CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Ace Travis is on a distinguished road

Long Drive gear question

I enjoyed reading the article that Don from Artisan Golf published in the latest edition of Flagstick magazine about the results of the TrackMan data that he collected on the net effects of changing driver lengths and lofts across a wide spectrum of golfing abilities.

After reading that, it got me thinking...This is probably a question best suited for the club fitters on this board but I'm sure there are many others that may be able to weigh in this as well....I'm curious what the average gain in yardage is from someone who goes from a properly fit "regular" golf driver into the same specs but in the equivalent long drive gear.

For example, trying to make all things equal...if John Doe hits it 300 yards with his current Callaway XHot Pro 46 inch, 7 degree driver (with upgraded shaft) how far will he hit a 46 inch 7 degree driver XHot Pro LD (with upgraded LD shaft). Don't forget to factor in the crazy hot long drive balls they use as well.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Probably very little difference unless the LD components somehow magically translate into more clubhead speed.

Since the specs you gave have the same loft and length it is unlikely that they will result in a noticeable increase is speed.

Clubhead speed is the overwhelming contributor to distance. Launch angle and spin are also important but those are primarily determined by loft.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Maybe the only thing that makes LD clubs LD clubs is that they are simply designed to withstand the absolute punishment that they repeatedly undergo?? So in that case, the answer to my question is, like you said, effectively zero change.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Probably very little difference unless the LD components somehow magically translate into more clubhead speed.

Since the specs you gave have the same loft and length it is unlikely that they will result in a noticeable increase is speed.

Clubhead speed is the overwhelming contributor to distance. Launch angle and spin are also important but those are primarily determined by loft.

Correct John, as usual but allow me to elaborate a little.

Clubhead speed is the #1 contributor to distance, but without center of face contact, it's a waste of energy. That's why better results are achieved with the shorter length driver.

My experiences with some customers have actually been an increase in clubhead speed with a shorter driver along with more consistent center hits witch I attribute to a more manageable length allowing for better tempo and keeping the club on plane.

The extra distance, if any , gained by the new standard length OEM drivers is peanuts in terms of real yards. 2 mph is good for an extra 4 to 6 yards, maybe, depending where on the face you make contact and where the ball ends up !.

Yes, L A and spin are primarily determined by loft but the effective loft at impact is the product of the angle of attack and face angle with said loft.

All of this is just common sense fitting 101 and nothing new in terms of discoveries.

Just had to chime in on this one.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Correct John, as usual but allow me to elaborate a little.

Clubhead speed is the #1 contributor to distance, but without center of face contact, it's a waste of energy. That's why better results are achieved with the shorter length driver.

My experiences with some customers have actually been an increase in clubhead speed with a shorter driver along with more consistent center hits witch I attribute to a more manageable length allowing for better tempo and keeping the club on plane.

The extra distance, if any , gained by the new standard length OEM drivers is peanuts in terms of real yards. 2 mph is good for an extra 4 to 6 yards, maybe, depending where on the face you make contact and where the ball ends up !.

Yes, L A and spin are primarily determined by loft but the effective loft at impact is the product of the angle of attack and face angle with said loft.

All of this is just common sense fitting 101 and nothing new in terms of discoveries.

Just had to chime in on this one.
    Well said.

I have always found I get more control, and the same, if not more distance with a slightly shorter driver. Better contact as well as far as sweet spot.

+1 for this theory/mindset

At the very end of last year I switched drivers to a 44.5 inch hammer even though I am 6'6 tall with average length arms.

The result? I probably had the best year driving the golf ball in my entire life. Single best club change ever

Thread Information