true frans, but console games are still affordable. Are they overpriced? Probably. You pay thousands with GC2 software only to get 1 course that was RC software to begin with. This is the problem. Now with the new software, at least they made it themselves. We'll see how that goes. I understand your overall point with the hardware margins and I'm sure there is some truth to this. And let me clarify that the hardware they make is awesome. I am very happy with my GC2 hardware. I'm also very happy with my Protee software which is also RC and has 100 courses for a fraction of the price.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I would still consider Red Chain pricing ridiculous for what you get. Video games with 10x the graphics cost >>10x less.

All supply and demand.

That may be true frans, but console games are still affordable. Are they overpriced? Probably. You pay thousands with GC2 software only to get 1 course that was RC software to begin with. This is the problem.

Like Goatbarn states : all supply and demand. console games like Grand Theft auto 5
    Developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, the critically acclaimed open world action-adventure video game sold 11.21 million units in its first 24 hours, and generated revenue of $815.7 million (£511.8 million), going on to reach $1 billion (£624.45 million) in sales after just three days on September 20 2013.
    If GC2 would sell 11.21 million units in 24 hours I'm 100% sure that the price would come down to a lower then low

Thread Information