CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BlackdoG

Spring golf course conditions

Hey all,

Just played Gatineau today (first day that it opened). Although weather was warm, the whole course was very very wet with puddles everywhere and snow surrounding a lot of the greens. The front nine was especially wet making the back nine much more enjoyable. Greens were a bit rough as expected, but still puttable. All in all its just great that the season has started .

FYI they are charging the full 34 dollars for each round. You get a free round with any two paid green fees, and this promotion goes year round. There are no booked tee times this week, so you just have to show up. At 1pm they already had 65 golfers out, but this of course will change when the nicer courses open up.

If anyone can add information about the course conditions on the Ottawa Golf Club course list that they have played in the spring it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Oh ya, thank god I had my new footjoys, galoshes would have been better at the Gatineau as you said. I drove my ball into the little lake on #8 but to be fair, they told us to lay-up on that hole. The Nation is opening to day and I will be interested to see how it is dryingup. The opening hole is a sight to behold with the lovely snow walls protecting the green!

BlackdoG
    Funny that you mentioned #8. I hit a beautiful drive right into the "lake". Remember that the snow mounds = free drop!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackdoG
    Funny that you mentioned #8. I hit a beautiful drive right into the "lake". Remember that the snow mounds = free drop!
    Snow mounds are hazards, Rule 13.B.24
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

BlackdoG
    Thats really funny! The good news is that I only used it once...but my friend must have had 5 drops.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Mapleview in Great early condition. Not much water on the fairawys and the greens were cut. Slow but cut. Great day nonetheless. Ahhhhhhhhhh to be playing outside once again.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    Yeah, Gatineau was wet and the ponds still had ice on them so you could see the balls on the snow/ice but couldn't get them which I thought was a funny sight.

Is there any deal going on at Mapleview for spring golf?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    $20 at Mapleview

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Also played Mapleview today and was very surprised how dry it was. Nice to get a round in here. The greens were very slow but lots of bite. Can't ask for much the first day they're open. Will be back again in the next week.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar

Nation

Just got back from Nation. It is playable, but not great in my opinion. There is snow beside each green, and lots of it... so there were a few lost balls due to that. The greens were slow, but most of the fairways were pretty dry. In my opinion it was in better shape at this time last year. It is just not cool seeing approach shots land in snow and not being able to find your ball. Playable though.. it was nice to get out. $26.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If God wanted us to play golf on April 7, with good ground conditions, He would have given us a Myrtle Beach climate. If you played today, look up and say "Thank you," and don't whine about a little snow here or there, plugged balls, soft, slow greens or the smell of goose poop. Appreciate the day.

Back in "the good ole days," the late 50's and early 60's, when we did not have this moderate climate, if anyone played golf in April, it was unusual, and if you ever played golf after November 11, you did so in snowshoes and a parka. The idea of playing through November and sometimes into December as we do now, just did not happen. No indoor golf schools to perfect our faults, no simulators, no "Tee It Up," just little old black and white TV's to watch half a hockey game, and a monthly copy of Golf Digest that was the only taste of golf anyone got. Unless you played snow golf at Pineview in 1979.

The Hunt, Royal Ottawa and Rivermead were the "big three," and inaccessible, Cokes were 6 cents and the Rough Riders had a good team.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    If God wanted us to play golf on April 7, with good ground conditions, He would have given us a Myrtle Beach climate. If you played today, look up and say "Thank you," and don't whine about a little snow here or there, plugged balls, soft, slow greens or the smell of goose poop. Appreciate the day.

Back in "the good ole days," the late 50's and early 60's, when we did not have this moderate climate, if anyone played golf in April, it was unusual, and if you ever played golf after November 11, you did so in snowshoes and a parka. The idea of playing through November and sometimes into December as we do now, just did not happen. No indoor golf schools to perfect our faults, no simulators, no "Tee It Up," just little old black and white TV's to watch half a hockey game, and a monthly copy of Golf Digest that was the only taste of golf anyone got. Unless you played snow golf at Pineview in 1979.

The Hunt, Royal Ottawa and Rivermead were the "big three," and inaccessible, Cokes were 6 cents and the Rough Riders had a good team.
    Did you have to walk 20 miles up hill both ways, carrying your clubs and a round only cost a nickle! Using the roundest rock you could and the straightest piece of drift would you could find too a bet.

I'm just messing with you BC, but you do kind of sound like that old guy sitting at the park bench complaining about how spoiled the world is "now days"
    Denny

I think BC was just saying the right thing. We are lucky to playing on april 6 and not on april 26 or even may 6th, like back in the old days. I dont know about the 50's and 60's, but I do know that in the 70's and 80's we still didnt get the weather we now enjoy in late march and early april. I used to stop playing in late september or early october because of the climate. Now we go until early december.

The point is simple, remember the time of year you are playing. If you dont like the wetness, wait until may to play and then enjoy it. If you want to play for the enjoyement dont worry about a little snow here and there, a little water here and there etc. Btw........my socks are dry as can be after 18 holes at MApleview. No balls plugged in fairways at all for our foursome, although we did have mud on them at times.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Did you have to walk 20 miles up hill both ways, carrying your clubs and a round only cost a nickle! Using the roundest rock you could and the straightest piece of drift would you could find too a bet.

I'm just messing with you BC, but you do kind of sound like that old guy sitting at the park bench complaining about how spoiled the world is "now days"
    Denny
    Ha, Ha.

Not confined to the park bench just yet, nor do I even sit on the benches waiting for you to 4 putt and move on. That day will come soon enough, sitting on the benches, that is. The world is spoiled "now days," and I am taking full advantage of it.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Whiile I see your point, I think Paulio was doing what this thread is about: detailing what course conditions are like at Nation.

Thanks Paulio.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Played Nation yesterday and found the course to be in pretty good shape for opening day. Some snow around the greens but the fairways were pretty dry. Only a few of the downhill holes (3, 9, 12) had any water on them. Greens were punched and very slow and bumpy, but the tee boxes were in good shape. All in all it was pretty good for April.

Since it was an afternoon round, pace of play was very slow. Waiting on every tee, it took over 5 hours to play the round. Nice to be out of the course though, especially on such a gorgeous day!

BTW, if you take the 417/Russell Road route from Ottawa, you see a new "lake" between Bourget and the golf course. I've never seen the flooding this bad before. A lot of the gravel roads were completely flooded out.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

BlackdoG

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gbower
    Also played Mapleview today and was very surprised how dry it was. Nice to get a round in here. The greens were very slow but lots of bite. Can't ask for much the first day they're open. Will be back again in the next week.
    As per your advice I am on my way to Mapleview Friday. Really looking forward to a drier course than Gatineau. Thanks for the info.

7 Iron Ace-IT is on a distinguished road Ace-IT's Avatar
    They just took the Tarp/Cover out from the green at Chateau Cartier and the greens look like in July!!!

If I compare them to Champlain, they are 2 months in advance....

The course is not open yet, it wasn't yesterday anyway...

Chateau Cartier will open on the 21st
    Course openings

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Just got an email from Emerald Links saying it will open tomorrow (April 9th) and Cloverdale will open April 14th.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

BlackdoG

Re: Mapleview

Just finished my round at Mapleview. What a great day of golf. The course is very dry for this time of year, with the greens playing very well. Although the course is a bit of a drive from Ottawa, it was well worth it. The staff also were very friendly and took the time to tell us about what club to hit on hole number 8.

A very positive experience!

I have to say... 3 years running Mapleview has the best early spring conditions that I have seen.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Played les Vieux Moulins today (Friday). All in all in decent shape for this time of year. Wet where you expected it to be but overall fairly dry. They were cutting all the greens today in prep for opening tomorrow and the cut ones ran not too bad.

Shaping up to be a good year at the Moulins.

GarthM

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i would have to agree about MapleView. Went and played there today and the course was surprisingly dry. There were barely any spots that were wet. The greens were unbelievably sloooow but what can you expect at this time of year. All in all, great conditions and i don't believe any course can beat the $18 fee.

5 Iron Jes is on a distinguished road Jes's Avatar
    Anyone play Nation today? Curious to see if it's dried up any...

Thanks

3 Iron Longball is on a distinguished road Longball's Avatar

Emerald Links !!

Just wondering if anyone played Emerald Links today, if so, how were the conditions ??

Lob Wedge Noodle is on a distinguished road

Emerald Links

Played today. Conditions were actually great. Played the W & S. The greens on the S course were probably mid-season form. A couple of soggy fairways but overall for this time of year 7 out of 10. Wasn't even busy. Played in 4hrs. Damn, now everybody will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    Wasn't even busy. Played in 4hrs. .
    Why so long???

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Anyone know when Oaks Of Cobden will open?

Pitching Wedge Twisting is on a distinguished road
    I played Raceview yesterday and it was incredibly dry - the greens were very dry too. 27 or 28 (can't remember) to play the 9 twice.

Today I played Manderly and it was really wet. The greens weren't bad though.

I was going to play Emerald Links but I called to play at around 3:30 and the green fee was $47. C'mon.

Thread Information