CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road

Building or Upgrading a Golf Simulator Computer for the Future

My current sim PC specs:

AMD Phenom X4 3.0 ghz
    3.25 GB of usable RAM
    Win7 32 bit.
    ASRock K10N78D ATX motherboard with internal serial header(good for Protee)
    64GB SSD C: drive
    250GB Secondary SATA II 7200rpm HD.
    2 PCI USB cards(for Protee)
    Nvidia GTX460 1GB
    800w PS

I built the above on a budget and it worked great for the Optishot at max resolution and detail. It worked pretty good for Protee's Red Chain software also. But it can't handle Protee's max settings and 1080P for some of the newer courses. Would even slow down online play for everybody since others with faster machines would have to wait for mine to finish before the game would switch to their turn. I had to turn down the graphics to medium or balanced mode for the online games to run smoother.

SO, I'm going to build a new sim PC. I want it to be fast enough for Protee, e6 II, Perfect Golf, and whatever else at max detail and 1080p. It'll still be on a budget of course. I've already ordered some of the parts. Let me know what you all think about my new specs:

AMD FX 6300 6 cores, 3.5ghz OC to 3.8ghz
    Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ with serial header and SLI capable
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Win7 64bit
    120GB SSD C: drive
    500GB 7200 rpm sec drive
    2 PCI USB cards for Protee
    Nvidia GTX 670 2GB
    800w PS

The combination of the FX 6300 and GTX 670 should be able to do what I want and then some. Can throw in another GTX 670 for SLI if needed in the future.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-18-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Nice!!

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    VERY nice! Your "OLD" system is likely an upgrade for many of us - lol

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Very nice!

The GTX 670 gets some great reviews.

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    So what's the budget on this new PC setup? Don't skimp on the case. A UMX2 should give you plenty of space.

Got a few good full size cases to use. If you build it to my specs, it should cost around $850-900 with the case. You can save money by buying used stuff on Ebay. The motherboard, CPU and GTX 670 are all used. The rest of that stuff I already have so this upgrade is only costing a few hundred dollars.

No need to buy the latest AMD or Intel I7. Simulation software is not CPU intensive. Not much action until the ball gets launched.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    So glad you posted this thread. My Optishot came today and I have been struggling a little bit with my pc build. It needs to run Optishot at max as well as be relatively future proof for Protee, red chain, and e6 II. I'd like to be able to run them at max resolution also. I have not bought a projector yet either, so I've been spending a lot of time at projector central plugging in numbers.

Glad I could help. Get a 1080 projector and Cory's HQ screen to go with the MX detail.

Strongly considering the BenQ W1080ST.

I am finding that trying to design my entire system (projector, screen, enclosure, mat, computer, etc) is like trying to put together a puzzle when you don't know what the picture looks like. HAHA

One step at at a time. With a dedicated room and controlled lighting, you won't need a 3000 lumens projector. But if you want 16ft wide screen, you'll need 3000.

Just tested the GTX 670 on my AMD x4 phenom. This thing rocks. Quiet and doesn't even get warm. Glad I got it used for $200.

So, in keeping with your theme here, a few questions about building a rig without spending 3K. I have built a gaming rig before, so I know the money you can save if you aren't afraid to do the work yourself.

You were saying the CPU is not a huge part of the equation (my words), that is interesting. How much ram is necessary for great sim rig? What is the roll and importance of a SSD? I also noticed that you would elect to stick with Windows 7 64 bit. What is the reason for that if you don't mind me asking.

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    Z do you know if the GTX 670 requires a i7 vs an i5? I currently have an i5 and would like to upgrade my video card.

Don't get me wrong, you still need a good CPU. You just don't need a $400 i7. This is dedicated for golf simulation software and not for playing BF4 or call of duty. The AMD FX 6300($80 used) should be plenty. Can OC if needed. Motherboard can handle higher wattage FX CPUs when prices drop in the future.

4gb of ram is ok for now but might need more for e6 II or PP. so, need to go with win7 64. It's a good operating system. Win8 blows from I've been reading. SSD allows faster loading of courses and very fast boot up. Not, necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by bubs3141 View Post
    Z do you know if the GTX 670 requires a i7 vs an i5? I currently have an i5 and would like to upgrade my video card.
    I'm no expert on Intel but for gaming, an I5 should be more than fine for the GTX 670.

This is great information. I use a Mac, but my kids laptop has Windows 8....I hate it.

On another note, I have also been debating whether to build a pc to stay in the garage, or go with a laptop. I have never done any work on a laptop, but can take a pc apart and put it back together.

I saw the demo for e6 II and was totally blown away. I can't imagine what it will cost, but I know I have to have it at some point LOL

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Let's hope E62 looks as good as advertised. Remember how good E6 looks on its advertisements but in reality E6 is weak in my mind. I think they will be updating the E6 first anyways!

I don't have experience with e6, just seen demos. What is your preference in software for beautiful courses and gameplay?

I don't like using laptops. If you want one with very good graphics card, you'll have to spend a lot. Even then, the graphics card is not as good as the desktop version. And laptops can overheat easier than desktops. If your graphics card has a meltdown, you might have to buy a new laptop. Laptops are a pain to work on. It only takes a few minutes to disconnect the desktop and bring it in the house.

E6 1.5 updated graphics to be announced at PGA show? I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsgregg View Post
    I don't have experience with e6, just seen demos. What is your preference in software for beautiful courses and gameplay?
    Lol... I just fired up my e6 for the first time in months to check the new video card. Played a hole or two at cabo delso and St. Andrews. The e6 sucks! Amazing how they were able to sell this as a top tier product. Red Chain is much better in terms of detail, resolution, and ball camera. The optishot's 3DD software is also better than e6. The e6 II better be as good as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I don't like using laptops. If you want one with very good graphics card, you'll have to spend a lot. Even then, the graphics card is not as good as the desktop version. And laptops can overheat easier than desktops. If your graphics card has a meltdown, you might have to buy a new laptop. Laptops are a pain to work on. It only takes a few minutes to disconnect the desktop and bring it in the house.
    I subscribe to all of this. I have a gaming laptop that is about 5 years old. Not upgradable at all. This ultimately will be the reason I will build another desktop for my golf sim in the garage.

So it will come down to selecting the right combo of components so I can be ready to move up to protee.

Hmmm, I have to say I love the number of courses available through Red Chain. I need to design to run that full tilt.

So, now I have the Optishot and no computer to run it. I am going to have to get to it right after Christmas. I am watching New Egg right now for the right deals to roll along. I couldn't agree more with your one step at a time advice. I'd like to get it right the first time.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I am running my rig on an intel Core2Quad 9650 CPU. This is the generation previous to the i5 and i7. I recently upgraded to an ATI 1GB video card, it's either a 7800 or 7850 (i don't recall offhand). Runs Foresight Redchain in full graphics good enough to not notice any slowdowns. I also have 8GB of memory.

Thank you for sharing that. That is actually helpful in narrowing down a desktop.

Putter RetiredRGM is on a distinguished road RetiredRGM's Avatar
    You should consider atleast one CUDA compliant video card. Not for conetection to a monitor but for off processor highend multicore processing into the 1500core range. That way you can split procesing of generation from play. Without semiphore locking or nead for shared memory for renduring through cou buss. LOOK up CUDA tech and how it is used with high end rendering like 2014 auto cat revit archatecture.

Sand Wedge hobokengolf is on a distinguished road

SSD + secondary drive or SSHD

Is there an obvious advantage to having an SSD + secondary drive (which I assume is necessary because all the courses won't fit on a 120 GB SSD) - over getting an SSHD?

Am I correct in assuming that the most frequently used data would tend to load lightning fast with an SSHD and the less frequently used data would take a bit longer?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    My current sim PC specs:

AMD Phenom X4 3.0 ghz
    3.25 GB of usable RAM
    Win7 32 bit.
    ASRock K10N78D ATX motherboard with internal serial header(good for Protee)
    64GB SSD C: drive
    250GB Secondary SATA II 7200rpm HD.
    2 PCI USB cards(for Protee)
    Nvidia GTX460 1GB
    800w PS

I built the above on a budget and it worked great for the Optishot at max resolution and detail. It worked pretty good for Protee's Red Chain software also. But it can't handle Protee's max settings and 1080P for some of the newer courses. Would even slow down online play for everybody since others with faster machines would have to wait for mine to finish before the game would switch to their turn. I had to turn down the graphics to medium or balanced mode for the online games to run smoother.

SO, I'm going to build a new sim PC. I want it to be fast enough for Protee, e6 II, Perfect Golf, and whatever else at max detail and 1080p. It'll still be on a budget of course. I've already ordered some of the parts. Let me know what you all think about my new specs:

AMD FX 6300 6 cores, 3.5ghz OC to 3.8ghz
    Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ with serial header and SLI capable
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Win7 64bit
    120GB SSD C: drive
    500GB 7200 rpm sec drive
    2 PCI USB cards for Protee
    Nvidia GTX 670 2GB
    800w PS

The combination of the FX 6300 and GTX 670 should be able to do what I want and then some. Can throw in another GTX 670 for SLI if needed in the future.

Thread Information