100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar

What brings you back to the course?

I keep thinking that next round I will either hit a 300 yard drive down the middle or make a hole in one.

Considering I have never done either (best drive was about 280 and closest to the pin was probably 6 or 8 feet), the odds of doing either on my next round are very slim, but that is why I go back.

1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar
    Just the question I have been wanting to answer.

Lets start from the beginning, every time you go to the course its something new. You never have the same baseball diamond, the same basketball court or the same hockey rink. You are always changing what field you are playing on. Whether it be the change of the cups position, the fact it has rained hard in the last couple days or its just been really really hot. Its a different scenario, every time you head out to the course. Also, wanting to shoot that lower score is the biggest factor. You can shoot a great score, but once you do that you know you have it in you to do even better. So you want to return to beat that high score you have set, or in gold I should say the low score you set.

Trying to get that perfect swing, attempting to make sure every shot you shoot is right on target like the pros. Having the dream of one day making it on tour. You say to yourself every time you watch a golf tournament, "I can do that, why are they pro and not me". So then you take all your day thinking about what you can do to improve your golf game to be on tour.

Your want to master the concept of golf, your want to master the short game, your want to master the long game. Your want to master the game in its entirety.

And that is why I go back, that is why I wake up every morning and check golf now to get my self out there. That is why I go to the range every second day, that is why I want to be the best.

Thanks,
    sav
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    You never have the same baseball diamond, the same basketball court or the same hockey rink. You are always changing what field you are playing on.

You totally stole that from the Golf Channel! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    It's how easy it is to get pars when the game is out of reach; it's got to be easy to start my next game like that. On Monday, I parred 9 on Legacy and had been considering quitting like my partner before sinking a 30 foor downhiller, then screwed the back nine totally up till ending par, par, par. So will be back this weekend, and on, and on,
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Ever see the movie Bagger Vance, golf as a metaphor for life... for me it is like that. Others have said, you can go from zero to hero in a couple of holes and back again. You can play a great 17 and totally flub 18. Then there are just the sights and sounds of summer, get up to see the sun rising, early morning dew on the grass, the birds, friends.... Trying to find your perfect swing... It's just a great game.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I start every round by asking what the course record is. Once that record is out of reach I try to shoot 72. Once that is out of reach I try to break 80. If I am not breaking 80 I really don't care anymore what I shoot.... unless there's money on the line.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post

You totally stole that from the Golf Channel! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!
    did not steal it one bit, I have been saying this to people for the last 7 years since I started golfing. When someone says to me "why you play a * sport, one that is not even difficult." That is my response, never heard it anywhere else. But, its most certainly bound to be spoken about somewhere else. People are always thinking of things all over the world just a matter of were you hear it first I guess.
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    my car.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Rotflol

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    It's those few great shots that you remember after the round.

Some of my favorites are: a long iron to less than 10 feet, a 30 foot slider, a tough green side shot to tap-in distance, a confident tee shot on a tight hole that doesn't fit my eye, a wedge to tap-in, an up and down for par after having to play back to the fairway etc.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    the good rounds

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Good rounds? I wish! Good shots/holes, birdies and pars on a hole for the first time, and shots/holes I'd approach differently to try to beat.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Like any addiction, the first step in your rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem.

I haven't done that yet...

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    I always ask myself three questions after each round:

1- Was there one shot that I learned something from;
    2- Was there one great shot;
    3- Was the company good and if not, did I cause the bad situation?
    nice_lag
    Almonte

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    For me the foremost thing is it's a 4 1/2 hour block of time where I don't have to think about work, life, or (recently) it's a break from our 5 month old baby. I know that sounds bad, but hey, daddy needs to recharge at least once every few weeks, eh?

Secondly it's the fun and company. If you're not having fun, why do it?
    Lastly is probably tracking my own improvment. Golf and I have had a very arduous relationship over the years, but this summer (oddly enough as I'm playing less often) I seem to have turned a corner and am almost consistently in the 90's.

So, for me it's the buzz of chasing another 90 score...... or now something in the 80's since I just knocked out a 90 at Mississippi last week!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    What brought me back after a terrible round early Monday morning; was my buddy saying "Another 9?" as he had just birdy, par, parred in.

My second round was 20 shots better as it turned into another full 18. My first sip of a Caesar seemed to turn it around as I parred the first couple.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Thread Information