100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood golferinmd is on a distinguished road

GC2 can you putt with it?

I am looking and can't find the answer..I am getting close to a decision and can't find if you can do short game and putting with GC2? Is it good? I am sorry if this has been asked before...please forgive me!

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    I believe you can putt quite easily, see attached link as an example.
    Looks like this guy has his set up to gimme if it's within a certain distance from the hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_TiWLO-Sc

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    Yes, you can putt with it. I've heard that the Protee is easier to putt on (I have a pro tee, and with the putting sensor it is very easy). I've putted on both but can't conclude on quality of putting with the GC2 because I just wasn't used to the speed setting, so it wasn't fair to compare. But it seemed good enough.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I believe the video is of CPA ans suspect you could PM him to get his thoughts.

Who is CPA? Sorry for the dumb question. I think GC2 will work for me in putting, chipping and swings... I like the portable aspect and the net return option (portable net) will keep the wife happy when I have to break it down

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Yes you can putt on it and even short putts of a foot or so. In the specs they talk about the Azimuth being +/- 1.0 deg. What that is basically is that shots are within 1 deg for path left or right. For putting you do need to have the GC2 lined up as close as you can for putting. If you draw a line to putt straight on and then line the GC2 with that you can do test putts and watch to see if the ball stays on that line. If it does and the GC2 is not reading within a degree of 0.0 than you would tweak the angle of the GC2. I do think that it may be harder to putt straight on the GC2 just due to that 1.0 deg that it could go either way, but it's not bad. In practice I have sunk several 5 to 6 foot putts in a row and when I missed it was clear that I missed my line on the real putt.

For the most part I have hit a straight putt and seen the readout showed .5 to .9 off line and the putt was still fairly straight. It is possible to sink long putts when the lie is flat and you hit a straight putt and your weight is right. Reading greens in a sim is what takes a bit of practice but is somthing you can get good at.

I do think a GC2 can help make you a better putter, as well, the short game is also real. Once you set up the GC2 spec's as to distance to your screen, you can hit a ball that lands at the bottom of the screen and then see the ball on the ground rolling from that point so a 8 to 10 foot chip is a 8 to 10 foot chip. What is hard is knowing how hard to hit a 30 ft chip or judging distance with weight.

I am not sure the exact distance that the putt needs to travel before the GC2 has the info it needs to simulate the putt from there on, but for instance, if your mat is not level and you need to start a putt 1 inch to the left of your mark on the pad to have the ball roll over that mark, the GC2 may already have read the line as the putt was moving left so it may show a putt movin a bit left of target so having a level area to putt from is important. Regular shots it does not matter as they are in the air already and the 1 deg does not matter much.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Sorry CPA is a member of this forum who uses the CG2 and has given a lot of helpfull advice to many on here on a great number of different simulator aspects.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    A user playing on the Protee online game is having an issue getting the alignment exactly correct; I've been assuming he will get it eventually; he can nail the long putts but really struggles with the short ones (he says he hits it on the exact line but that it reads as being off and then he misses it on the simulator). Sounds like tweaking needed? or maybe just a margin of error that can't be fixed? wouldn't notice it for full or long shots but slow moving short putts are a problem?

Excellent info....sounds like the GC2 is going to be fun

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Enjoy. Good luck.

Thread Information