100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

It's that time of the year again

Snowbirds have started their sojourn south

Hey folks--howabout we use this thread to track who is where and when this winter---perhaps we could get a few games in depending on the location.

We are heading back to Hilton Head for February and March--it will be our 8th year. I have finally managed to get my game $$$ average down to 40.00 per for quality courses--mostly off island.

81 days to go
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    that sounds like something to look forward to!

8 yrs at Hilton Head? or have you mixed it up? as a possible future snowbird, wondered if you could share any trade secrets to keep the budget manageable

Have fun in the sun!
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hi Bruce--8 years HH--1 in Panama City and 1 in Arizona. Never again in Panama City and maybe again in Arizona if the lottery comes in. 4 day drive minimum. Hilton Head is 2 days south--it gets the best of the worst as far a weather is concerned and is really central to Augusta--Savannah--Atlanta Charleston Myrtle and Orlando....4 hours max.

There are cheaper places to play but sometimes you give up quality---the trick here is to use all coupon recourses available. There are also winter memberships available and monthly play cards. Most courses are cart only---very little walking.

A comparable for renting----3 and 4 bedroom units in Barefoot Landing (Myrtle) for 1000.00 per month--------1500.00 in Hilton Head 2 bedroom and 2500.00 and up in Florida. Try and use VRBO and do your homework. We use only owner rentals and phone direct at home and also ask for a work number to check validity. Start your hunt in September---now is getting a little late. Beachfront and ocean view is expensive---if this is not important --money can be saved.

We have seen a 7 degree difference between Myrtle and HH--with only a 2 degree difference for St Augustine---but a major difference to lower Florida----sometimes just too hot and humid.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hi Bruce--8 years HH--1 in Panama City and 1 in Arizona. Never again in Panama City and maybe again in Arizona if the lottery comes in. 4 day drive minimum. Hilton Head is 2 days south--it gets the best of the worst as far a weather is concerned and is really central to Augusta--Savannah--Atlanta Charleston Myrtle and Orlando....4 hours max.

There are cheaper places to play but sometimes you give up quality---the trick here is to use all coupon recourses available. There are also winter memberships available and monthly play cards. Most courses are cart only---very little walking.

A comparable for renting----3 and 4 bedroom units in Barefoot Landing (Myrtle) for 1000.00 per month--------1500.00 in Hilton Head 2 bedroom and 2500.00 and up in Florida. Try and use VRBO and do your homework. We use only owner rentals and phone direct at home and also ask for a work number to check validity. Start your hunt in September---now is getting a little late. Beachfront and ocean view is expensive---if this is not important --money can be saved.

We have seen a 7 degree difference between Myrtle and HH--with only a 2 degree difference for St Augustine---but a major difference to lower Florida----sometimes just too hot and humid.
    very little walking..thats a bummer
    I guess if you are thinking budget, and weighing preferences, one of the tradeoffs I imagine is the weather and the length of stay. If you want warmer, and beaches..it will cost more, so just dont stay as long. But if you hate old man winter, then 60 degrees for an extended period sounds good too.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I head down to just north of Daytona Beach and have a decent choice of average golf courses. We're right on the ocean in a 2 bedroom condo that is only $1600 a month. I like the area as it's not as busy as some and other than golf can take in a number of races at the speedway for a very reasonable price. Spent a few winters on the gulf side but love the Atlantic much more and especially when only having to cross the road to be able to walk the beautiful beach. Water in Jan. & Feb is too cold but still nice walking along the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I head down to just north of Daytona Beach and have a decent choice of average golf courses. We're right on the ocean in a 2 bedroom condo that is only $1600 a month. I like the area as it's not as busy as some and other than golf can take in a number of races at the speedway for a very reasonable price. Spent a few winters on the gulf side but love the Atlantic much more and especially when only having to cross the road to be able to walk the beautiful beach. Water in Jan. & Feb is too cold but still nice walking along the ocean.
    whats your preferred method to find a decent condo? what is the temp range like in jan/feb at daytona? can you walk the courses?
    I spent some time in fort myers area and walking was never an issue. always a choice available

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've found places using vrbo like Big Mac and actually talked to the owner. The units have been managed by a real estate company and for the 8 years we've gone down they have been problem free. All the golf courses that I play you have to ride but for the price it's still pretty reasonable as I think I average easily under $40. If you want to wander around using the sites like *** work pretty good. I don't mind the riding as I can still get all the walking I want along the beach.

Shagging Balls MattKanata is on a distinguished road MattKanata's Avatar
    Heading to Myrtle Beach in 20 days for the X-Mas holidays. Absolutely love it. Golf course are in great shapes and empty. Last year, I played Grande Dunes and King's North for 1/2 price and Pine Lakes for $20. This year, I'm going to Caledonia, TPC Myrtle Beach and The Dunes (which is open to the public for the month of december). Any other course that I should go to? I want to get a 3rd in with my wife. Was thinking Litchfield... Any thoughts?

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Going to Phoenix for a week in Feb. Hope to get some golf in. Trying to convince my wife that, now that we have a house there (in Maricopa) we should each have a second set of clubs. It doesn't make sense to carry them back and forth, does it?

Also, if anyone wants a place to rent there, our house is VRBO # 492281. Rates are negotiable.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Really enjoyed Tidewater Golf Club & Plantation as well as Barefoot Resort - Love Course this past Spring, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKanata View Post
    Heading to Myrtle Beach in 20 days for the X-Mas holidays. Absolutely love it. Golf course are in great shapes and empty. Last year, I played Grande Dunes and King's North for 1/2 price and Pine Lakes for $20. This year, I'm going to Caledonia, TPC Myrtle Beach and The Dunes (which is open to the public for the month of december). Any other course that I should go to? I want to get a 3rd in with my wife. Was thinking Litchfield... Any thoughts?

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I have a place on golf course called Southern Dunes just south of Orlando - best decision we ever made. We looked all over Florida but central was best for us. We are a couple of hours from either coast have tons of fun things to do all winter. For us it was cheaper to buy and have the carrying costs than to rent. Rentals for our type of place run about 2,000 per month and they tend to be snatched up for longer term rentals months not weeks. Ownership is a fraction of the rental cost. Tons of courses in the Orlando area and I have only found one that allowed walkers, it was a small muni course...

Thread Information