116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stonebridge

22 18.97%
  • eQuinelle

94 81.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    It just goes to show how differently different people see a course layout. Houses, background noises etc. actually force me to focus more. I don't find them distracting at all. Conversely, although I love playing the likes of Legacy at Greensmere etc., wide-open spaces, quiet forested areas and little to no background noise has a tendency to lull me into some unwanted complacency...and my shot success, accordingly. Interesting....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    EQ for me - play it the most and I find it plenty challenging - 7,8,9 are "interesting" on the front 9 and 16 and 17 on the back nine can be interesting as well. (17 for me anyway) even putting my drive in the fairway I find that green hard to hit with my second.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    interesting result, 35-7 for equinelle so far....I thought it would be a little closer than that. for the record i didn't vote as I like them both equally, for different reasons.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I thought it would have been closer as well...both have some positives, Stonebridge has a club house, eQuinelle does not (Till 2014), eQuinelle has a Great Practice facility, Stonebridge has 2 rubber matts and a net (They will never have one either I think). Once eQuinelle gets congested with housing like Stonebridge, it may be a different story....

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I thought it would have been closer as well...both have some positives, Stonebridge has a club house, eQuinelle does not (Till 2014), eQuinelle has a Great Practice facility, Stonebridge has 2 rubber matts and a net (They will never have one either I think). Once eQuinelle gets congested with housing like Stonebridge, it may be a different story....
    good points Craig. Definitely different styles of course for sure. I think equinelle is the place I want to be if I am having a bad day as its a lot more forgiving (minus 7/8/9). I heard EQ will get its clubhouse this winter but don't quote me on that. it looks to be pretty darn nice according to the drawings. Now if they could only move it 20 min closer to town.

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    Too many bugs at Equinelle. Stonebridge is a much more challenging track which I enjoy.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    For me the houses have got nothing to do with missed shots.
    It a purely aesthetic thing. One of the reasons I love playing golf is the visual appeal and the sense of escape. A few hours away from it all. I don't get that same feeling playing through a housing estate.
    To each their own but for my tastes I prefer a sense of seclusion and escapism.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    For me the houses have got nothing to do with missed shots.
    It a purely aesthetic thing. One of the reasons I love playing golf is the visual appeal and the sense of escape. A few hours away from it all. I don't get that same feeling playing through a housing estate.
    To each their own but for my tastes I prefer a sense of seclusion and escapism.
    ^
    That

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Stonebridge for me but I hate most of their greens and sand. I know this sounds silly but the bunkers are too soft sandy and cause me fits. Stonebridge is the tougher course and and the more intimidating first tee shot.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    BTW, last week Stonebridge has spreaded some sand around the fringe of the green on a few holes..it's not puttable if you ball lands in them. From afar it looks like dead grass !

Fairways are also aerated

8 Iron alexvangulik is on a distinguished road alexvangulik's Avatar
    As a member at Stonebridge I personally chose it over Equinelle probably because I know the course and it's distances..

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    There's a comment for another debate... Which course has the most intimidating first tee shot?
    I would actually say that eQuinelle has the tougher tee shot but Stonebridge has a much tougher second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    There's a comment for another debate... Which course has the most intimidating first tee shot?
    I would actually say that eQuinelle has the tougher tee shot but Stonebridge has a much tougher second shot.
    depends. One calls for a draw, the other a fade. Since I hit a draw, EQ first tee shot is an easier shot for me. No arguement on the 2nd shot.

That's funny, I thought they both called for a straight tee shot!
    Haha

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    depends. One calls for a draw, the other a fade. Since I hit a draw, EQ first tee shot is an easier shot for me. No arguement on the 2nd shot.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    That's funny, I thought they both called for a straight tee shot!
    Haha
    And I would have said the opposite of jeffc....draw it on 1 at Stonebridge to stay out of the hazard, and fade it away from the lake at Equinelle.

That said, the straight shot always works.....if you aim in the right direction!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Straight and ABOVE the water works too Heading there in 45 minutes
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    And I would have said the opposite of jeffc....draw it on 1 at Stonebridge to stay out of the hazard, and fade it away from the lake at Equinelle.

That said, the straight shot always works.....if you aim in the right direction!
    what's a straight shot? lol

really though, fading it on one at EQ means your ball is going in the wrong direction, away from the hole leaving you a much longer approach.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

really though, fading it on one at EQ means your ball is going in the wrong direction, away from the hole leaving you a much longer approach.
    Yes but it's dry...;-)

I'd rather have 180 in from the right center than dropping up by the ladies tee

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    At EQ depends on the wind that day.... mostly just straight over the bunkers on the left. If the wind is up... maybe it's more safely in the fairway to the right of the bunkers.

I don't know if you ideally fade or draw your ball towards the water??? I guess some people do...

I will stick with my straight ball!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I prefer the huge 90 yard slice off of one on Stonebridge from the back tees with two groups watching, straight into the back of a house made of windows at 7am that somehow didn't break anything aside from the Marshall's smile.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I hit a fade off of EQ 1 with driver and it's normally delicious.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I hit a fade off of EQ 1 with driver and it's normally delicious.
    If I could hit a fade on 1 at equinelle and have 55 yards left, I would call it more than delicious!
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW--hit it straight off 1 today at Stonebridge---a little less roll today as the fairways have all been punched but most of the sand around the greens has disappeared. Beautiful day---shot an 82. Off to the Adirondacks for a few days for some high mountain golf
    Get out if you can--it's going to end sometime
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar
    I live right beside Equinelle, play it pretty often usually twilight times due to the cost. They plan on building quite a club house pretty soon as well. Once the clubhouse is up it really will have it all. I have played my worst and best round at Stonebridge and rank it as one of the best courses in the area. Condition wise I rank them both about the same. Have to give the edge to Equinelle due to the better practice facilities, a bit more forgiving and its close for me.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Sand Wedge pingzzing is on a distinguished road
    If cost is a factor, rumour has it that Equinelle is open to negotiating discounts to the posted rates for memberships. Discounts are in the 10% range depending on how many join together as a group - might be worth looking into.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Stonebridge for me. Location is central. Clubhouse is lovely. The houses are luxurious which is visually appealing. The houses on equinelle are bloody ugly, too much siding in too many different colours. Looks tacky as hell.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I voted for Equinelle. It's not the quality of the houses that bug me but the number. It just seems a blatant money grab that definitely cuts the scenery. There are ways to tactfully sell properties around a golf course without killing the wilderness. Greensmere, Canadian, Pakenham, Calabogie, Loch March are good examples. I have't been to Equinelle for a couple of years but it seemed much better than Stonebridge.

I love the house property on Loch March #6. I recall Pink Floyd Animals playing from the back yard once while I was about to be fleeced after topping my second shot into the pines there. The sheep song soothed me enough to be able to par the hole and delay the fleecing till #7.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

6 Iron tclost is on a distinguished road
    The clubhouse for Equinelle isnt coming anytime soon. They were suppose to start in October. There is a battle bewtween the homeowners and the owner of EQ homes. They are trying to build a Recreation center attached to the clubhouse which they want 10k from homeowners and some homeowners are not having any part of that. Its really sad that I live in the community and purchased my house for this reason to be so close to a golf course and I am doing Golf * this year and refuse to support that course. The owners attitude is we have the nicest golf course in Eastern Ont and people are going to come whether it be a Portable or Clubhouse. That doesnt sit well with me. Every golf course needs a clubhouse and the Rec center is for the Equinelle Community not for the golfers outside the community so I am not sure why the golfers have to suffer. I am even thinking about selling as well seeing there is no benefit to live in the community.

Your situation is not good, especially if you bought expecting a clubhouse... BUT

On the other side of the coin, I am someone who doesn't care at all if they ever build a "true clubhouse". Other than stepping inside to pay my fees, I don't need to go in there. I really enjoy the course, but I know a lot of golfers who don't care about what a clubhouse has to offer, and in fact would prefer the "trailer" they have if it kept greens fee prices down.

The owners are right that a lot of golfers will show up, clubhouse or not...

Stonebridge has a really nice clubhouse... And I never use it either, especially with their snack shack out near the 10th tee...

Thread Information