CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge slad is on a distinguished road

GC2 Owners - Help me out with a few questions...

Im sitting here a few weeks before it arrives (feels like waiting on my Red Rider BB Gun for Christmas) and have a couple of questions...

1. How do you aim square to an impact screen target? Im sure it will make sense when I get it, but I am bit perplexed.

2. Projectors - I don't want to belabor the many hundreds of posts post on the topic, but at 1000k or less, what should I get? I see some options with the Benq, but lacks lumens. I hear praises of the Optoma, but no short throw. I have NOT seen much said about the ViewSonic PJD8750... but it lacks keystone correction ( is that really important?) I do want to project 16 FEET by 9 FEET, Short throw is really nice but not a deal killer, and I DO plan on using it for home movies, so 3D on a curved screen would be nice too. Just not sure what is REALLY the best for the money??? I really want a crisp projection setup without worrying about a little extra light in the room. I have zero desire for some half done slightly washed out image.

3. Impact Screens... I am absolutely a DIY'er, not because its a cost saver, I just really enjoy doing it. So, where the hell do you find the impact screen material??? Would Carl's Blackout Cloth over on Amazon be strong enough??? I have read that the actual 1000k screen wear out... so how rugged does the material need to be? (Note: Simulator screen and home movie screen will NOT be the same or shared). Oh, and SEAMLESS is a MUST!

I have 3 weeks to get the screen and projection set up before the GC2 arrives... and need to be moving fast.

Thanks in advance -Slad

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I actually went with a 4:3 XGA projector that does 1024x768. The reason being, I only have a limited "width" on my screen obviously. If I go 16:9, I will not fill as much vertical space on the screen as a 4:3 would. The 4:3 projection will be more square. Yes the resolution isn't as high, but I have to say I don't have any issues with it and it looks fine. I am also using a regular rear/ceiling mounted projector vs. short throw.

Eventually if I ever have the luxury of having a dedicated indoor sim/HT room, i'll do it right with widescreen.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Hey slad,

For projectors you have lots of options. First thing you need to ask yourself is how big your screen will be and how far back you are able to mount a projector. You can visit the link below to do calculations.

projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

I Just bought the benq W1070 and have now problem with its brightness. I've never used a short throw but I will say that I would really prefer to have the projector mounted behind me.

For screens I got mine from Par2Pro, just google it. It came in the length I ordered and I built it to my specs. Looks fantastic.

Cheers

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by slad View Post
    Im sitting here a few weeks before it arrives (feels like waiting on my Red Rider BB Gun for Christmas) and have a couple of questions...

1. How do you aim square to an impact screen target? Im sure it will make sense when I get it, but I am bit perplexed.

2. Projectors - I don't want to belabor the many hundreds of posts post on the topic, but at 1000k or less, what should I get? I see some options with the Benq, but lacks lumens. I hear praises of the Optoma, but no short throw. I have NOT seen much said about the ViewSonic PJD8750... but it lacks keystone correction ( is that really important?) I do want to project 16 FEET by 9 FEET, Short throw is really nice but not a deal killer, and I DO plan on using it for home movies, so 3D on a curved screen would be nice too. Just not sure what is REALLY the best for the money??? I really want a crisp projection setup without worrying about a little extra light in the room. I have zero desire for some half done slightly washed out image.

3. Impact Screens... I am absolutely a DIY'er, not because its a cost saver, I just really enjoy doing it. So, where the hell do you find the impact screen material??? Would Carl's Blackout Cloth over on Amazon be strong enough??? I have read that the actual 1000k screen wear out... so how rugged does the material need to be? (Note: Simulator screen and home movie screen will NOT be the same or shared). Oh, and SEAMLESS is a MUST!

I have 3 weeks to get the screen and projection set up before the GC2 arrives... and need to be moving fast.

Thanks in advance -Slad
    go to Cory's website

www.par2pro.com

for your screen.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I will be getting my screen through Cory based on all the great reviews from here on the HQ material. I have the Benq 1080st as well and believe that it will be just fine for my room, but I do have to make sure I control the light (between projector and screen). I have put a couple of Movies on it in my theatre room and a very large image looked very good. I am just waiting on the canopy fitings for my cage and will be building out my screen etc. at that time. Not in too big of a rush at the moment as I am waiting to see what is released at the PGA show in terms of everything else.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I have a GC2 and made a platform to hit off of so therefore I am able to set my short throw projector in front of the platform and balls are hit over top of it and the only chance to hit the projector is on a bounce back. I set a piece of lexan over the projector to protect for that and the image projects through the lexan just fine. I only have about 80 inches or so to my platform and this is enough for the short throw to give a 7ft tall image. Also with a short throw you are never in the way of the projector unless you go to pick up balls.

If you had the space behind I would do similar as the golf channel does and use a backlit material (sign companies use for light up signs) as the screen and project the image from behind. Again with a short throw you only need 7 or 8 feet and then use a black net in front of that backlit material (as it is not strong and will not stop a shot) and let the net stop the balls and your image still looks good looking through the black net. If you ever hit one through the net then you will have a hole in your screen and whatever what behind it.

As for setting up the GC2 so it is square to your target line. I measure the platform to the screen and get as close to even as I can and then move the projector slightly to make the image level and not high on one side as that would throw the green view off and look like you were on a slope. If you get the base course and range you can hit balls in the club fitting mode and that mode shows a white line down the center of the range. You also need to set up your GC2 with measurements as to where it is sitting compared to center of the screen and distance away etc. Once these are set to test your alignment you just hit a ball into the screen and watch where the ball hits the screen and where the ball image starts. They should be lined up. There is a number that will show if your shot was straight (left or right) by a degree or less. If its in the .1 to .5 range and your ball hit dead center you are lined up good enough. Another way is to set up on the green and putt. If your putt was straight on your pad but off line on the GC2 then you can move the GC2 slightly to adjust.

Once all is set up I suggest to make marks on your pad as to where the GC2 sits and what angle to be straight. It does look great to see the ball start almost perfect on line from where it hits the screen.

I also bought the Protee software to run with the GC2 so all 100+ courses and on line play. So far so good, as I really like it and their support is very good.

I plan on doing a full 16 feet by 9 feet... And that gets expensive from any golf supplier. I am thinking of using a mesh tarp material, even if I have to back it with some other material.

Great info SFR!

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    PR-20 from westcoastnetting is probably the cheapest/best option for you then.

Lob Wedge woodburywild is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    I have a GC2 and made a platform to hit off of so therefore I am able to set my short throw projector in front of the platform and balls are hit over top of it and the only chance to hit the projector is on a bounce back. I set a piece of lexan over the projector to protect for that and the image projects through the lexan just fine. I only have about 80 inches or so to my platform and this is enough for the short throw to give a 7ft tall image. Also with a short throw you are never in the way of the projector unless you go to pick up balls.

If you had the space behind I would do similar as the golf channel does and use a backlit material (sign companies use for light up signs) as the screen and project the image from behind. Again with a short throw you only need 7 or 8 feet and then use a black net in front of that backlit material (as it is not strong and will not stop a shot) and let the net stop the balls and your image still looks good looking through the black net. If you ever hit one through the net then you will have a hole in your screen and whatever what behind it.

As for setting up the GC2 so it is square to your target line. I measure the platform to the screen and get as close to even as I can and then move the projector slightly to make the image level and not high on one side as that would throw the green view off and look like you were on a slope. If you get the base course and range you can hit balls in the club fitting mode and that mode shows a white line down the center of the range. You also need to set up your GC2 with measurements as to where it is sitting compared to center of the screen and distance away etc. Once these are set to test your alignment you just hit a ball into the screen and watch where the ball hits the screen and where the ball image starts. They should be lined up. There is a number that will show if your shot was straight (left or right) by a degree or less. If its in the .1 to .5 range and your ball hit dead center you are lined up good enough. Another way is to set up on the green and putt. If your putt was straight on your pad but off line on the GC2 then you can move the GC2 slightly to adjust.

Once all is set up I suggest to make marks on your pad as to where the GC2 sits and what angle to be straight. It does look great to see the ball start almost perfect on line from where it hits the screen.

I also bought the Protee software to run with the GC2 so all 100+ courses and on line play. So far so good, as I really like it and their support is very good.
    I am getting the GC2 and HMT (providing nothing new introduced via the PGA Show). Can you upload a pic of you projector setup? I really like the option of it on the floor.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I will try but it may not be for a few days. Nothing too special. I have my screen set up like a shower curtain on a bar. I can push my screen over to put away and not be in front of my raidiant heater, and then pull it back and open to use. I have an overhead net to stop flop shots from hitting the ceiling. The platform is about 5 or 6 inches off the floor so the projector is below the front edge of the platform.

An even better projector might be one that has both vertical and horizontal keystone so you can have the projector on a wall by the computer and angle the image and use the keystone to straighten. Then you would not need any height of a platform in case ceiling height is an issue.

Putter WannaB is on a distinguished road
    My GC2 should be in Wednesday I have a BenQ W770ST. Currently I have the projector setup with the image about 3 feet off the ground. What I am trying to figure out is does the image from the projector need to go start at ground level? I am assuming that the place the ball hits the screen is based on the image starting at floor level and the angle and distance the ball goes from where you hit to the screen. Is that the case?

Putter Tcook is on a distinguished road

GC2 Help revisited

Slad-
    I am now in your shoes. I've purchased a GC2. Now need to order all the other pieces. Biggest concern is screen and projector. Likely to buy the HQ impact screen from Par2Pro, as I've heard good things and want to use it for TV as well as golf. HQ screen users? are you happy with your screen, the ability to absorb the ball, and the picture quality?

Also, did you choose your projector and dimensions?? I have plenty of distance for "throw". I've heard 16:9 allows better picture quality, but 4:3 would allow me to fill my screen space more. Is picture quality better with 16:9?

Thanks,

Thread Information