100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road

Floor projector box

Good morning to all! I wanted to throw a question out there. Is anyone using a floor projector box (I guess similar to the Trugolf Prestiege series) in your home simulator? I can see a few benefits from this type of setup, but am not sure of the drawbacks, other than the obvious worry of ball bounce back into the lens.

I exchanged emails with Cory and he does not offer this type of setup. I have also exchanged emails with the golfsimulatorguys, and starting in 2014, they will be offering this type of setup exclusively. They will be discontinuing the current simulators that are advertised on their site.

This setup could work great with an ultra short throw projector. Anyhow, just looking for some thoughts and opinions from some of the very experienced folks here.

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    I have used this setup when I owned a Trugolf. It made your stance mat that much thicker, and the projector was completely housed inside. It had a 1/4 inch thick piece of plexiglass in front of the lens with two exhaust fans on it to suck the heat out. My plexiglass got a scratch in it and it would project the scratch onto the screen. Overall I was not a big fan of it.

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    So what you want to do is have the computer/projector installed in a podium like stand? I don't see why you can't make one yourself but you have to remember to properly ventilate the podium. A computer and projector gives off a lot of heat. Another issue is blocking the video so your projector needs to have some serious lens shift abilities if it's sitting to the side of your setup. It's a very doable DIY setup but I would hate to have to adjust the podium each time someone bumps into it. It's also impossible to to used by both left and right handled players at once unless you have a really wide room for the setup.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Some great information here!

Bubs, would you happen to have an pictures leftover from when you owned the Trugolf? More specifically, of the projector enclosure? I imagined there would have to be cooling fans. Do you recall how those were set up? Maybe one on one side for intake, and the second on the other side for exhaust?

Espresso, I am only referring to an enclosure for the projector that would sit on the floor in front of the hitting mat, pretty much exactly what Trugolf Technique series does. Computer would not be anywhere near the projector, and the projector should not interfere with left or right handed players.

I guess the obvious advantage to a setup like this is that you don't have to hang the projector, and adjusting the distance the projector is from the screen only require you slide the mat/projector enclosure forward or backward. The plexiglass in front of the lens makes perfect sense.

Bubs, did this setup contribute to your decision to move on to another type of simulator?

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    No, not at all. I wanted to get a protee.

I do not have any pictures. It had what I believe was 2 cpu type fans on each side of the plexiglass. Both were blowing out, to expel the heat.

Thread Information