100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geronamo View Post
    I'd consider making a comeback to the OG Ryder Cup team, but as others have mentioned I feel the whole RCGA handicap issue has ruined the intrigue in the event for me. I am now a recreational player, playing less and less over the years. I think I may have played less than 15 rounds last year. I keep my cap up to date on this site but can't see myself caring enough to get an official cap. This tournament used to be about getting the two forums together to have some fun....winning the trophy was an added bonus but definitely an after thought. As a 7 or 8 handicap I also don't have much interest in playing off a scratch cap and getting my ass kicked....letting down the team in an event that has seamingly turned to be more of a competitive/serious tournament.

Hoping you can get enough guys to keep this event rolling as it is, or at least was, one of the highlights of the golf year for many involved.
    Bang on!

I am in the same boat, but i am still going to play as i have grown to love the comraderie and fun at the event. So this year I am going as a scratch golfer, even though my HI is over 15. If some folks here want to give the other team three free points, thats on them not me. I play the way i do and every match i have been involved in over the last four years has never been settled before the 16th tee. My record is 5-5-2, so i know the caps were working fine.

See those of you that are coming in Belleville, looking forward to it.
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post
    Bang on!

I am in the same boat, but i am still going to play as i have grown to love the comraderie and fun at the event. So this year I am going as a scratch golfer, even though my HI is over 15. If some folks here want to give the other team three free points, thats on them not me. I play the way i do and every match i have been involved in over the last four years has never been settled before the 16th tee. My record is 5-5-2, so i know the caps were working fine.

See those of you that are coming in Belleville, looking forward to it.
    Corey, all you need to do is register with either Golf Quebec or GAO as a public player, and you can use last year's scores to get an official number. That way you won't have to give up strokes.

It only takes as few as 5 scores to generate a handicap factor.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Cory, I am contemplating doing the same. I don't think I'll even get 5 rounds in before the RC so I was just going to wing it.

As I have already voiced my displeasure with where the event has headed, this will be the last time I participate. I am purely going to just have fun. The outcomes of my matches is irrelevent to me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Great attitudes when you are part of a TEAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Cory, I am contemplating doing the same. I don't think I'll even get 5 rounds in before the RC so I was just going to wing it.

As I have already voiced my displeasure with where the event has headed, this will be the last time I participate. I am purely going to just have fun. The outcomes of my matches is irrelevent to me.
    Don't get me wrong, i have complied with the rules every year and my results speak for themselves, i am just flat out refusing to go out of my way to get a CPGA card which neither validates or invalidates my Hi as compared to the one i track here at OG. I am going to play the best i can and hey, you never know, my opponents may have bad rounds and i may still get a point or two (or three). I do care how well i play, i just dont see the necessity to pay even more money out for an official card that i will never use use except at this "fun" event.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I agree.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I know you're a buddy of mine but not sure what right you have to criticize my "attitude".

I am playing by the rules set out, will have a good time and enjoy the get together. Although it is a team event, I will be spending $400-500 on the weekend, if this is how I feel I will most enjoy my time, I'm not sure what gives others the right to question my choices?

I plan to put forth my best effort, but I am going to enjoy the event as it was intended to be. To enjoy the company and take a few swings at the ball, regardless of the results.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i have complied with the rules every year and my results speak for themselves, i am just flat out refusing to go out of my way to get a CPGA card which neither validates or invalidates my Hi as compared to the one i track here at OG. I am going to play the best i can and hey, you never know, my opponents may have bad rounds and i may still get a point or two (or three). I do care how well i play, i just dont see the necessity to pay even more money out for an official card that i will never use use except at this "fun" event.
    I agree.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I know you're a buddy of mine but not sure what right you have to criticize my "attitude".

I am playing by the rules set out, will have a good time and enjoy the get together. Although it is a team event, I will be spending $400-500 on the weekend, if this is how I feel I will most enjoy my time, I'm not sure what gives others the right to question my choices?

I plan to put forth my best effort, but I am going to enjoy the event as it was intended to be. To enjoy the company and take a few swings at the ball, regardless of the results.
    thing is Geoff, it's not about you, its about the team. All the other guys ( minus 1) are getting on board with the cap thing and perhaps want to have a shot at winning without a couple of guys giving up their points and making it that much tougher.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Call it criticizing, call it whatever you want it's just an outsider that has played in this event looking in and feeling bad for Rich trying to hold this thing together and for your teammates as well who want to have fun but would like to have a reasonable chance at winning on top of that.

Unil a sponsor picks up the tab for the weekend its up to each and every individual to determine how they get the most enjoyment for what they spend on this weekend, team event or not.

Cory and I are both playing within the rules set out, I don't see how this is an issue.

I am going to see some TGN buddies for what is most likely the last time. Winning individually or collectively as a team isn't my top priority. I know I won't have another opportunity to see all the guys at once like this again, so I plan to just have as much fun as possible.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 04-24-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Looks like 6 points in the bank for TGN
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I have never played in this event, it seems to be going downhill fast. I hope the OG Team can keep it all together between now and the tournament. Best of luck boys, but this is getting ridiculous.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Just a few facts for those who think i am cheating the team out of some points...

1. I will play to the best of my ability, and may get some points for doing so.

2. Golf is a game of honour, i call penalties on myself if i make them and i enter my scores truthfully, having a RCGA card does not change what i put in as my scores nor will it change my HI. My cap has never been challenged ever during the playing of this event, nor can i remember my fellow competitor ever being a horrible sandbagger. I WILL NOT ACCEPT MY HONOUR OR LEVEL OF HONESTY BEING CHALLENGED BY SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A BLOODY CLUE WHO I AM OR HOW I CONDUCT MYSELF ON OR OFF THE COURSE. PERIOD.

3. This forum has 12,410 registered users, and we are having difficulty fielding a team of 16, you might want to re-evaluate where you throw your darts here gentlemen. I have shown up every year and played my best, never been a problem and i always support the team.

Rant over, see you in Belleville for some fun and challenging Golf.
    Last edited by Coreythebody; 04-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Has anyone ever evaluated why the numbers have dwindled? Is it the cost of the entire weekend? Is it the direction that the event has taken? I don't know...Might be worth looking at. As mentioned above, with over 12k members on this site, and MANY good/great golfers, it's surprising that it is difficult to put together enough people to compete. This is the second year in a row that the Ottawa team has been short. I was asked to play last year by a fellow member, however, I was overseas for work so I could not attend.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Maybe I shouldn't comment here since I am not playing this year, but I have played 3 years, been co-captain twice and I have to say that I am 100% on board with Cory. Having an RCGA cap or OG cap will not change anything, if a player decides to enter 20 rounds in the 100's on OG, he can do the same on RCGA and show up with a 26 Handicap. Adding 30$ to an already expensive weekend seems like peanuts, but its 30$ more dollars and just adds to the difficulty of filling a roster! The 3 years I was involved in the event there was complaining from the other side about caps being unfair and every year they asked to change things up, the OG side refused and the event still went on. But I guess after losing 2 years straight, they complained even harder and got what they wanted. People seem to be quick to say that the OG side are Sandbaggers, but what if...and I do say what if... the issue is with Featherbaggers?

Last year we struggled to fill a 20 man roster, this year it was a struggle for 16 and there is still plenty of time for people to drop out with all "back-up" plans exhausted.

I hope with all my heart that OG comes out with guys playing scratch (Cory and Geoff) and still destroys TGN once and for all... that should then be the end of the whining about caps!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Call it criticizing, call it whatever you want it's just an outsider that has played in this event looking in and feeling bad for Rich trying to hold this thing together and for your teammates as well who want to have fun but would like to have a reasonable chance at winning on top of that.
    I appreciate what you are saying John, but I think BJ and Cory are still doing the right thing. Just because Ottawa won 2 years in a row, there didn't need to be a change in the cap system and honestly, I think they are pipe dreaming if they think that going to RCGA will change anything! Plus, agreeing with TGN to change to RCGA is downright insulting because it implies that OG had cheaters amongst them. Anyways, all i know is that the 2 years I helped out with the event, I negotiated not to change the cap system because I felt that our bunch was honest and fair players!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    One thing is clear. If you're forced to play at scratch when you actually have a much higher handicap, then more likely than not you will lose. Were that likelihood restricted to a singles match that would be one thing. But it isn't. It also means that in the two man team component, the partner will have to carry the team. I can't see much amusement in that, but then again, that's just me. It won't be much fun for the opponents either.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    6 more weeks, 6 more weeks, 6 more weeks...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I can hardly wait. So much fun ... and with one's clothes on, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    6 more weeks, 6 more weeks, 6 more weeks...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    and with one's clothes on, too.
    Well, some of us anyway. Depends on how Saturday night goes...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Rich you saying you'll need Depends on Saturday night.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Has anyone ever evaluated why the numbers have dwindled? Is it the cost of the entire weekend? Is it the direction that the event has taken? I don't know...Might be worth looking at. As mentioned above, with over 12k members on this site, and MANY good/great golfers, it's surprising that it is difficult to put together enough people to compete. This is the second year in a row that the Ottawa team has been short. I was asked to play last year by a fellow member, however, I was overseas for work so I could not attend.
    IMO people use this forum for the classified sections more than anything else these days . It was a great place for discussing all things golf back when I joined in 2006 , it seems to have lost a bit of that ,I'm not sure why .I know that when I organized this event for the 3 years , I just got tougher and tougher to put a team together , it is expensive , but it's quality golf and great fun . This event will run for years to come , I'll attend it whenever I can , this will be my 7th year , and I'll tell anyone who cares to listen , that this will be one of the best weekends of golf you'll have all season . Great guys , great course , great fun.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Rich you saying you'll need Depends on Saturday night.
    Quite possibly...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy...

Putter Gimmeabogey is on a distinguished road
    One thing is clear. If you're forced to play at scratch when you actually have a much higher handicap, then more likely than not you will lose. Were that likelihood restricted to a singles match that would be one thing. But it isn't. It also means that in the two man team component, the partner will have to carry the team. I can't see much amusement in that, but then again, that's just me. It won't be much fun for the opponents either.
    You are right at that TGN player is not going to enjoy having an opponent playing to scratch while he should be a 6 or 7. That's a huge difference not just a stroke or two which can be covered in one hole.

Putter Gimmeabogey is on a distinguished road
    If more drop out more of TGNers will have to switch just like Caper and I did. We will there for sure unless one of our houses burns down or something. We're both retired and nothing to do.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Change happens! You have to accept it. Players from teams of the past have joined clubs and are unable to play because of intersectional qualifying. Other factors in life also take over. More people wanted to play and we increased the # of players. Unfortunately, now we are on the decline. However, lets put an end to this discussion of RCGA cap. Going forward, it will continue to be mandatory. That's all there is to it. Play as a scratch and give up a stroke on #4 and take your licking without complaining. I understand both sides of the argument. It's a team competition and hopefully your teammates will pull through.

It's a great event and will continue to be because of the people participating in it.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

You're right Mike, one thing is clear..

Having an RCGA card will not change my cap at all, it does not make it more honest or more valid, and I am very unamused that some of you seem to believe that having a RCGA card changes anything. It only adds more cost to an already expensive weekend. I have no issue spending my money on something that gives me value back, but paying for a card that I will never use other than this "fun" tournament is beyond ridiculous. I can pretty much guarantee there will still be disagreements about so-and-so scoring well below his cap this year, and your precious cards will not change that.

As for my partner having to carry me...well Ralph is used to that lol...

i took the time last night to re-read this entire thread, and i know i am not the only person here taking issue with this, i just might happen to be the only one still standing my ground. I will be there and play at scratch if need be, and i fully accept this. If you want my FC to enjoy his round more and foster the spirit of competition, you will honour all caps as they have always been previously honoured here on OG. The ball is in the court of our Captains and i will respect their decisions, however i will not throw away my money for no reason.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    how about a poll to ask how many people would play this year if not for this ridiculous decision to make official caps mandatory?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

i don't think the cap thing is a dealbreaker for anyone this year, just more of an annoyance thinking it will resolve any cap issues. I would think more folks are concerned the fun is very diminished or gone. For those of us that have gone, as Will has stated numerous times, the enjoyment of the game is very much there and i haven't regretted attending yet...

Thread Information