100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Point5 Limited Flight Balls

Recently purchased some limited flight balls from Point5. http://www.pointfivegolf.com/index.html. These are a 1 piece surlyn ball. They are designed b folks that had. Link to th Caymsn ball but much, much better. http://www.google.ca/search?q=cayman...iw=768&bih=928

I must say, I am impressed with these balls as an option for simulators. I like them much better than the Almost, BrushT, Cayman and Callaway balls. They at very durable. I have had a chance to play them on the Protee as well as a launch monitor and am very impressed with their initial ball speed, launch angle and spin. The are slightly lighter than a real ball. The Caymn balls are good but the "pimples" they have tend to wear out and the ball scuffs. The Point5 have dimples like real balls. They have a great feel like a real ball but not as heavy and as hard on the impact screen. Spin seems reasonable. I would recommend these balls for those that want a limited flight ball instead of a reall ball in confined spaces for safety issues against stray shots. But don't kid yourself. Shanking one of these will cause some damage at 150mph so still prep your impact screen and side protection or netting 4 sure!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Bubba22, what about sound level from a driver and are these semi hard? feel compared to Jeff World of golf balls?

Thanks

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Bubba for the review. I'm also interest in sound level of Point5 versus AlmostGolf and a real ball. I did buy the Jef 'World of Golf' ball and I just can't get over the smaller size of the Jef ball compared to a regular ball.

Putter Golf Guy is on a distinguished road
    Great link Bubba. Here in Singapore space is always a concern, good to know that other options exist other than the AlmostGolf balls which btw are called Point3 balls, interesting similarity I reckon.

Jef are slightly smaller. Sound of the Point5 are definitely louder than the Almost or Jef. Sound is between the Jef and a real ball. Feel I more like a real ball!

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Recently purchased some limited flight balls from Point5. http://www.pointfivegolf.com/index.html. These are a 1 piece surlyn ball. They are designed b folks that had. Link to th Caymsn ball but much, much better. http://www.google.ca/search?q=cayman...iw=768&bih=928

I must say, I am impressed with these balls as an option for simulators. I like them much better than the Almost, BrushT, Cayman and Callaway balls. They at very durable. I have had a chance to play them on the Protee as well as a launch monitor and am very impressed with their initial ball speed, launch angle and spin. The are slightly lighter than a real ball. The Caymn balls are good but the "pimples" they have tend to wear out and the ball scuffs. The Point5 have dimples like real balls. They have a great feel like a real ball but not as heavy and as hard on the impact screen. Spin seems reasonable. I would recommend these balls for those that want a limited flight ball instead of a reall ball in confined spaces for safety issues against stray shots. But don't kid yourself. Shanking one of these will cause some damage at 150mph so still prep your impact screen and side protection or netting 4 sure!
    Thanks for the info Bubba. Too bad you have to order 5 dozen at a time.

Psace they sell it by the dozen. I spoke with the owner today and they will sell by the dozen. The range balls they sell to ranges and indoor golf facilities. Just call and ask foe a dozen only. Mention Ottawa golf as I told him I would be reviewing. I think they are good for indoor places.

Thanks Bubba. I will give them a shot so to speak. Do they sell through any other online sellers like Amazon?

I have only seen them direct from them Psace. I think Cory is gonna look at getting them. They are coming out with a softer, low spin and low launch versions. They kinda want to have balls for all different folks (just like a ProV 1 vs ProV1x vs NXT vs DT Solo etc) but geared towards kimited flight courses. Its a great idea actually. The balls are much better than the Cayman balls which like I said tends to fray. They are heavier and harder than the Almost ball. Pro bably not for everyone but I like them. Mention the Ottawa forum if you talk to the owner. He's a really nice guy.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Hey Bubba, what launch monitor did you try them on? Is anyone close to you that has a GC2 that could try them?

So far for the GC2 it sounded like the brush t balls were the ones that were working the best on it for ball flight, on the sim. I have not tried them yet but noticed they were yellow and was worried about marks on the screen, unless they also came in white.

I guess for the price it might be worth just getting a dozen and trying them out.

Thanks for the link.

The one thing I have noticed with these balls is that they launch quite high. They are supposed to be developing a lower launch, lower spin ball in the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    The one thing I have noticed with these balls is that they launch quite high. They are supposed to be developing a lower launch, lower spin ball in the next year.
    Thats seems like the opposite of the Almost balls where they may launch too low and have too low of spin. Sound like Cory is trying to get some in so if he is able to I will try some on the GC2. Unless Santa can mail one... I would even paypal him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    Thats seems like the opposite of the Almost balls where they may launch too low and have too low of spin. Sound like Cory is trying to get some in so if he is able to I will try some on the GC2. Unless Santa can mail one... I would even paypal him to do it.
    Have you been a good boy this year?

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Have you been a good boy this year?
    Well.... When I asked, more than 70% the people said 2/3 of the time they think I was mostly good at least half of the time. That should be close enough I think.

Well I waited and waited and Santa never came so I bought some 5 point balls from Cory.

When you log in things should line up better than you see when not logged in. Darn ads change spacing.

Here is what I found with testing a 7 iron and a 5 wood for carry only.

With a ProV1 ball : Club sp..... Ball Sp....... LA....... Back spin...... Carry
    with a 7I................76.2..........103.9.........18.7 ........5901...........149.26
    ............................76.0..........105.4... ......17.1........5771...........152.15
    ............................76.2..........106.9... ......15.1........5447...........156.35

with a 5 wood........91.7...........135.0.........8.3...... ...4375...........210.51
    ...........................92.2...........136.1... ......15.1........3744...........224.25
    ...........................91.4...........133.1... ......14.9........3432...........221.88

with a 5 point ball
    with a 7 iron...........76.0.........103.3..........15.0........7226... ........144.07
    ............................76.7..........110.6... ......14.4........7407...........156.69
    ............................76.7..........111.7... ......15.2........6995...........160.37

with a 5 wood........92.3..........144.7..........13.7..... ...3696...........239.43
    ...........................91.9..........146.0.... ......10.4........3942...........238.92
    ...........................94.4..........149.9.... ......11.6........3950...........245.60

So first of all they are a lot better than an Almost Ball for being close to actual distance, however I am finding they are a little higher on ball speed than normal. Irons are not bad but woods will show a little higher ball speed than they should compared to a ProV1.

Overall I find the LA is a bit lower and the back spin is a bit higher with Point 5 balls.

However my real life 7I is about 160 yds and that 5 wood is 240 yds.

I had wondered about the yardage I was getting hitting of a fibrebuilt turf but that turf is a bit thick and you need to hit the ball well to see normal yardage. I have since made my own diviot action hitting mat with some turf glued onto some lexan and using foam under that to create a cushion. With this pad I found it better and match my outdoor yardage much better. With the test above I needed to use my fiberbuilt turf top as that is the one I used with my P3pro to get club data and the club speed for the above shots. The club speed that GC2 estimates is not the best and in this case I thought the P3pro was quite good for club speed data.

I am seeing some wear on the 5 point balls with burrs on them after using them a week or so and not hard use. I do think they are a great option to use when you are not wanting people to use real balls on the system. Also a good option to use on flop shots where you may not have a good overhead net.

I am finding hitting the real balls in my shop with my woods is harder than outdoors so I must change my swing a bit with my indoor swing and the thoughts of putting a ball through a wall does not help. This would be another area that the 5 point balls are good. I can hit them better with less worry with the woods.
    Last edited by SFR; 12-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.

No one else had a chance to try these new 5 point balls?

I agree SFR. Interesting that you are seeing higher ball speeds with these balls? That shouldn't be the case. I also find that they are wearing some.

Thread Information