100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Alexio

New set up - Outside simulator - Optishot

Hello all,

Once again let me thank you all for this great forum and the help it provides.

Let me describe you my project and the various constraint I have to cope with.
    • I do not have enough space indoor.
    • I have small kids (not a constraint ) but can not go too much play real golf anymore.
    • I need to have a set up that is easy to install and removable.
    • I did not have the budget to get GC2 (so far, but is an option for future)
    For all those reason, I will play outside at night when kids are sleeping.
    The simulator I choose is Optishot (for budget reason) and the good feedback I read from you. It is already in my hands and that is a good start.

I now need to choose the right set up for the Impact screen.
    My area is in between 2 walls (9.7 feet wide), no issue for height as there is obviously no ceiling. I have 15 feet depth so enough to play and project.

My first questions are about the impact screen :

I will surely have to buy a custom impact screen (from Cory or someone else) but I am unsure about the exact size I should order.
    • Is it possible to hang an impact screen only with the side walls (if yes, what maximum size of screen should I order for a 9.7 feet distance wall to wall)
    • or do I have to install a pole from wall to wall to hang the screen?
    • What is the best way to easilly install/remove the screen (Velcro, bungee...) when not playing ?
    I am looking at ULTI MAT for the golf mat.

Many thanks for your help.IMG_0429.JPGIMG_0431.JPG
    Alexis

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    May have problems with lighting and Optishot outside during the day.

Alexio
    Agreed bubba and I will play outside at night (it will be dark for the next 6 month when I would be back from the office anyway). I will then probably build a cover with Anti UV materials or buy a GC2 if finances allow it for spring.

Cool. Good luck. Why not build or buy n enclosure for your screen.

Alexio
    That was an option at the start but it is not anymore. WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) being part of the decision
    Having an enclosure requires a permanent set up or is probably too long to install/remove each time I want to play. This is the reason why I am looking for a impact screen option that might be easy to hang between my 2 walls ... but I may be a dreamer
    I have exactly 9.7 feet bewteen my walls ...so maybe a 9.5 feet screen is easy to hang on both side withouth a pole between the walls ?
    If someone has sort that out or has already made it happen ...I would be glad to get some point of views on the feasability.
    many thanks
    Alexis

There are several folks on her th hav setups in their garage that can b taken down quickly to allow the cars to come in. Anybody have ny ideas?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Alexei
    Bungee cord is your friend. Buy a long roll.
    Tension the top by bungee in top seam.
    Tension the side by eyelets and zig zag bungee through hooks on wall.

Alexio
    Thank you CPA. I had already reviewed your detailed set up within impact screen thread and you do confirm me that bungee are the best option. I Will clearly follow your advice. I Will now buy the screen but still not sure about the width. I have exactly 9.76 feet wide between the walls. What should be the width of the screen (Can be custom) to hang appropriately with bungee ? I am looking at the 9.5*7.5 mesh from Cory. Is 0.13 feet enough to hang on each side ?
    Many Thanks again
    alexis

Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road
    I have to say go 100% with the P3proswing for outdoor use! You don't need to be in pitch dark for it to work, just shade from indirect sunlight. You can even use it outdoors with no cover on a cloudy day!! I have now seen it being used at a driving range! Get it used for cheaper. Optishot and others I tried were useless when light started coming through, even in good shade. Hope that helps some!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Ask Cory about the stretch. But stretching to 3 inches gap either side leaves room for bungee zigzag

Alexio
    Quote Originally Posted by golfun View Post
    I have to say go 100% with the P3proswing for outdoor use! You don't need to be in pitch dark for it to work, just shade from indirect sunlight. You can even use it outdoors with no cover on a cloudy day!! I have now seen it being used at a driving range! Get it used for cheaper. Optishot and others I tried were useless when light started coming through, even in good shade. Hope that helps some!
    If only i Would have asked the question before having the optishot in my hands
    Now i need to cope with it and play at night.
    Thanks
    Alexis

Alexio
    Thanks CPA . Sounds promising then and question already sent to Cory

That's why I asked about the lighting!

Alexio
    And you were right bubba but I did bought my Optishot 3 week ago when travelling to US. I knew that it won t work outside (except at night) but learning that P3P could do it. It Would have changed my mind and sharing it in case someone is looking for the same type of set up as mine. Anyway ... I love to play at night

P3pro is not great in the light as well. The technology is essentially the same. Mine was very light sensitive.

Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road
    Actually the technology is somewhat different, thou it is an IR Sensor. Optishots sensors go bad when sunlight infrared rays of light hit it, or illuminate them. That's why Optishot can't basically be used outdoors except under zero sunlight, like at night. P3pros sensors go bad when the heat from infrared rays hit them. So as long as it's a nice cloudy day or direct shade is over the top it will work. Might not be as great like indoors but from what I have seen it does work very well. And when I said a cloudy day, I mean Cloudy lol

Putter Golf Guy is on a distinguished road
    For best results Optishot needs some light source, direct or ambient, it works by detecting the infra red spectrum of said light source. When using at night just be mindful of the effect of shadows on the sensors. All the best with your setup Alexio.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    The Optishot works outside but not in direct sunlight.
    When I got mine I used it outside starting late afternoon in the shade behind the house.

And it doesn't need external light. Got it's own ir diodes just like the p3pro.
    Both uses ir diodes. Might be a slightly different spectrum but the technology is the same.

Alexio
    Thanks for your feedback. I have tried tonight (foam balls so far as I do not have any protection outside the front wall so far) and it did worked pretty well . I have installed a direct light above it and i did not experienced any shadow effect. So far so good .... Now need to find the best way to install/remove easily the impact screen (working with Cory on this). Additionnal decision taken today is the choice of videoprojector: i Will go for BenQ W1070 (best trade off for golf sim and home theater use at reasonable cost). I will keep you posted in case someone else is interested by this " outside optishot " set up.

Thread Information