CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DMD Question

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Thanks. I'm very happy. And just to be clear, there is no equity issue as far as you're concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    I have answered all the questions directly. IMO, no breach.

If you are not happy with this response please contact the R&A (or RCGA) on their website.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Correct.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I was tied up with an on line meeting until late last night but did get a chance to search out some other forums for a final answer on this and AAA is correct and I was wrong I think that's the first time this year. I'm sure you'll have another iteration of it shortly.

Gerry, do I get a decoder ring?

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I was tied up with an on line meeting until late last night but did get a chance to search out some other forums for a final answer on this and AAA is correct and I was wrong I think that's the first time this year. I'm sure you'll have another iteration of it shortly.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    That means then that absent resort to the equity rule, every player in a group who has not teed off on the first hole can ask the players who have hit, which club they used, and the persons, who were asked, can answer, and none of those players will be penalized. That seems to me to be against the spirit of the game.

Forgive me for pushing, but I'd like someone to deal with this scenario, and answer my question directly. So far, the rules aficionados have danced around the edges.
    In post 17 above AAA quoted what the "Spirit of the Game" is. What part of the scenario regarding giving advice to someone who has not yet started their round, do you feel is contrary to what is written? That is, what rule has been broken or what breach of etiquette has occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I was tied up with an on line meeting until late last night but did get a chance to search out some other forums for a final answer on this and AAA is correct and I was wrong I think that's the first time this year.
    Since it is only January 14, and at the same rate, it means that you will be wrong 25 more times.

As I argued in my previous posts, no rule has been broken by any of the players. Nor has there been any breach of etiquette, as I understand the demands of etiquette. As for the spirit of the game, I understand that it has been interpreted as being the equivalent of complying with the letter of the law as laid down by golf's governing bodies. My own sense (which is of no importance to anyone save me) of the spirit of the game is a bit stricter. It strikes me as contrary to the spirit of the game (as I view the spirit of the game) to have four golfers on the tee and ready to tee off on the first hole asking the player or players who have hit before them for advice on the shot they've just played, when they cannot do that on any other hole. If the first hole is a par 3 (and there are courses like that), then that information could be very valuable. Were it up to me, I would amend the rules to prohibit asking for, or providing. advice on the first tee just before one is about to tee off. The rule change would not be difficult to effect. It wouldn't be the first time that an ad hoc remedy was effected to address actions on the course that upset the ruling bodies and players generally. It happened with Sam Snead's putting style; with anchored putting, and with the slap shot chipping technique.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    In post 17 above AAA quoted what the "Spirit of the Game" is. What part of the scenario regarding giving advice to someone who has not yet started their round, do you feel is contrary to what is written? That is, what rule has been broken or what breach of etiquette has occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Were it up to me, I would amend the rules to prohibit asking for, or providing. advice on the first tee just before one is about to tee off. The rule change would not be difficult to effect.
    I have some sympathy for your view but doubt that the wording would be that easy.
    Give it a go and let us know what you come up with.

Out of interest, would you prohibit a group of players on the tee, prior to teeing off, discussing what and why they intend to use?

I will give it a shot in a day or two. As for the discussion prior to anyone teeing off, I have no problem with that. I know it's a fine distinction, but that doesn't trouble me quite as much as the hypothetical that I suggested.

I have some sympathy for your view but doubt that the wording would be that easy.

Out of interest, would you prohibit a group of players on the tee, prior to teeing off, discussing what and why they intend to use?

8-1/6.5
    Player who has played his first stroke in a stipulated round, gives advice.

Q. In a group established by the Committee, a competitor plays the first stroke of his stipulated round. A fellow competitor, who is next to play, asks the player what club he used for his first stroke. The player indicates that he had hit a 6 iron. Was the player in breach of 8-1?

A. Yes. Further, the fellow competitor is also penalized for asking for advice after the stipulated round of his group has begun.

Pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    8-1/6.5
    Player who has played his first stroke in a stipulated round, gives advice.

Q. In a group established by the Committee, a competitor plays the first stroke of his stipulated round. A fellow competitor, who is next to play, asks the player what club he used for his first stroke. The player indicates that he had hit a 6 iron. Was the player in breach of 8-1?

A. Yes. Further, the fellow competitor is also penalized for asking for advice after the stipulated round of his group has begun.
    Now you have caused some confusion.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    BC MIST and I are no longer friends
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Now you have caused some confusion.
    If I get my tires slashed, I'll know where to send the police. If my tongue in cheek writing is so believable I should offer my services to the R&A and the USGA, for the 2016 revision of the Decisions.

Thread Information