100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

OG/TGN 2014 Ryder Cup Info

Hi Folks,

Firstly, this is not the official 2014 thread. This is just for basic info to give guys time to plan ahead.

1. Venue - Trillium Wood, Belleville

2. Dates - June 7 & 8 (with the usual "practice round" on the 6th)

3. Team - Most likely will be 16 per side this year, with possible expansion to 20 if numbers permit. Preference, as in years past, will be given to last year's players first, and then top up with other interested players as needed. A hard date will be set for confirmation of returning players.

4. Format - No changes. Saturday, 36 holes. 18 better ball and 18 alternate shot. Sunday, 18 singles.

5. Handicaps - Based on discussions with TGN, RCGA caps will most likely be mandatory starting this year for all players. (I'm going to say this is 90% certain at this point)

6. Team Shirts and Hats - TBD

7. Accommodations and Saturday dinner - TBD

8. Deposits - $100 per player. Non refundable if you no-show. Due date - TBD
    Last edited by LobWedge; 01-20-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Good stuff , it will be a blast , as always
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    AH YEAH BABY!!!

Can't Frickin wait !!

Team Kilts could be an option too! Just throwing that one out there....
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Rich, mandatory RCGA memberships may create problems. If any player is a member of a non-affiliated club, then that person cannot even obtain a public player card from the RCGA. We discussed this in another thread long ago, but it has to do with Golf Canada's policy to punish both the non-affiliated clubs and anyone who is a member of such a club.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Mike for a small fee they can join either the Golf Quebec or GAO public player program and have access to an official handicap.

Gerry, unless the GAO policy changed this past year, the GAO will not recognize your handicap as a Public Player, if you are also a member of a non-affiliated club. This was the situation that I faced when my club in Bradford was not a member of the GAO. Fortunately, last year they joined. Hopefully, they will do so again this year. If they don't and if the GAO policy is as it was, then I would not qualify for an "official" handicap card as a Public Player.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I know that all you have to do is sign up as not being a member of a club. I know people that did this to play in tournaments that were members of non affiliated clubs. If you aren't a member of a GC listed club then essentially you aren't a member of a club as far as I know.

The forms, if truthfully filled out, don't let you do this. If memory serves me correctly, one question is aimed at ferreting out whether you belong to a non-affiliate club. If that is no longer the case, then great.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I know that all you have to do is sign up as not being a member of a club. I know people that did this to play in tournaments that were members of non affiliated clubs. If you aren't a member of a GC listed club then essentially you aren't a member of a club as far as I know.

Mike a player from our club joined the public player program before we became part of GAO as he was spending some time in Toronto and wanted to play tournaments. Another couple did the same thing and went on to win an event. It's was being done and still is. GAO want the money and won't turn you down.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm a GAO public player with an official cap, can play tourneys. Small fee per year I think it's around 30$.

That's all I need to hear. Thanks, Gerry.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Mike a player from our club joined the public player program before we became part of GAO as he was spending some time in Toronto and wanted to play tournaments. Another couple did the same thing and went on to win an event. It's was being done and still is. GAO want the money and won't turn you down.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm a GAO public player with an official cap, can play tourneys. Small fee per year I think it's around 30$.
    likewise. Join online, no problem at all.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Are we paying a fun tournament between two rival cities or am i signing up for an official CPGA Tourney?

Sounds like it is getting out of hand....just my 2 cents
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

For some, it's getting out of hand if the caps are by guesstimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post
    Are we paying a fun tournament between two rival cities or am i signing up for an official CPGA Tourney?

Sounds like it is getting out of hand....just my 2 cents

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    For some, it's getting out of hand if the caps are by guesstimates.
    The handicap issue has been around since this tourney was started , hopefully this solves the problem .
    It's only about $30 to register online for the entire season , and will let you play in many tournaments should you wish to do so.
    Also your, sour faced , just recently beaten down and humiliated opponent , will no longer be able to mutter the words "sandbaggers" under his teeth clenching breath

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post
    Are we paying a fun tournament
    this is sewious bidness
    You only get out of something what you put into it

As you and I know, Will, it has a long history. My guess is that there'll still be complaints during the tournament even with a change, if someone plays exceptionally better than their cap as can infrequently happen. It's part of the event's charm!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    The handicap issue has been around since this tourney was started , hopefully this solves the problem .
    It's only about $30 to register online for the entire season , and will let you play in many tournaments should you wish to do so.
    Also your, sour faced , just recently beaten down and humiliated opponent , will no longer be able to mutter the words "sandbaggers" under his teeth clenching breath

Not as much if you're on the outside looking in.

Are you going to play this year? You're missed in Belleville.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    this is sewious bidness

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've played in every one of these events and for the most part the handicapping has been pretty decent.

Every year there are a couple of scores that raise eyebrows on either side, but in the end it's just for fun so I never get bent out of shape by it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Sandbagging all comes down to the finger tips of the one entering the scores. Paying $30 or not isn't going to stop someone from skewing their scores.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Exactly what i was going to say, what different does it really make to have a GAO handicap vs one kept on this site??

Exactly what i was going to say, what different does it really make to have a GAO handicap vs one kept on this site??

I agree 100%. I no longer buy a membership and don't play in any official tournaments. So why would I pay $30 to play in an event where I've never had to before? I plan on putting my name in the hat for this year's event but will think twice if I have to purchase a GAO membership.

If there is a problem with someone sandbagging, kindly tell them they are not invited back. If it is a one off occurrence, so be it. Sometimes the stars align!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

In terms of the calculation of the handicap factor, if all of the scores are entered properly (having due regard to ESC) there should be no difference. One difference, though, may arise if the OG calculator allows the entry of scores from non-affiliated and unrated courses, whereas those scores could not be posted in the OGA system.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I understand both sides as to the handicap issues. Nobody wants to be sandbagged, its a fun tournament that is becoming increasingly more competitive. You can easily manipulate a rcga cap as one on OG. If that is what the tournament is going to come down to to get both sides competing with less bickering so be it.In reality, just my two cents, this event always comes down to money. Especially on OG! It's a fun event with related costs.Thirty dollars is not much. I see people on this site buying clubs, shafts, golf bags etc only to be selling them later at discounted prices losing more money than what they incurred to buy them.

Then, once this handicap thing is ironed out, there will be bickering that some don't want to invest $50 for two shirts and a hat to be our team uniform. Really? All part of a team concept in my opinion.

So, these are my two cents. Sometimes what I write doesn't come out properly on paper.... so excuse me if I offend anyone.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Maybe a little bit of credibility that your taking the time and effort to have an official handicap , that's recognized domestically and internationally .
    The cheaters will always find a way to cheat ,we know that , this is a step , although maybe a small one , to prevent it in this event.

This topic appears to have generated more feedback than anything else on this site for a while. Interesting.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    I understand both sides as to the handicap issues. Nobody wants to be sandbagged, its a fun tournament that is becoming increasingly more competitive. You can easily manipulate a rcga cap as one on OG. If that is what the tournament is going to come down to to get both sides competing with less bickering so be it.In reality, just my two cents, this event always comes down to money. Especially on OG! It's a fun event with related costs.Thirty dollars is not much. I see people on this site buying clubs, shafts, golf bags etc only to be selling them later at discounted prices losing more money than what they incurred to buy them.

Then, once this handicap thing is ironed out, there will be bickering that some don't want to invest $50 for two shirts and a hat to be our team uniform. Really? All part of a team concept in my opinion.

So, these are my two cents. Sometimes what I write doesn't come out properly on paper.... so excuse me if I offend anyone.
    Great post man, thats hilarious and so true.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    This topic appears to have generated more feedback than anything else on this site for a while. Interesting.
    Cabin fever is starting to set in.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I understand the uniform thing. Any "team" event I've played in we've bought or borrowed matching uniforms, I get that. I've never had to suddenly buy "an official" license/permit for a one time event. I vouch for my team, if the tournament commitee isn't happy with our team we are not asked to come back. Although that hasn't happened to any team I have organized it has happened to my friend's teams.

To me, that's how you deal with it. And in case people were not aware, the handicap software for this site was approved and acknowledged by the RCGA when Dan was trying to make OG an offical golf club.

When was the last time Scot posted! How are ya buddy!

Thread Information