CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Par 5s

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    This is an interesting perspective that I haven't heard before. I'm usually looking to go at least 2 under on my 5's to make up for par 4 scoring.

My par 3 and 5 scoring has been good historically but par 4 scoring has always been my struggle. When I play poorly I have trouble off the tee and eventually one or two of the 4's will get me.

I don't mind the long 4's in general because there is usually a little more room off the tee. The tight 410-430 4's are probably my weak point.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Just a few comments and questions...

What tees were you playing?
    Set up right, aim left with cut... WHAT??? Please don't take offense, but from what I am reading, you are not a very consistent ball striker, so why are you trying shots like this?
    On #5, what club did you use for your "trying to play safe shot" and how far from pin were you?
    Under a bush is never an "unlucky lie"... An unlucky lie is in a divot in the fairway, that is unlucky. When you end up under a bush, you are just lucky to find it!
    Back to my earlier comment about ball striking... Why are you hitting driver-driver at any point?

From what I am reading, your decision making might have something to do with your scores...

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    yikes, terrible round today, but here's a short illustration

1st par 5.
    Drive OB, retee, two good shots, a little short after 5, chip up and 3 putt for a 9.

2nd par 3
    clunk a semi decent 9i, make short par putt.

3rd par 5
    setup right, aim left with cut, over do it, ball on road OB, retee play well untill short iron in, scuff it into hazard blah blah, 9

4th par 3 over water
    hit decent shot on green, a little pulled. Make short putt for par.

5th par 5, short
    nice drive (finally), try to play it safe, trying to syay away from left side, slice to edge of fairway 25y short, unlucky lie under bush, make disapointing bogey

6th par 4
    pull drive, chunk out of rough, make short bogey putt

7th par 3
    chunk iron, chip up, easy bogey ( I think )

...lot's of really bad golf...

10th long par 5
    went driver driver to 100 yard marker. thinned SW, almost made 100 foot 2 putt, easy bogey.

.. more bad golf...

That's 10 shots dropped on par 5s, 6 shots dropped for the cap. Thise was a bad day, but even so the 5s ended up being proportionally bad as well.

At least I can see the road forward.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I find every par 5 at Champlain reachable if the course is playing dry (ok maybe not #10 . .). If it is soggy then they are 3 shot holes for almost anyone.
    They are, but two of them are in the first 3 holes hen you aren't always warmed up, as stated there is OB down one side, and I haven't been pounding my tee shots this year.

I have however been on #10 in two (not this year tho). Two bombs and a strong tail wind.
    Last edited by Wknd_Warrior; 09-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Just a few comments and questions...
    What tees were you playing?
    Set up right, aim left with cut... WHAT??? Please don't take offense, but from what I am reading, you are not a very consistent ball striker, so why are you trying shots like this?
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to digress into a deep discussion of my game, my specific abilities, how I should be playing, what tees, what the status quo is for ability versus shots one should try etc...it's either off topic or something I don't care about at all. I was more hoping to encourage discussion about the various difficulties specific to the par 5s on the course, and at that mostly the mental side of things. Suffice it to say that I've been hitting the ball well enough this year to be making better scores on the 5s than I have been.

We can play some time and I'll tell ya all about my game lol, trust me.

In fact, I'm looking to redeem myself tomorrow afternoon, you're mroe than welcome to join me.
    Last edited by Wknd_Warrior; 09-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    I can add a third to that - long par 4`s kill me. I think the toughest hole at EQ for instance is 17. It shouldn`t be but it has my number. Rarely par that thing.
    That's a really tough hole that demands a tee shot long and straight.

So the flip side today, a good round as apposed to the slaughter I honestly reported previously, birdied the last for an 81 for the cap with one "7", the 10th where I picked up when I wasn't sure the ball in the greenside woods was really mine (long story), probably was my ball, would have made 8-10. 4 over on the 5s with the 7 ES cap, grrrrr...that's almost half the strokes I left on the course.

I encounter the same phenomenom with birdie putts, it's like when you finaly have a good look the pressure and expectations are huge.

I guess the game wouldn't be fun if it was easy

Thread Information