CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Thomas42 is on a distinguished road

Need Advice on Golf Sim build

Ok after going through what seems like every post on here for a sim build and projectors I'm asking for help... My better half is buying my the Optishot for Christmas and I need help on a few things (projector, hitting mat and the screen). I read one of the post about buying the corner post off ebay and using ENT to build the cage so I'm going that route. I found a cloth woven hitting net on there as well (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-simulat...item58a8402482) and wanted to get everyone's opinion if that's a good deal or not. I also found a mat on there as well (http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTP4860-48-x...-/221162604859)
    Finally I'm looking for a projector that is at least 2600 lumens and short throw projector (that does not have to be HD or the current year latest and greatest technology) that looks great.
    Finally as you can see I'm on a limited budget (US Military) so if you can see where there's options to save money or better quality please let me know. And of course, Thanks for your help & advice.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Thomas,

Take a look in the hardware section, there is an HD projector section where a number of people have put some very helpful info on projectors that they have used over the past year and a half at least. Many of these projectors that people have given good reviews on can now be had used on ebay for great prices and some new with a good discount on Amazon (most are 720p) and if you choose to opt out of 3d, I think you should be able to find something at a really good price. Once you select a couple of projectors to choose from, then go to projector central to get your measurements to make sure that your projector fits your room and is bright enough for the room as well.

In terms of your cage, I am planning on building my own and found a company on the web that seems to have good quality one inch canopy fittings that I am looking into more. I have not called the company yet but plan to do so in a few days to ensure that their fittings will work with what I am planning (I cannot see why it would not). The selection of fittings seems really good and is enabling me to be creative in the design of my cage. The company is called Creative Shelters, although it would be great to see where on ebay you are finding the fittings so that I can look there as well.

Hope this helps!

Gap Wedge Harry is on a distinguished road
    Hi Thomas,
    Do yourself a favor and call Cory at http://www.par2pro.com/
    He has the advice and the equipment so you do this the right way the first time and at the right price.
    He has been a big help to a lot of people on this forum.
    Good luck!

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    I have a budget optishot setup as well. It still cost a pretty penny to setup if you're starting from scratch though. Where in the house are you putting your setup and how big is the area? Garage or basement? If you're on a budget, perhaps you can look into this projector the BenQ MS616ST. If you're just starting, try to stick to your budget if possible. If you end up liking your sim setup, you might end up upgrading to a better system down the road. Otherwise you're only out a few thousand instead of double that.

I too have a Allturf hitting mat but I got this one with the thicker grass top and cut my own 2 slots for the optishot sensors. The thicker grass top is pretty good compared to the cheap range mats I've hit off of. There's a version with rubber backing as well. I did without and opted to get some 3/4" thick equipment mat as the backing. That allowed me to cutout a rectangle for the optishot base and also raise my ball tray level with the grass turf. You just need to measure twice and cut using a sharp blade.

As for screen material, there's quite a few options so you'll have to research. Again, mine was a budget setup so I got the PR-20 impact screen and woven netting. If I had more funds, I'd opt for the Par2Pro netting that everyone seems to like. At the time, price wise it was double the cost so I went with the PR-20. It has a woven textured finish so the imagine isn't great but it's still playable and it does absorb shots great. If I did upgrade impact screen in the future, I'd still leave this behind the main screen. For netting, make sure you get the woven type and it's specifically for golf impact netting. At WestCoastNetting, I got the woven #420 white #1 and it's just the right thickness. If you opt for black netting, get the dyed one as I was told the other treated black one might rub off on your screen after prolong use. They now offer a PR-100 impact screen. I have no clue what is so I cannot comment.

My setup is in the basement with netting on some ceiling tracks so I didn't need a full cage. I can retract my netting so it doesn't take up a lot of space when not in use. If you're opting for a cage, just go to Lowes/HomeDepot and pick up some steel 1" conduit pipes and build your own cage. A 10' piece cost less than $10 if I recalled. For a cage, you probably need like 8-9 pieces along with elbow connectors so it can probably be home built for less than $100.

All said and done, my lowly optishot setup is near $2K starting from scratch.

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    golfsimulatorguys.com they have everything you need plus videos explaining the setup.

Espresso, I looked at the mat your recommended and wanted to go with that one but was not sure on how to do the cut out. Anyone have recommendations the best way to put a mat ?
    I actually decided to go with the BenQ616ST as well...I found it for 314.00 online.
    I'm looking into the PR20 more closely now due to the fact this is not a permanent set-up, it's custom sizing and finally of course the price. Once I have a home where I can build something on a permanent basis I will be able to upgrade the areas needed.
    Thanks everyone for you help and advice

Sand Wedge fewgoodcards is on a distinguished road
    I have the exact mat you linked in your original post and love it. Perfect size and feels good under your feet. It fits the optishot perfectly which keeps it completely still and has seemed to stand up well to my practice swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas42 View Post
    Espresso, I looked at the mat your recommended and wanted to go with that one but was not sure on how to do the cut out. Anyone have recommendations the best way to put a mat?
    If you get the mat I linked without the rubber padding, it's just a sheet of plastic on the bottom and all the fibers are implanted into it. It's fairly easy to cut if you use a straight edge as a guide. All you do is measure where the slots on your optishot would go to be properly aligned and flip it over to cut the bottom side of the mat. Again, measure twice and cut using a sharp blade. I used an x-acto knife and it cut fine. To trim the grass top to expose the sensors better, you can use a pair of sharp scissors and cut using the tips. Kind of like a barber trimming hair. Here's some quick photos. The grass hitting mat and ball tray is sitting on top of a 3/4" exercise foam mat. The exercise mat has to be at least 3/4" thick to work but 1" is better. I removed the stock optishot grass top and pulled the velcro off of it and placed it on my replacement mat. In total I spent ~$100 for the grass mat, $50 for 24 sf of exercise mat and $30 for the ball tray.
    Hitting Mat 01.jpgHitting Mat 03.jpgHitting Mat 02.jpg

Nice work. That looks great

The mat looks great....Exactly what I envisioned wanting myself. The mat in the link is officially on the way!!! Espresso, would it be possible to post pictures of the unit under the grass top and the bottom? The reason being is I've grasped the concept to get the op but still a little fuzzy about how to keep the unit still underneath. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Espresso, is the BenQ projector you linked the one you have? I have been looking at getting a projector to add to my set up and that price is right in my range. If this is the one you have how do you like it? Is the picture pretty good? I was wanting a 720p projector which this looks a little less than that with a 800x600 native resolution, but I do like the price and the HDMI input if the picture is fairly good.

Fewgoodcards, if you decide to go the route of the Benq like I did let me know. The place I found for 314.00 has free shipping as well.

Fewgoodcards, if you decide to go the route of the Benq like I did let me know. The place I found for 314.00 has free shipping as well.
    I will. I think I will wait a little while so hopefully I can read your review first

Indeed I will....even post pics and/ or Youtube video to go with it...I have everything ordered and if all goes (hopefully) I will have everything built & ready for Christmas morning to receive the Optishot and test it out

Quote Originally Posted by fewgoodcards View Post
    Espresso, is the BenQ projector you linked the one you have? I have been looking at getting a projector to add to my set up and that price is right in my range. If this is the one you have how do you like it? Is the picture pretty good? I was wanting a 720p projector which this looks a little less than that with a 800x600 native resolution, but I do like the price and the HDMI input if the picture is fairly good.
    I'm currently using an older model projector. A Sanyo Z2. It works fine for now but I was looking at a BenQ as an upgrade option. It would be great if your guys gave a review.

The Benq is due to be delivered on Thursday and the mat arrived today. I'm going to start this weekend planning so hopefully I can have everything ready to go on Christmas morning for the Optishot

The Benq is due to be delivered on Thursday and the mat arrived today. I'm going to start this weekend planning so hopefully I can have everything ready to go on Christmas morning for the Optishot
    Did you get all set up? I got a little cash for Christmas and was looking to get a projector. Was just wondering your thoughts on the BenQ and if you could give a review.

I was able to test the picture and I'm very impressed with the BenQ projector. The graphics are excellent , though I'm sure they would probably look better if I was running HDMI (which the BenQ has) but unfortunately my laptop doesn't. I have not been able to complete the set up because I cannot figure out how to make the hitting mat, well the under (foam) part I should say. Once I am able to figure out how to finish that I will get pictures of it uploaded.

I was able to test the picture and I'm very impressed with the BenQ projector. The graphics are excellent , though I'm sure they would probably look better if I was running HDMI (which the BenQ has) but unfortunately my laptop doesn't. I have not been able to complete the set up because I cannot figure out how to make the hitting mat, well the under (foam) part I should say. Once I am able to figure out how to finish that I will get pictures of it uploaded.
    If you are trying to make a mat like espresso I think what you need is the either 1 or 2 foot workout mat foam pieces. The ones I have seen look like giant puzzle pieces. Get those, assemble your "puzzle" and cut the outside to the size of the turf you have. Then cut out a rectangle the size of the outside of your optishot for the plastic part to sit in. Lastly cut slits in the turf over where the sensors will be and attach it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by fewgoodcards View Post
    If you are trying to make a mat like espresso I think what you need is the either 1 or 2 foot workout mat foam pieces. The ones I have seen look like giant puzzle pieces. Get those, assemble your "puzzle" and cut the outside to the size of the turf you have. Then cut out a rectangle the size of the outside of your optishot for the plastic part to sit in. Lastly cut slits in the turf over where the sensors will be and attach it all down.

I was thinking the same thing on the exercise mat but I'm not sure of the size (thickness) I need and where I can buy just 4 tiles from. Any ideas?

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Lowes and Home Depot sell them.

Thread Information