+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar

Productive Golf Practice

Hey, so I just wanted to ask people what they do for productive golf practicing. I believe in its importance and making sure you make every practice efficient and put to good use on improving. There is no since wasting your time and money going to the range just to hit golf balls. It needs to be more than that, there needs to be a reason for every time you are going. Whether it be to maintain your golf swing throughout the winter, to work on approach shots, to work on your drive, or to work on your short game.

Now, alot of people believe working on your short game is the most important piece to a golf game. This is something I believe is not true, of course putting is verry important to attaining lower scores, I think there is something else a little bit more important. How, can you attempt to get low scores if you are not in the fairway for your second shot. The worst thing that can happen in golf is not have a clear second shot. This is the most important thing in a golf round, because having to punch out of the woods or drop a ball because you went into the water hazzard or the OB is what cost you scores.

So the most important thing for me is working on my driving at the range, making sure I can get the ball as close to my target line as possible. This is of course right down the middle, understanding how to do this is very important. Now, practicing it is even more important. Once you understand how it works and how to get the ball down your target line, you can begin to practice your consistency on it. The work on shaping shots to improve your ability to get the ball in the fairway on what ever obstacle the course hands you.

I believe putting most of your practice into your long game is beneficial to you, and less time practicing around and on the greens will lower your scores. I would say If I was going to the range for a 2 hour practice session I would allocate 1hour and half to my long game. 45minutes just working on my driving ability, and the rest of the 45minutes to work on approach shots.

15minutes of chipping and 15 minutes of putting, this is 15 minutes of productive practicing not droping a ball down on the putting green and just whacking away at the hole. Practicing the putting stroke, my green reading abilities and workong especially on my weight, assuring that I am not putting more then twice on any green.

For chipping drop 5-10 balls, and look at a target attempt to get all within 6feet of the hole or closer. Making sure you put the ball as close to the hole as possible, and then go and tap it in with the putter.

Chipping and putting go hand in hand, and I like to work on them together and share the 30 minutes of practice.

Now, this is is for my giant rant of productivity just felt like sharing please feel free to add on your practice routine in this thread as I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

Thanks,
    savosean
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    I would rank my shots for scoring well as follows: Drive, putt, chip, second shot. Getting a drive down the middle just sets up the rest of the shots. Get the driver working and you feel so good about the upcoming shots, shanking a drive then scrambling for the rest of hole just doesn't help you score.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    I would rank my shots for scoring well as follows: Drive, putt, chip, second shot. Getting a drive down the middle just sets up the rest of the shots. Get the driver working and you feel so good about the upcoming shots, shanking a drive then scrambling for the rest of hole just doesn't help you score.
    Well said, its certainly something that puts you into the right direction. Having a good drive day, just seems to make everything a little easier.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    It would seem that Eduardo Molinari agrees with you: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jaso...ps-short-game/
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    It would seem that Eduardo Molinari agrees with you: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jaso...ps-short-game/
    I believe there is more the just Molinari who would agree with me...

Edit : thanks for the post btw, was a good read.

Thread Information