CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge cheezemaster is on a distinguished road

golf swing: is it really important?

been playing golf for four years. simple as it my seem i've always thought that golf was simply about getting a ball into a hole. why do people worry about the swing when its obviously not what the game's about?

I had just recently posted on distance but i can score under 90 though i've only ever played 9 or 10 rounds. broke 100 third time around. and i wasn't worried about my swing. i've always wanted more distance but i can strike well and get it to go basically dead straight every time. my putting is phenomenal (not to brag or anything). so whats the big deal? why do people think the swing really matters? i have an OK golf swing but its not tour quality or anything. i'm just wondering because i can strike the ball perfectly and straight without sound mechanics. though i hate the quality of my distance i still score well. won a tournament too. why on earth do people overthink? isn't golf as simple as hitting a ball into a hole?

Post your opinions please and please keep them positive.

Note: i've only played 10 rounds in my entire life so obviously i won't score as well. though i do hit balls every day in my yard without worrying about targets. so in reality i've only played golf for about two months, though i've been hitting balls for four years. just sayin...

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar
    A good golf swing or a technically sound golf swing is what is going to lead to lower scores. If you play golf for pure enjoyment and are happy with breaking 100 or 90 then great! At the end of the day your right its about getting the ball in the hole and if you have watched Tommy "Two gloves" Gainey tonight on the golf channel show "Playing lessons with the pros" he is one of the few players in the world who has taken a nasty technically unsound golf swing and made it work for him. But in most cases if you want to shoot low scores on a consistent basis you need to be technically sound. And just a note, if your swing was more sound you would probably get more distance.

Some people do overthink the golf swing and if your mind is racing on the T-block you will not have good results. For me I studied the golf swing then hit the range. Now I am far from a pro but when I miss a shot I know what I did wrong.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezemaster View Post
    though i hate the quality of my distance i still score well. won a tournament too.
    With the right teacher I think you could Be really good. Any pro aspirations?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    So you strike it dead perfect, straight and you are a phenomal putter too, someone sign this guy to a contract asap!!

once again i've only ever played 9 or 10 rounds and broken 100 on my third try. most people cant say that. still i've been improving on every single round without worry of swing or anything. and ive worked on my swing and it is fundamentally correct. i just recently found a man named cameron strachan who agrees with my ideas. he says the swing isn't important, and i can agree. jim furyk had won a us open with his swing and recently shot 59. jack nicklaus had won 18 majors. arnold palmer with 8 and was a long hitter. some of my club players with hideous swings and they are scratch. and very long hitters. i'm just wondering if the swing really is important or if its mainly just about impact. you don't hit the ball with your backswing nor do you hit it with your follow through. the backswing is just that, a backswing. the forward swingt is when the ball is long gone, so all thats left is impact, and no one can really teach that because it lasts a millionth of a second. so in my opinion its about simply trying to hit the ball. if you can hit the ball you're doing fine. at least this is my opinion. in the end is it really necessary to have a gorgeous backswing and picture perfect follor through? you don't hit the ball with either.

the basic fundamentals are mainly aim grip posture and general setup. the swing isn't a fundamental because everyone's swing is different.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    once again i've only ever played 9 or 10 rounds and broken 100 on my third try. most people cant say that. still i've been improving on every single round without worry of swing or anything. and ive worked on my swing and it is fundamentally correct. i just recently found a man named cameron strachan who agrees with my ideas. he says the swing isn't important, and i can agree. jim furyk had won a us open with his swing and recently shot 59. jack nicklaus had won 18 majors. arnold palmer with 8 and was a long hitter. some of my club players with hideous swings and they are scratch. and very long hitters. i'm just wondering if the swing really is important or if its mainly just about impact. you don't hit the ball with your backswing nor do you hit it with your follow through. the backswing is just that, a backswing. the forward swingt is when the ball is long gone, so all thats left is impact, and no one can really teach that because it lasts a millionth of a second. so in my opinion its about simply trying to hit the ball. if you can hit the ball you're doing fine. at least this is my opinion. in the end is it really necessary to have a gorgeous backswing and picture perfect follor through? you don't hit the ball with either.
    No offense, but there is so much wrong in this post I don't know where to start.

First off, did you really break 100? Did you play by the rules? Did you count every stroke, including penalty strokes? It is very common for beginner golfers to "break 100" when if fact they are very far away from that.

What great golf knowledge do you have in your 10 rounds that tells you your swing is "fundamentally correct"? If you swing was so good you'd be hitting driver a lot longer than 170 yards at your age. When I was that age (30 years ago, so the equipment was a lot less forgiving than today) I hit it about 250 with driver.

You are correct in that a "pretty swing" does not always mean good results. What matters is getting the club in the correct position at impact. How you get there doesn't really matter BUT some ways are more repeatable than others. So, while a "pretty swing" isn't important, the swing actually is. That is how you hit the ball.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I have to ask: What course or courses do you play?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

generally i had broken 100 in the tounament that i had played and if i had broken any rules they would have disqualified me, so yes i had broken 100. i have worked on my swing for four years though ive only ever played 10 rounds. i practiced every single day in my yard teaching myself. every golf pro i have gone to said they don't need to teach me anything. my swing is fine they say. obviously if i wanted more distance i would swing hard as i just today found out. what i'm saying is that golf is a logic game. moe norman once said its not how good your swing is but its how good your mind is. and he was the best golfer and ball striker who ever lived. if you've never heard of him, look him up please. and moe had a hideous golf swing. i don't work on my swing anymore because i don't feel its very important. my only question is is why people take the game so dang seriously? if you want to improve your score you get the ball in the hole in fewer strokes. you don't work on a swing posotion or something like that. and generally i don't score well mainly because i haven't ever been on the course more than 10 times, so i'm a beginner basically yet an advanced player because i understand golf and how to improve on skills. why i'm writing this post is to ask you one question: why do you take golf so seriously? why has golf instruction got it wrong? why do you think golf is life or death? why is the swing considered important when we have pros like jim furyk and nicklus palmer moe norman and so many others, who were absolutely phenominal players? i want to tell you that i can hit the ball 290 when i swing as hard as i can. the pros arent swinging easy. i want you to know that golf isn't difficult. i've improved my score over 5 rounds when i took this approach. took about 7 strokes off. get the ball into the hole in as fewest amount of stokes that you can. some questions answered:

how do we hit it farther? swing or hit HARDER.
    How do we hit it straighter? keep a square clubface at impact.
    how do we improve score? you get the ball in in fewer strokes.

It's really that simple. here's the reason behind this post:

i want you to know that it doesn't have to be difficult. i want all golfers to realize what i have realized, which is the stupidity of this hilarious sport and how easy is it. you whack a ball into a little 4" hole down the park 18 times. people you're taking it too seriously. relax and over time you'll be a better golfer than you were 2 years ago.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    generally i had broken 100 in the tounament that i had played and if i had broken any rules they would have disqualified me, so yes i had broken 100. i have worked on my swing for four years though ive only ever played 10 rounds. i practiced every single day in my yard teaching myself. every golf pro i have gone to said they don't need to teach me anything. my swing is fine they say. obviously if i wanted more distance i would swing hard as i just today found out. what i'm saying is that golf is a logic game. moe norman once said its not how good your swing is but its how good your mind is. and he was the best golfer and ball striker who ever lived. if you've never heard of him, look him up please. and moe had a hideous golf swing. i don't work on my swing anymore because i don't feel its very important. my only question is is why people take the game so dang seriously? if you want to improve your score you get the ball in the hole in fewer strokes. you don't work on a swing posotion or something like that. and generally i don't score well mainly because i haven't ever been on the course more than 10 times, so i'm a beginner basically yet an advanced player because i understand golf and how to improve on skills. why i'm writing this post is to ask you one question: why do you take golf so seriously? why has golf instruction got it wrong? why do you think golf is life or death? why is the swing considered important when we have pros like jim furyk and nicklus palmer moe norman and so many others, who were absolutely phenominal players? i want to tell you that i can hit the ball 290 when i swing as hard as i can. the pros arent swinging easy. i want you to know that golf isn't difficult. i've improved my score over 5 rounds when i took this approach. took about 7 strokes off. get the ball into the hole in as fewest amount of stokes that you can. some questions answered:

how do we hit it farther? swing or hit HARDER.
    How do we hit it straighter? keep a square clubface at impact.
    how do we improve score? you get the ball in in fewer strokes.

It's really that simple. here's the reason behind this post:

i want you to know that it doesn't have to be difficult. i want all golfers to realize what i have realized, which is the stupidity of this hilarious sport and how easy is it. you whack a ball into a little 4" hole down the park 18 times. people you're taking it too seriously. relax and over time you'll be a better golfer than you were 2 years ago.
    Damn...... Im speechless, I am without speech.

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar
    I think what he fails to understand is the different levels of golf. He says he won a tournament....this does not qualify anything. Even the best golfers in the world still try and improve their game everyday, and work with swing coaches regularly. It's true as long as your club face is square at impact you will have good results but there is so much more to the game, like a short game, how to work shots and course management. Why people are so concerned about their swing is because golf is a game of constant strive for improvement, hitting the shots you want when you want is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world, it's the reason I play and I am sure others too.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You have to check out the other thread where he claims to be a coach. Still waiting for him to reply in that one.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    You have to check out the other thread where he claims to be a coach. Still waiting for him to reply in that one.
    Easy on the Cheeze.... He's having a rough day

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    why i'm writing this post is to ask you one question: why do you take golf so seriously? why has golf instruction got it wrong? why do you think golf is life or death? why is the swing considered important when we have pros like jim furyk and nicklus palmer moe norman and so many others, who were absolutely phenominal players?

Makes sense how he shot under 100, I count 4 questions there, not 1. Shoots 4 writes down 1 lol
    Last edited by calleygolf; 09-27-2013 at 12:13 PM.

guys please i'm kidding around. you guys may consider it trolling but its not. so please understand and ive offended anyone please forgive me. im writing normal posts now so that should make you guys happy. true my writing sucks calleygolf im just beginning to write so I basically suck at it. I just noticed I said I would ask one question yet asked a couple more than expected. so it needs some work. but still I am a coach ive helped many improve including many kids who were absolutely terrible. once again I apologize for my trolling and my stupidity. I was being immature. start over maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by URstillaway View Post
    I think what he fails to understand is the different levels of golf. He says he won a tournament....this does not qualify anything. Even the best golfers in the world still try and improve their game everyday, and work with swing coaches regularly. It's true as long as your club face is square at impact you will have good results but there is so much more to the game, like a short game, how to work shots and course management. Why people are so concerned about their swing is because golf is a game of constant strive for improvement, hitting the shots you want when you want is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world, it's the reason I play and I am sure others too.

improvement I golf is getting the ball in the hole in fewer strokes. if the swing mattered we wouldn't have jim furyk shooting 59 and Nicklaus with 18 majors. yes the short game is important but what matters is getting the ball on the green or near the hole not about swinging correctly to perform a short shot. you hit the ball and it goes close to where you want it. if you think about what your elbow or wrist is doing can you hit the ball at all? you may even miss the darn thing. most people want to improve but as an experienced golfer and a coach I see that the swing doesn't really matter. and youre right winning a tournament doesn't prove anything. I just wanted to tell you that so youd understand how simple and stupidly easy this game is. its so easy its laughable as murray norman once said. sorry if my writing sucks. im only beginning with writing so its probably terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    haven't checked that post in a while. might do that now

I just wanted to tell you that so youd understand how simple and stupidly easy this game is. its so easy its laughable as murray norman once said.
    Could you expand on this idea in a separate thread?

Thread Information