CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Local Club Fitting

So I know shops exist in the Ottawa area that do custom fitting. Very precise I'm told.

I will be going through this process as it's time for a new set of irons and to be finally properly fit for my entire bag. My current ball flight is great for the Scottish golf, but is detrimental to my local golf game.

My question is this. In comparison to shops like Modern Golf in the GTA, who carry all of the big name clubs and shafts, where do the local club fitting stores/shops compare?

Can I go to a local shop if I'm looking for non-component sets?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I think Don at Artisan golf was rated in the top 100 clubfitters in North America. Stay away from GT and GW.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I think Don at Artisan golf was rated in the top 100 clubfitters in North America. Stay away from GT and GW.
    I've heard Don is great. I'm just concerned with the availability of shafts/equipment. KZG and the likes seem to be the advertised brands.

Say for example I was interested in non-component brands?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you had a set of heads that you wanted to tune in for shafts, Don can certainly do that. If you are looking to try different OEM heads and shafts at the same time I don't think any of the local fitters offer that service.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Fair enough.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    For me, the ideal option would be to find heads you like and get Don to get them set up for you.

I've been playing the same irons for 6 years now (Mp-62) and this is what I will do at some point in the future.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If you had a set of heads that you wanted to tune in for shafts, Don can certainly do that. If you are looking to try different OEM heads and shafts at the same time I don't think any of the local fitters offer that service.

I think Haime's has the standard OEM fitting carts, and you get to see the actual ball flight.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I think Haime's has the standard OEM fitting carts, and you get to see the actual ball flight.
    That's a good point.

I wonder how their fitters are. Has anyone had any experience with them? I'm concerned that perhaps besides Kevin himself, the others may be no better than GT fitters.

I'm looking for a fitting for the entire bag. This is a $350 service at Modern Golf.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think he has Flightscope or Trackman, so at the very least you will be getting real-time and believable data.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Txxxxxxx;491368].

My current ball flight is great for the Scottish golf, but is detrimental to my local golf game.
    QUOTE]

How so?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

[QUOTE=Chieflongtee;491392]
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post

My current ball flight is great for the Scottish golf, but is detrimental to my local golf game.
    QUOTE]

How so?
    I hit the ball lower than average with my irons. It's very difficult to attack pins with a 6 or 7 iron if there is not a lot of room to land the ball and run up to the pin.

For example. I played my home course yesterday, Eagle Creek. There were quite a few pin placements that were tucked back corner behind bunkers. This is common. Instead of maybe having a 15 footer for birdie opportunity, my choices were to hit to the middle of the green and putt from 30-40 feet, or be chipping from the rough behind the green if I aimed at the pin.

Point is, the fact my ball flight is so low in comparison to pretty much everyone I play with, hurts my score.

The ONLY time I've ever hit irons high is when I tried out some Callaway X-Forged when they first came out. I'm not sure if they have a lower centre of gravity, and more sole weight, but I was hitting them with the same shafts I current play, and the difference was night and day.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What iron/shaft combo are you gaming now?

Do you hit your woods on a low trajectory too?

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    This may be a silly question, but have you gone to see an instructor for a lesson? I know many people like to blame the equipment (as do I, especially my driver) but maybe its something that you can correct in your swing such as moving the ball more forward etc.

What happens if you give one of your buddies your clubs to hit?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What iron/shaft combo are you gaming now?

Do you hit your woods on a low trajectory too?
    I play Taylormade R7 TP (4,5,6). My 7-PW are Taylormade TP MB. All shafted with Project-X shafts.

It's time for a new set for sure. They're in great shape, but I'd definitely benefit from a fitting and getting into a club and shaft combo that negated a higher ball flight.

As far as driver and woods go. It's all dependant on which shaft and head combo I've played. Those are the only clubs I've changed with the exception of my putter, since the R7s came out!

I also find that doing a fitting for a driver off a rubber tee is not very accurate. In fact, I'm not sure how true the numbers are with a rubber tee cupping such a large portion of the bottom of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    This may be a silly question, but have you gone to see an instructor for a lesson? I know many people like to blame the equipment (as do I, especially my driver) but maybe its something that you can correct in your swing such as moving the ball more forward etc.

What happens if you give one of your buddies your clubs to hit?
    Yes I've adjusted my ball position etc.

I'm a 3.9 index so I've done a bunch of tweaking with the help of golf pros and instructors. I'm pretty happy with my swing.

I've only come to the conclusion that the irons are lowering my flight to a certain extent, by comparing them to my experiences with the Callaways. In fact, just two months ago I tried my buddy's Callaways in Scotland. They were a newer version of X-Forged. Hit the same club off the tee on a par three as I did with my own club. The difference was huge.

My swing is generally one that compresses the ball. So I get good distance with my irons and spin is also not an issue. I know this will generally cause a slightly lower ball flight. And I could accept this as the only factor if I did not get different results from different irons. It's not as though my divots are four inches into the ground. Hahah!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I play Taylormade R7 TP (4,5,6). My 7-PW are Taylormade TP MB. All shafted with Project-X shafts.

It's time for a new set for sure. They're in great shape, but I'd definitely benefit from a fitting and getting into a club and shaft combo that negated a higher ball flight.
    The PX are generally a lower flying shaft for sure.

The good news is, lots of good options out there. That's also the bad news, lots of stuff to choose from so deciding won't be easy.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The PX are generally a lower flying shaft for sure.

The good news is, lots of good options out there. That's also the bad news, lots of stuff to choose from so deciding won't be easy.
    Yeah it's definitely a huge market now. Everyone seems to be making at least one great iron set. I'm a feel player, so that's pretty important. So I can delete cast clubs out of the decision making as far as I'm concerned.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Kevin Haime has fitting carts for most of the major brands. When I got fit there by Adam a few years ago we spent a little over an hour just on my irons. We started with length, then he built me clubs from all the various manufactures. Once I found 2-3 that I liked the look and feel of we spent the next 30 minutes or so going through at least 20 different shafts until we found one that gave me the ideal ball flight. Ironically, I bought the clubs that I said at Golftown the week before I would never buy. As long as you go in with a somewhat open mind you'll come out ahead. (I refuse to use Callaway's no matter how much they help my game simply because of the back-and-forth that has developed with my brother over the past 5 years. I can't give in).

I was new to the game, and i was absolutely shocked to see the different ball flight simply based on the different shafts in a club. It took quite a few before we found a shaft that produced a high arching, but not ballooning ball flight. I used those clubs for the next 4 years before I got refitted for my current AP2s

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Kevin Haime has fitting carts for most of the major brands. When I got fit there by Adam a few years ago we spent a little over an hour just on my irons. We started with length, then he built me clubs from all the various manufactures. Once I found 2-3 that I liked the look and feel of we spent the next 30 minutes or so going through at least 20 different shafts until we found one that gave me the ideal ball flight. Ironically, I bought the clubs that I said at Golftown the week before I would never buy. As long as you go in with a somewhat open mind you'll come out ahead. (I refuse to use Callaway's no matter how much they help my game simply because of the back-and-forth that has developed with my brother over the past 5 years. I can't give in).

I was new to the game, and i was absolutely shocked to see the different ball flight simply based on the different shafts in a club. It took quite a few before we found a shaft that produced a high arching, but not ballooning ball flight. I used those clubs for the next 4 years before I got refitted for my current AP2s
    Sounds like a good experience for sure. I was hoping someone would have some feedback from there. Their prices go from $195 to $225 for a complete bag fitting.

The big upside to the component fitters is the fact you can play around with more variables. I have only found Modern Golf to provide a service that go beyond, L/L/L. Meaning swing weight, soft stepping, etc...

The downside is the lack of major brand fitting carts.

Thread Information