CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Projector Help

3 Iron cklguy2013 is on a distinguished road

Projector Help

I know there are a number of threads on here regarding projectors, but I was wondering if I could get some input regarding an HD projector issue. I'm looking for a projector which can pull double duty for a true HD home theatre as well as a golf simulator. Golf simulator wise I'm looking for a 16' by 9' image, and I have up to 27' from the screen, with 10' ceilings.

My concern is that if I go with an HD projector, the projector will have to be mounted in the 25' from screen range, so I'm concerned with shadows during sim play, but if I go with a short throw projector I won't have HD for movies, etc.

Any input and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Hi Bubba, I took a look at that unit but projector central is calling for a birghter unit for that image size, so I'm thinking I probably need something more in the 3000 lumens range. I do like the throw distance though, being 12' for a 16' by 9' image.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    From the reviews on this site it appears to be plenty bright. Perhaps the forum users that have this unit can pipe up.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I will be testing it for brightness over the holiday. From my initial tests, it seemed to be bright enough, but I do note that the image size I was going for was 12 by 9. If you are looking to do double duty, then a 1080p projector will be a must and unfortunately there really just are not a lot if any short throw projectors out there with 3,000 lumens. Sounds like you have a dedicated room as well, are you able to control the amount of light in the room? For a theatre set-up, you would likely not want to have something too bright. Also, with the Benq and watching movies, you may need to be ok with a little rainbow effect. I would do a google search for the reviews on this projector though as they are pretty good and note that the projector has good brightness (although the screen sizes are much smaller than what you are considering).

Hi Dax, yes a dedicated room and yes I am able to control the light to a certain degree. I'm ok with a regular HD projector as long as it doesn't cast a shadow.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Check out some of the posts in the last number of months in the HD Projector thread as there are a few people using HD projectors for the same purpose as you and I believe they state that their projector is 18 to 20 feet from the screen without issue (will of course depend on your ceiling hieght). I think they mentioned a pretty good Epson projector that seemed to fit the bill.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I have a 15' wide screen x 10 tall. Room is used as movie theatre, xbox, and golf sim. The projector is attached to the ceiling 20' from the screen. I use a Panasonic PT-AR100u. You can get one for about $1200-1300 in the US. My room is totally blacked out from about 17' back from the screen (walls and ceiling, turf on floor). Front edge of the seating is at about 20'. That distance works great. Requires you to use the zoom. You get a tiny head shadow when putting, but it is very small and you don't notice it much when actually putting with your head down! (the picture comes down a little over 8' from the ceiling; 16x9 image but only 15' wide). That unit works great for me. For the money, I couldn't find anything better with those specs. Haven't looked at new models that might have come out in the past 3 years.

On the brightness, make sure you look at the "lf" rating on the projectorcentral.com calculator (when you get all your setting right) - it is the better measure of brightness rather than the quoted lumens. You'll find some projectors have much worse performance when you blow the image up that big despite the quoted lumens number

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    I currently have a 720P projector -- Panasonic PT-AX200U and I am considering a 1080P projector. Will the 1080P make much of a difference in my picture quality? I have a GC2 and with some of the course packages.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Yes

Putter dhartig is on a distinguished road
    Hi clkguy, I started a spreadsheet to keep track of all the projector options. My throw area is 14' x 9' and I too am trying to incorporate the sym and movies into the same room. The Benq W1080ST looked good but Projector Central shows it hangs a little low to fit my ceiling height of 11'.

I also realized that getting a projector to produce a good golf image would mean ~200" movie images. I really don't want to see movies that close up. I'm thinking of splitting up the tasks between 2 projectors.

Here are other golf projectors that fit my dimensions. Some require a little more drop down than I wanted when positioned at 10' - 12' from the screen. But all should cast no shadows until you get to 6'-6"+ player height:

BENQ W1080ST
    INFOCUS IN124ST
    INFOCUS IN126ST
    NEC M300WS
    OPTIMA TW610STi+
    OPTIMA GT750
    SONY VPL-SX125
    VIEWSONIC PJD6383ws
    VIEWSONIC PJD6683ws
    VIEWSONIC PJD7583wi

Right now I am leaning to the NEC as a good mix of brightness and not too much physical drop needed.

If anyone has one of the above (or a good addition to the list) I think many of us would want to hear comments.

Hey dhartig, great stuff thanks, I hadn't looked at the NEC but most definitely will. I was leaning towards the BenQ 1080st from 12', my concern with it is the lower lumens though. Great to see another Ontarian on here, and as with Bubba in Barrie not overly far.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cklguy2013 View Post
    Hey dhartig, great stuff thanks, I hadn't looked at the NEC but most definitely will. I was leaning towards the BenQ 1080st from 12', my concern with it is the lower lumens though. Great to see another Ontarian on here, and as with Bubba in Barrie not overly far.
    Don't be overly concerned with lumens. I had an Epson with 2500 lumens and my Benq W1070 with 2000 lumens is much brighter and it is mounted 14 feet from my screen. The Benqs have excellent color and the dlps have a great image as long as you don't see rainbows.

Thread Information