CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gap Wedge hula73 is on a distinguished road hula73's Avatar

Ready for install ---now have to finalize everything!!! Could really use some input!

I have included some pics of the concrete pouring and dimensions from my drafter. Everyone thought i was crazy putting in a pit for this but I didn't care..Its my dream.

Let me say from the beginning that Cory at par2pro has been absolutely amazing over the last 2 YEARS as it has taken that long for me to get the house built and of course getting the upstairs totally done for wife before i can start on the basement(2587 sq feet of total MAN CAVE!!!)

Now i have been reading the forums forever and i am down to choosing the right sim. I dont want to spend any more than 20K. Please don't say it is different for everyone on what kind of sim they want. I am looking for opinions.

I can tell you want i would like and hopefully it is possible:

1. Accurate sim- protee or gc2. I want to be able to get better and shaping shots. I am about a 7 handicap. Of course i want it to be fun for the boyz when they come over but i want to use this to really work on my swing when they are not around.
    B. I would like swing analyzer with cameras( i want 2 of them for sure) One looking at the golfer from side and one from behind. I am totally confused on how to do this. I do not want to stop, turn on camera, swing, move video to another monitor, and look at. I would prefer it to be an easy as possible as the goal of the cameras would be to prefect the swing and not be interrupting the learning because I am screwing around on video side.
    2. I would of course like to dual purpose this room as a home theater. When i had them draw and create this pit i got the dimensions from cory on a good size. I did leave a little room for a riser with seats but now i see there will be no way for me to get 2 rows in there without interrupting the person swinging. If ANYONE has ANY ideas on this it would be very helpful also.

3.Can someone confirm for me the image projection? Is it 4:3 or 16:9. Do i need another screen for video? I would really want my movie images is to be 16:9. If so i was think about installing a motorized screen in ceiling just for movie watching. The issue with that is the projector and image probably will be off on ONE of those screens or i would have to re-calibrate the image when i move between screens

FYI the room will be totally enclosed with a big sliding picture window and a countertop with stools behind that so if people aren't playing they can watch from outside the room and have a few cocktails.(this is just and idea--please feel free to chime in on that)

I am installing 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock with green glue between them for sound control.

Sorry for all the words.. 6 cups of coffee and really getting excited about starting this adventure. Building it will be half the fun for me!!!

Thanks for looking at this people

Brett

GolfSim Room.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hula73; 10-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I used to be a hometheater nut. Check out the Panasonic projector with automatic preset zoom. 2 ros s of seats. Back row on riser. I.e. stadium. As for Sim, gc2 unless you have lefties. Protee if you like online play. Gc2 has not setup. Protee will require setup.

Zmax...my issue is do i have enough room now for sim and riser system with a golf simulator?

I included another pic of actual pouring of pit.

I know i should be able to get 1 row in there but 2 would be the cats meow!!!

If you had to choose with my above description would u go GC2 or Protee for me? (forget lefties...they arent real golfers) J/K!!!!!!
    Lefties will not be an issue for me

And...any ideas of a recording camera system?

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I went with a 4:3 projector only because I only had 10' of width in my garage. I was obviously maxing out the sides, but if I went with 16:9 I would not have gotten as much vertical projection. With 4:3 it looks closer to a "box". In your setup, I would probably go 16:9 esepecially if you want to double it as a HT room.

I also love my GC2. Don't know much about ProTee though, but I needed a portable (or removable) solution since I didnt have a dedicated room.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    16/10 for you. Optoma EH300?

GC2 as you can simply remove it for theatre. Lefties are NOT a big problem.

Camera setup
    You need 2 cam setup with mic trigger running on a seperate computer . V1 or Motionview (V1 can intergrate with GC2). Cams need to be fast 120 plus FPS.
    Swingcatalyst has a system you can intergrate with GC2 and add on balance plate as you get $
    PM GM2 about his experience with Swingcatalyst.

Make sure you try out Mats as there is a choice... Truestrike Gel, divotaction, etc all trying to replicate a fairway.

And put the camera setup on a large touchscreen to the side for drawing lines etc

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    GC2 as you can simply remove it for theatre. Lefties are NOT a big problem.
    CPA, while playing a round of golf on the GC2 with lefties might not be a problem for you, it might be a problem for others. Changing the placement of the GC2 for a lefty is easy, but doing it 30+ times in a round might get old. Perhpas the CDG's position track will solve the problem? I've never used it.

Hula73, having said all that, for you want to do, I would recommend a GC2. I estimated 21.5-22' of usable length from back wall to screen. Back row of seats will be on a raised platform that comes out 3.0-3.5' from back wall(if you use actual folding theater seats). First row of seats will butt up right against the platform. Used theater seats to save space. You might be able to get away with a skinny couch. Hitting area can be between 8-9 ft from screen. Depends on you biggest, longest arm golfer. Will probably have to use a short throw projector.

Zmax,

Ty for input. Really appreciate it!!! I included the spec sheet from foresight. They are saying 13 from back wall roughly to tee. How much room do you think i need behind me to swing without hitting something or worrying about hitting something?
    Attached Images

That number is just their example. I'm short but have a flat wide swing. My tee is about 6.8' to my folded up seats. I can swing freely when nobody is sitting in the seat directly behind the tee location. I suspect 7.5' would be plenty for most golfers. And nobody would want to sit back there while somebody is swing a club anyway. Try putting a box 7.5 ft behind the tee location and swinging a driver to see if it will work for you.

The GC2 at 8ft to the screen should work fine.

If i could put the tee at 8' from screen then i am golden....wont i get alot of kickback at 8'?

GC2 has no minimum distance, it is not like radar as it reads th ball in the first few feet of flight and no more.
    It comes down to comfort. I find my coaches setup too close and my 12 ft is comfortable.

Yes Z if it was every day I might get older but for the occasional kack handed mate (as long as he brings beer) it would be OK.

You'll have to find ways to deaden the ball. Double screens, nets, limit the width, etc... Whatever it takes. I wish I had your ceiling height.

Yes Z if it was every day I might get older but for the occasional kack handed mate (as long as he brings beer) it would be OK.
    I have two lefties in my family. It got old real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hula73 View Post
    ....wont i get alot of kickback at 8'?
    can I suggest 2 inch memory foam mattress behind par2pro HQ screen.

again set it up and test comfort. with a GC2 you can move the mat and GC2 back, just make sure the seats fold up:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-R...item5af5ae4e91

there are Doctors and operations can fix that Z!

I don't see any cup holders for the beer. Those will not work in my sim room...

there are Doctors and operations can fix that Z!
    I should teach them to swing from the right side, vs the wrong side. Hahah. It might be better for them...

or for comfort....
    http://www.celebrityseating.com/prod...ting#tab-Links

edit: and 2 beers!

Zmax let me tell ya the height is awesome, but paid through the nose for it. ....had all the concrete guys thinking i was putting a pool in the basement!!!
    I am researching the memory foam now. Went downstairs and measured it out. 8' seem too close to me. I could do 9' i think though. I am hoping to talk with Cory tomorrow to answer some more questions. If all goes well i am going to pop all of this on Monday. Brothers are coming over to begin installing sub floor and bar area this weekend.

I am sure i am going to have more questions....really appreciate the input guys!!!

Brett

http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Aire-Elas...attress+topper

you just have to work out how to fix it vertical!

That room should be awesome hula73. I built a nice home theater at the old house and then I sold it. Which I had the time to do it again for this house. I can watch movies with theater sound and golf in my sim room but it's not pretty, just functional.

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    Great setup. I thought I had one of the better systems on here, but your's leaves mine for dead.

1. You will use the room less for other people than you anticipate. You will think about how your friends will think your room is so cool, and have loads of them round, but once that novelty wears off, it will be just you working on your game. You first, friends secondary.

2. GC2/HMT is great, but I wouldn't want to use it if I was going to have lefties over (see above - you won't invite them and won't care about it). The rotating device (position track) is not as good as it looks. Looks good on website, but really quite cumbersome once I got it. I don't actually use it now.

3. Divot action is fantastic. Just buy the insert - nothing else.

4. 20K won't get you much more than a GC2/software/computer and screen/mat.

5. For swing catalyst + balance plate + 2 decent cameras, add another 10-15K. For force plate add $25K. There may be less expensive options, but SC is the best.

6. CPAs advice on foam is probably spot on in terms of performance/cost. I have a double screen, but the second layer added $500. I'm sure foam would be cheaper and probably better.

7. If you want to save money, really consider using swingbyte2 or sky pro. They are only about $150 and a good alternative to cameras.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hula73 View Post
    If i could put the tee at 8' from screen then i am golden....wont i get alot of kickback at 8'?

My screen is probably only 8' from the GC2. I should probably take pictures tonight. I get occasional kickback, but nothing that's going to scare me or limit my swing. Occasionally when hitting a short iron or wedge, I got some high kickback where the ball would bounce high and to the right and literally bounce off my screen land on top of the GC2. So definitely get a protective cradle!

I have Foresight's new protective cradle (the one that's compatible with the HMT). I have had a few instances already where a golf ball has landed on the plastic LCD screen. So far no damage to the GC2.

One of these days I have to take pictures of my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    My screen is probably only 8' from the GC2. I should probably take pictures tonight. I get occasional kickback, but nothing that's going to scare me or limit my swing. Occasionally when hitting a short iron or wedge, I got some high kickback where the ball would bounce high and to the right and literally bounce off my screen land on top of the GC2. So definitely get a protective cradle!

I have Foresight's new protective cradle (the one that's compatible with the HMT). I have had a few instances already where a golf ball has landed on the plastic LCD screen. So far no damage to the GC2.

One of these days I have to take pictures of my setup.
    If you could take pictures that would be awesome!!! The more information i can see before then better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GolfMonster2 View Post
    Great setup. I thought I had one of the better systems on here, but your's leaves mine for dead.

1. You will use the room less for other people than you anticipate. You will think about how your friends will think your room is so cool, and have loads of them round, but once that novelty wears off, it will be just you working on your game. You first, friends secondary.

2. GC2/HMT is great, but I wouldn't want to use it if I was going to have lefties over (see above - you won't invite them and won't care about it). The rotating device (position track) is not as good as it looks. Looks good on website, but really quite cumbersome once I got it. I don't actually use it now.

3. Divot action is fantastic. Just buy the insert - nothing else.

4. 20K won't get you much more than a GC2/software/computer and screen/mat.

5. For swing catalyst + balance plate + 2 decent cameras, add another 10-15K. For force plate add $25K. There may be less expensive options, but SC is the best.

6. CPAs advice on foam is probably spot on in terms of performance/cost. I have a double screen, but the second layer added $500. I'm sure foam would be cheaper and probably better.

7. If you want to save money, really consider using swingbyte2 or sky pro. They are only about $150 and a good alternative to cameras.
    GM2 ...wow...that was the candor i was looking for. Thank you!!!

What is this position track that you are talking about. I may just go with swingbyte2 for now.

As the memory foam. Any ideas on how to attach it, and if so how much room do you think i need to give for clearance from screen/foam to back wall?

Brett

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    hula...at some point I'm going to put memory foam behind my screen as well. I have found good pricing on Ebay. Several on here have done this and said it helps in deadening the sound of the ball hitting the screen. I have information from Bubs that I've kept and I would also be curious on what others have done to hang memory foam if different. Here is info from how Bubs attached his foam:
    ------------------------------
    "I attached my memory foam using three separate metal strips bolted together on either side of the mattress. I then hung it on the ceiling using eyehooks screwed into the studs. That way there is not too much pull in any one spot on the mattress. Too much pull in one spot will tear it.
    I have the metal stips horizontal with 3 bolts in each of them. I got them from Lowes and they are like angle irons but flat. You can find them in the screws aisle.
    I have my foam real close to the screen. Depending on your projector you may see a small shadow if its right tight against the screen. A little space and the screen moves a little and the ball hits the matt and deadens the ball"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a link to Position Track that GM2 is referring too...I have no experience with it as I us ProTee:
    http://www.customdesigngolf.com/port...me_better_.htm

Great looking room you're building!

7 Wood Msuzippy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mcook View Post
    ------------------------------
    "I attached my memory foam using three separate metal strips bolted together on either side of the mattress. I then hung it on the ceiling using eyehooks screwed into the studs. That way there is not too much pull in any one spot on the mattress. Too much pull in one spot will tear it.
    I have the metal stips horizontal with 3 bolts in each of them. I got them from Lowes and they are like angle irons but flat. You can find them in the screws aisle.
    I have my foam real close to the screen. Depending on your projector you may see a small shadow if its right tight against the screen. A little space and the screen moves a little and the ball hits the matt and deadens the ball"
    I wish I could visualize this. If anyone here does, could they sketch it up?

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    Hula

With respect, google these things you haven't heard of yourself. Also, for the amount you are spending etc, you should read all the recent content on this forum. No prizes for asking about things that have been extensively covered in last few weeks.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Relative to 2 cameras --- will you have enough room to have a camera that allows you to do a face on view of your swing? Looks like the room will be about 15' wide. So side camera can be place back @7'..... will need some type of wide angle lens -- anyone know of a camera that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by GolfMonster2 View Post
    Hula

With respect, google these things you haven't heard of yourself. Also, for the amount you are spending etc, you should read all the recent content on this forum. No prizes for asking about things that have been extensively covered in last few weeks.

I did do a google search and came up with nothing...of course it comes down to consulting the oracle(google) correctly. For anyone else that was wondering:
    http://www.customdesigngolf.com/port...me_better_.htm

Thread Information