• Stonebridge

22 18.97%
  • eQuinelle

94 81.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Stonebridge vs Equinele

This should be a goodie. Played Equinele yesterday after a couple of years--enjoyed it . My preference is Stonebridge---nothing bad to say about either one--shot the same score at each 88---15.9 HC

What say you all ???
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    This should be a goodie. Played Equinele yesterday after a couple of years--enjoyed it . My preference is Stonebridge---nothing bad to say about either one--shot the same score at each 88---15.9 HC

What say you all ???
    If Stonebridge had a decent back nine it would be one of the best courses in Ottawa, Equinelle wins in my opinion.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Equinelle hands down for me. It's the greens I like better. Faster and not as crazy on the undulations. One of my favorite courses in the Ottawa area. Find both too expensive but they are both great.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I like them both, split 50/50. If equinelle were a bit closer I would probably favour it but I love both courses.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I prefer Stonebrige for my lenght and enjoy the layout.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I like Stonebridge, but I like Equinelle better.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    played both in the last week. Equally enjoyable. Layouts outstanding, greens not the best quality for both, but could be time of year. Stonebridge had much worse food/beverage service, about the only difference in my outing.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    From a comparable distance, eQuinelle is easier, with the greens challenging, but fair.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I'm a target golf guy....Stonebridge is my favourite in this regard...although I do love 'em both!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I love them both, Stonebridge is a bit too quirky, Equinelle feels more like old school golf to me.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I am 7 or 8 shots better at Stonebridge. I like both courses a lot. Obviously the back tees at each course are quite different in length which is probably why my scores vary so much.
    From the tips Equinelle has some really tough, long Par 4s whereas Stonebridge doesn't have the same challenges.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Equinelle, hands down!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Stonebridge is harder which is why it gets my vote
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Very interesting comments so far... Just goes to show how each course fits someones eye differently.
    I hit the ball about 250 off the tee, I hit a 7 iron about 155-160, I have a very good short game and am a solid putter.
    I find Stonebridge to be my favourite course to play and other than the 1st and 4th holes, there isn't a single hole that "bothers" me.

But after reading people comments that eQuinelle is easier, I figure I should play better there. So clearly, I have some head games going on, because my scores at eQuinelle are normally around 78, but Stonebridge I am often around even par.

The more I think about it, I realize that eQuinelle has wider fairways, easier rough, easier greens, more areas to "miss" and yet somehow it is much tougher for me... So clearly for me its the added yardage that makes it tougher...

Or maybe it's just a mental thing! hahaha

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I absolutely love both courses.

I have never played the tips on either course, but have played blues for both courses many many times. I find Stonebridge to be tougher from the blue than eQuinelle for the simple reason that Stonebridge can expose any weakness. You have to hit the ball straight off the tee. You have to hit solid irons to make it to the right part of green. If you are not on the green you have to have the right short game to get up and down. and finally you have to putt real well.

eQuinelle lets you get away with the odd bad shot here and there. Stonebridge almost never does.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have tried a few times to vote but I can't pull the trigger either way.

Stonebridge has always had a place in my heart, having spent literally hundreds of hours creating a version of the course for Links 2003, but eQuinelle is a joy to play too. It's a draw for me so I'll abstain. Unfortunately that doesn't help the ratio as much as voting twice would.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I have tried a few times to vote but I can't pull the trigger either way.

Stonebridge has always had a place in my heart, having spent literally hundreds of hours creating a version of the course for Links 2003, but eQuinelle is a joy to play too. It's a draw for me so I'll abstain. Unfortunately that doesn't help the ratio as much as voting twice would.
    As a high handicapper, I found Stonebridge is too difficult to really "enjoy" the course. eQuinelle is much more forgiving (except for the hundreds of bunkers) .

As someone said above, there aren't too many places you can miss on Stonebridge..the approaches to the undulated greens are not easy even for the good players.

For roughly the same price, eQuinelle would be not so much a good walk spoiled !

eQuinelle for me !

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I love them both .
    I hated Stonebridge when I first played it , because i found it really difficult (for my game at the time) and didn't care for the layout , but the course gained more and more respect from me and I absolutely love playing it . It's always challenging and the conditions are year after year one of the best public courses in Ottawa.
    When Equinelle opened , it was in fantastic shape from the first season . I find it a lot more forgiving and open than Stonebridge , but it's a more picturesque course , for the moment , I've shot the same low score at both courses .
    If Equinelle was closer , I'd play it more , but I honestly can't decide which one i like better.
    It's great to have both options available to a public player.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Equinelle hands down. I'm not a huge fan of stonebridge as I really don't enjoy playing through such a built up residential area with the houses so dense and close. Every time I've played there I haven't really enjoyed it and I have played well when I have played there. I hope eQuinelle doesn't end up the same

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Equinelle hands down. I'm not a huge fan of stonebridge as I really don't enjoy playing through such a built up residential area with the houses so dense and close. Every time I've played there I haven't really enjoyed it and I have played well when I have played there. I hope eQuinelle doesn't end up the same
    it's already getting there. give it a few more years and it will be the same.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    eQuinelle hands down. If it were Stonebridge of old, it might be closer, but putting houses on the driving range, straying from the 10 minute tee times and "you're too slow - we'll ask you to leave and give you a nine hole voucher for another day", filling in a sand trap or two to presumably make it a bit easier... all those things have soured me and tilts my scale to eQuinelle.

Were eQuinelle 15 minutes outside of downtown Ottawa or Toronto it would have a shot at being one of the most popular courses in a fifty kilometer radius!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I like them both, though I prefer Stonebridge in its present configuration. Since I've only played Equinelle a couple of times, it may not have had a chance to grow on me as Stonebridge has.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I play Stonebridge from the blues and find it a lot of fun and enjoy the course but there are way too may houses along the course. Equinelle when played from the blues is much harder for me, and I never score well there but I really like the layout and the quality of the fairways and greens. I have played way more rounds at Stonbridge when compared to how much I have played Equinelle.
    I will vote for Equinelle but those houses going in on the left side of those holes on the front nine are insanely close to the tee box and the fairway and I am sure it will look crowded soon like Stonebridge already is.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Do the houses really bother people that much?
    I find that surprising. I never figured that would be an issue.
    It takes a pretty brutal miss to be anywhere near a backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Do the houses really bother people that much?
    I find that surprising. I never figured that would be an issue.
    It doesn't really bother me but given the choice, I prefer no houses to houses. The ones at SB don't come into play but there are some courses where they do and that can be a nuisance.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Welcome to amateur golf.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I actually prefer the courses with the houses like Stonebridge because it seems to do a better job of eliminating the bugs!!!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Yeah, I don't get the 'the house' thing on Stonebridge either? I could see it if the course was tight and the houses came into play if you strayed a bit such as at Cedarhill. But that's not the case on Stonebridge???
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Houses you can see from the course make a course visually less appealing than parkland/countryside. During the housing construction phase, which takes several years, the noise of the construction is very distracting. After that, music from the houses, kids playing and generally people just doing what they do in their back yards while you play. It's just not as secluded and peaceful. Not too big a deal for me, but I do prefer the countryside. Courses through neighborhoods makes more sense in more densely populated areas where the distance to the countryside courses would be prohibitive. They have not been too common around here, that is until the wave of recent urban course developments that would also include Gatineau GC.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I don't get the house thing either---you want houses close by----go south. I thought that being a residential course and incorporating the Wildlife Theme they did a great job. I've played some courses that they can serve beer and burgers off their patios

I do agree with all the pros and cons---I guess that is what makes this game an individual one
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information